ISU to the Big East?

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Come on guys, this doesn't look so bad, now does it?

timthumb.png

crap we would have to go to florida for a game? i hear the weather sucks :jimlad:

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Just a question though, will we be allowed to have USF in Ames in November every once in a while?

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I told myself I would take the weekend off from CF, but I couldn't.

Here's my question: how much LESS money would we be willing to take to go to the Big East? I've been thinking about it. I think it would be worth about $3M to be in a conference that values us and to escape Texas.

Now I'm not the one doing the books, and I understand that money is VERY important. But when I look at the Big 12-Lite I hate it. Imagine having even fewer teams to resist Texas?

If the Big East was willing to take us in, I think the North schools should jump. Be proactive. Lets be stable for the next 40 years instead of going through all this again in a few years when Texas wants more money.

In the Big East we have more control of our destiny. Especially if there's some sort of network deal bringing in 14-15M each year.

Thoughts? Is a 2M differential really worth sacrificing our nuts?

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I didn't have anything useful to add to the conversation, just felt like adding to the post count :jimlad:

Actually, recent events bring up a plan I've been thinking all along. Forget the Pac and Big 10's of the world. The remnents of the Big XII should pick up the MWC, Big East and ACC. If we are really feeling ambitious, we add the SEC. This gives us a TON of schools and pretty much nationwide coverage. We could even get our own espn channel, which I propose naming 'the Ocho' in homage to the Big 8. Do this and,in the words of quite a few different people, Boom goes the dynamite.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
I didn't have anything useful to add to the conversation, just felt like adding to the post count :jimlad:

Actually, recent events bring up a plan I've been thinking all along. Forget the Pac and Big 10's of the world. The remnents of the Big XII should pick up the MWC, Big East and ACC. If we are really feeling ambitious, we add the SEC. This gives us a TON of schools and pretty much nationwide coverage. We could even get our own espn channel, which I propose naming 'the Ocho' in homage to the Big 8. Do this and,in the words of quite a few different people, Boom goes the dynamite.

We could call it the American Conference. All schools are welcome except for Texas. :biglaugh:

Also, I attached a map showing our current travel distance. Doesn't seem like the Big East is much worse. Tampa is the only significant distance increase, but Florida is a recruiting hot bed, as are OH and PA. Having even slight in roads to those regions is a definite plus.

Overall, I still favor the Big East over the Big 12-Lite.

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
If ISU is going to stay with the Big 12, we need to have big money (17 million is a good start) and long-term commitment (20 years for example) from the other schools written into an iron-clad contract. Otherwise, I think ISU has a better future in the Big East.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If ISU is going to stay with the Big 12, we need to have big money (17 million is a good start) and long-term commitment (20 years for example) from the other schools written into an iron-clad contract. Otherwise, I think ISU has a better future in the Big East.

I doubt you get an iron-clad contract with Texas. The only reason why they're even considering staying at this point is because the PAC 10 money may not be worth what they lose in intangibles such as travel costs. They'll stay now because it might be the better deal now, but they'll want the flexibility to leave if the better deal comes along. Any reformation of the Big 12 is going to be at the discretion of Texas, interests, which can't possibly be nearly as good as everyone is hoping for. If Texas doesn't get what they want in rebuilding the Big 12, they're just going to end it, which is why I'm concerned about what ISU may actually get out of it.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Would love the BE if I didnt think they were going to be raided, if its possible that the Big XII stays together that is going to give us the most stability

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
That article was a friendly reminder that we have only been to 13 NCAAs EVER in basketball.. Thats pretty much worse than our total number of bowl games.... ouch.

But the Big East would be awesome.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I would be in basketball heaven if we went to the Big East.

Agreed. And factor in that football would be wide open most years, and it would be a lot of fun to watch.

I would much rather go to Trice to watch us play Syracuse in football than watch New Mexico play ISU.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That article was a friendly reminder that we have only been to 13 NCAAs EVER in basketball.. Thats pretty much worse than our total number of bowl games.... ouch.

All but one of those were during a 20 year period between 1985 and 2005. If you narrowed down the appearances to the last 25 years, itd be interesting to see how that chart looked.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
All but one of those were during a 20 year period between 1985 and 2005. If you narrowed down the appearances to the last 25 years, itd be interesting to see how that chart looked.

Same if you charted from 2000 to 2010