ISU to 3D print houses

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Bump this freaking thread. and I am #1. and another notch down for the soccer threads. win-win-win.
Little known fact: "3D-print" is mentioned at least 4 times a day on PBS.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I know not all 3D house building tech is the same, but this stuff can be pretty cool if done right. We collaborate with a 3d build start-up called Icon in Austin. They’ve been developing, testing, and fine tuning their software for a few years and seem to be doing well.

Time will tell of course. They’ve had minor setbacks but their latest construction system called Vulcan seems to be working well.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've been watching this technology for the past decade. Russia was the first to do it. 3D building sounds great, but it's just that. No technology compares to modular prefabbed sections off-site. People don't realize how much weather plays into this whole thing. Nor do they realize the net carbon effect of 3D building. Nor do they realize the space needed for the 3d equipment. And, of course economy of scale. Basically, it's got a long ways to go. Let's just put it this way, I wouldn't invest in it just yet.

Reactions: Jammin’

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I've been watching this technology for the past decade. Russia was the first to do it. 3D building sounds great, but it's just that. No technology compares to modular prefabbed sections off-site. People don't realize how much weather plays into this whole thing. Nor do they realize the net carbon effect of 3D building. Nor do they realize the space needed for the 3d equipment. And, of course economy of scale. Basically, it's got a long ways to go. Let's just put it this way, I wouldn't invest in it just yet.
We are wanting to build in a few years, and yeah modular is basically the only thing we are looking at. Last house was an older module built in '82/'83 and was pretty solid.

Reactions: Cloneon

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
We are wanting to build in a few years, and yeah modular is basically the only thing we are looking at. Last house was an older module built in '82/'83 and was pretty solid.
Sadly, Architectural education does not emphasize building strategies enough and the net carbon effect more scientifically. I am currently retired, but have found a renewed interest in home building following a self coined acronym (OWYN WYNI - Pronounced Owen Winnie). It stands for Only What You Need, When You Need It. If Architecture designed towards that philosophy, we'd have safer, better, longer lasting, less expensive, and more economically friendly buildings.

Reactions: clone4life82

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Here's our chance for a sticker!

AN3DPH = America Needs 3D Printed Houses!

or...

AP3DPH = Actually Printing 3D Printed Houses!
Enjoy the wait. In no way should they 'need' it. They should, however, continue to pursue safe, efficient, building practices.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Always amazed and impressed by the innovation that comes from the state's top university. Unlike the other school that produces burger-flippers, insurance salesmen (I'm looking at you, Jay Bowe) and english majors, who are populating parent's basements all across the state.

• Haha
Reactions: TXCyclones