ISU Tidbits?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Go to lots of house parties
Meet a lot of people
Don't skip class too much; it affects your grade more than you think (speaking from experience. Woo academic probation!)
Go to lots of basketball and football games
Bang lots of *******
Smoke weed everyday

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
When you go on a tour your tour guides always tell you little tips/tricks and tidbits unique to the school. I'm going to ISU this fall but never toured so I never learned any of these... :/ Anybody care to share?

This has been touched on by another guy but whatever you have for a meal plan, go at least one level down. You won't eat there on the weekends and won't want to eat there twice a day. 10 is the max I'd recommend.

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
If you take English 150 there is a good chance that you will take a tour of one of the museums or the Art on Campus. If you don't, take a second to check out the Farm House Museum, Christian Petersen Art Museum (Morrill Hall), and/or the Brunnier Art Museum (Scheman), on your own. There are a couple of good reasons for this; the staff at the museum has some great campus stories (I am one of them, and love telling stories), it's always good to add a little culture to your life, and you can impress your folks on parent and family weekend. :)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Nearly 30 years I've been here and I've never stepped on it. :)

Note to newcomer: the hall directly inside the Zodiac leading into the MU is engraved with Gold Star Iowa Staters. Remember that, and respect that.

If possible, arrive before classes start, take some time with a map to go locate the classrooms & lecture halls where your classes will meet. Two buildings on campus that have crappy room numbering systems are Gilman Hall (Chemistry) and Agronomy Hall (self-explanatory). There may be others. It's not enough to just find the buildings. FIND THE ROOMS INSIDE THE BUILDINGS!!!!

Lago was bad too. And Kildee, even though it was my home. Saw so many wandering newbies in that building. Thank God Lush was easy enough for them to find.

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks everyone. Can you also talk about the dorms? I submitted my contract late so I still don't have an assignment. Which dorms are the best? Which are the worst, etc

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Can we walk across the Zodiac once we've graduated?

I'll be honest, I've been tempted to walk across it since I graduated from ISU, but I'm too scared.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Note to newcomer: the hall directly inside the Zodiac leading into the MU is engraved with Gold Star Iowa Staters. Remember that, and respect that.
And take off your ******* hat when walking through that hall.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Don't skip class too much; it affects your grade more than you think (speaking from experience. Woo academic probation!)
And academic dismissal follows the academic probation (speaking from experience.)

Jun 30, 2010
Nebraska :(
Thanks everyone. Can you also talk about the dorms? I submitted my contract late so I still don't have an assignment. Which dorms are the best? Which are the worst, etc

I wouldn't say any dorm is the worst. It is all about what you make it. You can make friends and party anywhere.

The risk you are running is even getting in a dorm. Enrollment is increasing faster than dorm rooms.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Go to lots of house parties
Meet a lot of people
Go to lots of basketball and football games
Bang lots of *******
Smoke weed everyday

From the other side of things, you can pretty well predict someone's grade that you don't see. It never fails that the person who has other things to do does badly. They just never bother to learn what they're supposed to be learning.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The guy who lived next door to me freshman year never went to a single class during the 2nd semester. DON'T DO THAT.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
speaking of roommates, if you get your assignment, talk to them ahead of time. Decide who is bringing what and get to know them. You don't have to become best friends, but life will be much easier if you can cohabitate nicely. Talk about things like having girlfriends over, lights out time, having people over - things that are much, MUCH easier to discuss before they become an issue.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Since you are walking on for football get the biggest meal plan available (20 meals a week?) because you will need it.

Trust me I had that and I would still order a pizza almost everynight before I went to bed.

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
Since you are walking on for football get the biggest meal plan available (20 meals a week?) because you will need it.

Trust me I had that and I would still order a pizza almost everynight before I went to bed.
Athletes now get unlimited free food. Walk ons too :rolleyes:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Athletes now get unlimited free food. Walk ons too :rolleyes:

While true you still need to have a meal plan to eat training table. If you do not have a meal plan you can't eat at training table. And the unlimited free food isn't going to be whatever you want. They are going to most likely have fruit, veges, sports drinks, granola bars, sandwhich making materials and stuff like that. You aren't going to be able to show up to the Heartland Hall (I think that is what training table is called now) and get what they served for Supper at 10PM at night.