ISU student drowning

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Terribly sad, especially considering that they intended to take out at Carr Park right where the drowning occurred due to the perceived hazard.

I just canoed a good stretch of the Skunk, prior to the storms, and it was pretty leisurely. But, considering how many downed trees and logjams we encountered (even had to portage the boats a few hundred yards a bit south of Ames), it's easy to see how they'd be concealed and even more dangerous with a further 8 feet of water in the channel.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
There's something about rivers that are moving faster than a snail's pace or I can't see the bottom in that have always worried me if I was on one in a boat or kayak or whatever.

This is why.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I couldn't believe people went tubing down that. I drove by that earlier today and noticed how high that river is right now.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
There's something about rivers that are moving faster than a snail's pace or I can't see the bottom in that have always worried me if I was on one in a boat or kayak or whatever.

This is why.

This is the exact way I feel. Murky water, currents, debris under the water, plus wildlife is the reason I stay out of them.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is the exact way I feel. Murky water, currents, debris under the water, plus wildlife is the reason I stay out of them.

Or just getting in a river with a bunch of animal ****.

Floating the skunk is the bomb. I really want to get back to Ames for a trip this year. Guess I should wait until the levels go down a bit. Will make me double think going over the small dam though.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We canoe the skunk often. Once a couple years ago we did it when it was like it is now, that will never happen again. We knew it was higher than normal but the skunk isn't really that deep so we didn't think nothing of it. But we quickly found out it wasnt the depth it was the current speed. We now only go when it is at normal levels, which kind of sucks because you get stuck on sandbars alot.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Shocking. I haven't seen the Skunk lately but that river is pretty mellow compared to a lot of other ones. When I've kayaked or tubed that in the past, it seemed SO shallow.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Wildlife? Attack by a bear or pack of wolves?

More like fish and snakes and the like. I just don't like the idea of letting my a** float in the water while those things are circling around underneath. Plus I'm sure my beer farts could attract quite a few unsavory things...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We canoe the skunk often. Once a couple years ago we did it when it was like it is now, that will never happen again. We knew it was higher than normal but the skunk isn't really that deep so we didn't think nothing of it. But we quickly found out it wasnt the depth it was the current speed. We now only go when it is at normal levels, which kind of sucks because you get stuck on sandbars alot.

Unfortunately, some of the factors that make tubing more fun (decent currents) also make it more dangerous. What do you consider a maximum safe water level for tubing the Skunk?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn't tube on the skunk when its high and fast. Lots of snags and things to get hung up on. Tube when the water level is normal.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unfortunately, some of the factors that make tubing more fun (decent currents) also make it more dangerous. What do you consider a maximum safe water level for tubing the Skunk?

I really wouldn't look at the depth, I would look at the how fast it is moving. IMO if it is deeper and not moving fast you can be in it, but if it is moving fast stay away.

Last edited:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
You want to tube in about waist-to-chest-high water. Canoeing you're ok when the water's high if you're somewhat experienced. I wouldn't want to canoe a fast-moving river either, though. It defeats the purpose of a leisurely booze cruise.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
More like fish and snakes and the like. I just don't like the idea of letting my a** float in the water while those things are circling around underneath. Plus I'm sure my beer farts could attract quite a few unsavory things...

Your name is appropriate.:rolleyes:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Shallow does not equal safe. However, the main problem I saw was the tubes that they were using. Wal-Mart inflatables are fine at normal levels and currents but you need one of these for what that river was working with (note my sweet moustachio at the time of the pic) (no that's not really me):

T-237-06.jpg

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
You also need to be aware of the current rushing under beaver dams/tree debris that builds up over time.

We went a couple years ago when the level was low and we bottomed out on sandbars all day. However, during one stretch we reached some downed tree debris over a deeper part of the river unbeknownst to us. My friends tube got sucked over to this debris as the water was rushing underneath it. The branches popped his tube and pulled it and his sandles off and under the dam. He ended up hanging on for life on a bigger branch until we could reach him and pull him to safety.

Scared the **** out of us. Be smart about doing this stuff. Especially when boozing.

Last edited: