ISU players love T.J.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nowncarolina

Oct 8, 2009
I am sure TJ is a good guy and hope he is successful and his players love playing for him but the really good players want a coach tbat can get them into the league. That's their dream. The school I teach at (3000 students)has a 6 8 and 6 10 kid starting at an ACC school and Big East scbool. THE 6 10 youngman with a 7 2 wing span Dad told me he was getting calls from pro agents before he even graduated from. High school.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycl0nepower

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
The MWC conference game between Utah State and UNLV was interesting. Utah State seemed to just have bigger players, three 7 footers. UNLV didn’t have near the size. Both teams looked a little slow. One positive for TJ was UNLV had a lot more player and ball movement than Prohm’s teams have.

It feels like the transfer portal being a net positive, this year, is required for the program to make a quick recovery regardless who the coach is. That means keep the right players for the new coaches style and pick up some defensive and rebounding difference makers.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't disagree that T.J. has not shown overwhelmingly that he is a great X's and O's head coach but in year three he had set up UNLV to start making a lot of noise....he would return all of his top five scorers next season and had a great recruiting class coming in.....he was just getting things weeded out the first two seasons.....also, look at the development of his top player, Bryce Hamilton, who went from averaging 4 pts as a freshman to 16.0 and 17.9 as a sophomore and junior under T.J.

I do agree with you that Prohm got some solid players but he clearly proved he couldn't coach and develop them.....and most importantly, he couldn't win with them......I believe T.J. will win at ISU but I do understand that he still has things to prove.....

Sounds like there are a number of questions on if his 3 best players will return. Hamilton (2nd team All MWC), Jenkins (3rd team All MWC) and Diong (1st Team All MWC Defense) all may leave. So TJ's best returning player might be Caleb Grill.

Biggest offseason questions for UNLV basketball - Las Vegas Sun Newspaper

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Ok...I get you have a thing for TJ but don’t use his record in a garbage conference to prop him up. Prohm was 101-29 at Murray State and 54-10 in conference. That obviously means jack ****.

Prohm also recruited nba players. Clearly also means jack ****.

If TJ hires an all star staff I can see this working out, otherwise I see Prohm 2.0 but will get a longer leash if he is failing because he is buddies with Jamie. You already have Jamie making excuses for him with that video the other day by saying something like it’s not going to be a quick fix.

I hope I’m wrong, but I just do not see it.
It doesn't mean jack****????? Brad Underwood was 63-1 at SF Austin (in a garbage conference) in conference and now has Illinois at a power conference heading into the tournament as a #1 seed with many people picking them to the Final Four

Prohm just proved he couldn't coach at this level......maybe T.J. will struggle also....I don't believe he will......

Prohm recruited one NBA player: Haliburton....he didn't recruit all the ISU guys in the NBA.....almost all of them were recruited by T.J......

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think it is pretty funny that the people trying to sell TJ think they know more than the ADs and fan bases for all the other open jobs, where TJ isn’t even mentioned.

I would feel a lot better if he was coming off of a couple good seasons at SDSU post Daum. As it stands he walked into a great spot in SDSU and kept it rolling. That’s a big plus. Then he leaves as the best Summit league player probably ever graduates.

He takes over a team that was 11-7 in the league and has been mediocre. Actually he has the worst winning percentage in school history for any coach that has coached a full season. Maybe he would have or will win next year. I get that it’s a tough year for Freshmen, but his best player is a third year guy and he brought in the best recruiting class in the conference by a wide margin. And before we get pumped about recruiting classes, it’s important to note that in peak Fred and Prohm years UNLV destroyed ISU in recruiting rankings. If you are a coach at UNLV you will have great recruiting classes.
You're also dealing with constant distractions in Vegas. I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable get a coach that seeks a challenge of building than one who just takes over after the guy. It will come down to establishing a culture and we know what kind of culture Jamie wants. He wants builders. If he feels TJ is that, then I trust him.

One thing about Pollard is he learns from each hire he makes. He is a very methodical person. If he trusts TJ, I trust TJ.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It doesn't mean jack****????? Brad Underwood was 63-1 at SF Austin (in a garbage conference) in conference and now has Illinois at a power conference heading into the tournament as a #1 seed with many people picking them to the Final Four

Prohm just proved he couldn't coach at this level......maybe T.J. will struggle also....I don't believe he will......

Prohm recruited one NBA player: Haliburton....he didn't recruit all the ISU guys in the NBA.....almost all of them were recruited by T.J......

Horton Tucker

kcbob79clone

Talen would like a word. I get it you don't like Prohm but at least get your facts straight.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Talen would like a word. I get it you don't like Prohm but at least get your facts straight.
You are right.......it's nothing personal but I'm an ISU grad who loves ISU sports and I don't enjoy watching a man get paid over $2 million a year to lead us to one NCAA tournament bid in the last four years......that's pathetic......and it proves that his early success was completely due to him being handed a top three Big 12 roster created by Fred Hoiberg....

I know T.J. and so I am a little bias but there is definitely no guarantee that he will have major success at ISU......I just feel a lot more confident with him than I ever did with Prohm......I know my opinion might be proven wrong but I'm fully supportive of this hire

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
More importantly, do other Big 12 coaches love TJ?
Because they LOVED Prohm! They couldn't tell us enough how lucky we were to have time.
When I was coaching youth bball I could never beat a team so he loved me and complemented our team all the time. I hated those guys. We did the same to others . Not sure it’s healthy to be loved by other coaches teams vs and fans.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

TJ has done so well at UNLV the whole fan base can’t wait for him to leave.

Also, most were not recruited by TJ. Some were.

Last edited:

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
You are right.......it's nothing personal but I'm an ISU grad who loves ISU sports and I don't enjoy watching a man get paid over $2 million a year to lead us to one NCAA tournament bid in the last four years......that's pathetic......and it proves that his early success was completely due to him being handed a top three Big 12 roster created by Fred Hoiberg....

I know T.J. and so I am a little bias but there is definitely no guarantee that he will have major success at ISU......I just feel a lot more confident with him than I ever did with Prohm......I know my opinion might be proven wrong but I'm fully supportive of this hire

Ahh there it is. You are very biased and defensive of a guy who is getting the job because his buddy is the AD. This is not based on anything he has done as a head coach.

I was also under the impression the team was created by TJ, might as well give him all of those wins that have up until now been credited to Fred

Last edited:

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
During my 35 years on this Earth I’ve learned that successful people don’t complain...they adapt. TJ has been apart of some of the program’s struggles and really good times. Hopefully he can takes these experiences and turn them into a consistent winner. The guy loves Iowa State...not a bad start. #Hopeful

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am sure TJ is a good guy and hope he is successful and his players love playing for him but the really good players want a coach tbat can get them into the league. That's their dream. The school I teach at (3000 students)has a 6 8 and 6 10 kid starting at an ACC school and Big East scbool. THE 6 10 youngman with a 7 2 wing span Dad told me he was getting calls from pro agents before he even graduated from. High school.

We're in an odd position firing a coach when we have 6 current nba players, 5 heavy rotation players, about 12 total in past 8 years.

This year is probably going to easily be the highest production nba year for isu even with 10 games less in nba season.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Have you heard Sullivan and Fizer speak of Eustachy? I am not sure if fond is the right word but they speak very highly of him, other players do also.

One player really hates him passionately, perhaps for some valid reasons.

Most of the others seem to appreciate him with his flaws.

I remember him on the call in show being Dr Doom even in the elite eight season but it was always a little tongue in cheek.

nowncarolina

Oct 8, 2009
Yeah despite all the Prohm can not coach on here he must of known something . When I met our new hs coach I told him I was a big ISU fan he got out his phone and called Coach Kane. He said he talked to our coaches regularly It was not that Coach P was that bad but he managed the makeup of the team real bad the last couple of years..I hope we get Hunter but I have my doubts no matter who we hire. Hope I am wrong. Prohm had a great reputation as a coach that could develop a point guard .

Last edited: