ISU,Iowa, UNI funding Formula

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Interesting Article on this: http://thegazette.com/subject/news/iowa-regents-could-tip-the-balance-20140628

Interesting Community Colleges are worried about this. Also U of I also seems a bit worried.

I wonder sometimes about the kids that transfer to ISU from Community Colleges. Have talked to a few Prof's who have said they haven't always been impressed with the quality of the education the students got going that route.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If resident enrollment figures remain unchanged, UI could lose $12.9 million a year, and ISU would become the top-funded university in the state. But UI officials have said they don’t intend to let that happen, and they’re rolling out aggressive recruitment strategies to net more in-state students.

Interesting to see what this will be. I am sure the brass at UI will do absolutely everything in their power to prevent ISU from getting more funding than them, as that would be a huge blow to UI. Iowa has gotten more funding than Iowa State literally forever. UI could be unveiling a massive new in-state scholarship program soon, or something similar.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Seems pretty certain U of I is going to lose money on this deal and ISU will gain. Not sure if we'll take the lead, but not that big a deal IMO other than ego(and we know U of I's tends to be pretty large....)

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I know some Hawks that are pretty upset that ISU would get more funding from the state. Why wouldn't the state want to spend money on Iowa students? Makes perfect sense to me.

Remember the first year that Iowa got off of public funding for their athletics? Right away they are clamoring for no state funding for athletics (Why should ISU get state funding for sports when UofI doesn't need it - forgetting that UofI had it for years prior and was just able to get off of it because of the Big 10 Network).....until they figured out that would kill UNI's athletics.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's a done deal with the Regents approving the new funding distribution 8-1, devil will be in the implementation details and timing. U of I is going to respond by trying to actually get more Iowan's to attend. The whole thing was pretty stupid considering the state funding was inversely related to how many tax paying Iowans actually attended the respective universities.

From another Gazette article:

Regent statistics show the UI is the only institution that gets a majority – 52 percent – of its freshmen from outside the state. Conversely, ISU has a 42 percent out-of-state freshmen enrollment and UNI gets just 9 percent of its freshmen in the form of out-of-state students.

Meanwhile, the UI received 46 percent off state general-education funding in 2013, while ISU got 36 percent and UNI got 18 percent. That is unfair, given the fact that in-state student tuition doesn’t cover the cost to provide them an education, according to the task force and its leader Miles.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
This new funding model really makes complete sense from a state of Iowa economic standpoint. Why provide more money to a school that develops talent that will mostly benefit other states after graduation?

Also, I flew into Cedar Rapids a couple weeks ago and the first thing I saw was an Iowa State advertisement right at the front of the jet bridge. Thought that was pretty cool; I don't think you ever would have seen that in Eastern Iowa 5 years ago. Iowa better have a pretty good strategy if they plan on out-recruiting us in-state.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This new funding model really makes complete sense from a state of Iowa economic standpoint. Why provide more money to a school that develops talent that will mostly benefit other states after graduation?

I agree with this 100% but I think the next major issue (that the Legislature needs to address) is retention of graduates that go to Iowa colleges and universities. It seems like for many, even if you want to stay in the Midwest, your options are Minneapolis, Chicago, and/or Kansas City to get a good job (mostly). We are investing a good amount of money in educating students, but that isn't worth a whole lot from an Iowan public policy standpoint if they leave right after they graduate and don't come back.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
ISU and Iowa will cannibalize UNI, the community colleges and the private liberal arts schools. I hope folks are happy.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I agree with this 100% but I think the next major issue (that the Legislature needs to address) is retention of graduates that go to Iowa colleges and universities. It seems like for many, even if you want to stay in the Midwest, your options are Minneapolis, Chicago, and/or Kansas City to get a good job (mostly). We are investing a good amount of money in educating students, but that isn't worth a whole lot from an Iowan public policy standpoint if they leave right after they graduate and don't come back.

But why?

http://www.businessrecord.com/Conte...es-Moines-is-richest-metro-area/179/854/44652

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
How so? I honestly don't know.

Most of the private and community colleges have much lower out-of-state attendance.

If Iowa and ISU get into more of a race on in-state students, it will be at the expense of enrollment there.

Combine that with the fact from the link in the OP that the amount of graduating HS seniors in Iowa is decreasing....

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
ISU and Iowa will cannibalize UNI, the community colleges and the private liberal arts schools. I hope folks are happy.
I could see UNI (who honestly needs more out of state kids), and the community colleges maybe, but not the liberal arts schools because those schools offer different things than the state universities. For one thing, people who go to a liberal arts school generally want to go to a smaller school. ISU, UI, and UNI cannot offer that. It isn't a bad thing, but it's just reality.

As to the retention question, how much of a retention problem does Iowa have? Are students leaving the state permanently (a problem), or are they leaving for a few years and then moving back to the state?

Last edited:

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I thought this quote in the article was Hilarious, and just proves one of our stereotypes of UofI being University of Illinois-Iowa city:

“I don’t want to, in any way, send a message, especially to our international students or our Illinois students or students from anywhere else in the country, that somehow we don’t want them,” Mason said. “We do. We do for lots of reasons, not the least of which is they bring great diversity to our community, and we value that.”

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Agree tzjung. Even the President of the U of I knows they are U of Illinois - Iowa City Campus. If her recruitment efforts for instate students fail, I wonder if she will press for an official name change. Why not just accept what every one has known since forever?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Given your username I can see why you would be unhappy. I don't think the liberal arts colleges in IA will be hurt too badly by this. As another poster mentioned, they offer something completely different than what ISU and UI (and UNI to an extent) do, and that is not going to change. A student looking to pay $20-25k/year at Luther with a scholarship or $9k/year at ISU without one is likely not going to change their decision if ISU recruits them harder or maybe offers a $1k scholarship.

Perhaps some of the students that would have otherwise planned to do 2 years at a community college before transferring to a public will now instead start at one of the universities instead. Other than that I don't think the impact will be very widespread.

The 3 universities will compete very strongly with one another for Iowa students, starting recruitment earlier, tailoring it better, and offering more and better scholarships for Iowa high schoolers and transfers. I think that is a great thing for the state. More Iowa resources will be made available for Iowa students.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Given your username I can see why you would be unhappy. I don't think the liberal arts colleges in IA will be hurt too badly by this. As another poster mentioned, they offer something completely different than what ISU and UI (and UNI to an extent) do, and that is not going to change. A student looking to pay $20-25k/year at Luther with a scholarship or $9k/year at ISU without one is likely not going to change their decision if ISU recruits them harder or maybe offers a $1k scholarship.

Perhaps some of the students that would have otherwise planned to do 2 years at a community college before transferring to a public will now instead start at one of the universities instead. Other than that I don't think the impact will be very widespread.

The 3 universities will compete very strongly with one another for Iowa students, starting recruitment earlier, tailoring it better, and offering more and better scholarships for Iowa high schoolers and transfers. I think that is a great thing for the state. More Iowa resources will be made available for Iowa students.
tl;dr

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=885727