ISU Hockey vs. Lindenwood -- OFFICIAL GAME Update THREAD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CycloneHockey, Mar 2, 2008.

1. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Media Director for Cyclone Hockey
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    The game is underway and ISU hitting and skating hard! I'll keep updating with scores and tidbits of info.

GO STATE!

2. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Sometimes your goalie has to be your best penalty killer...Erik Hudson did just that making several huge saves for ISU. A good penalty kill is a big momentum builder. 0-0 game 9 minutes into the first.

3. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Are you there or watching somewhere?

Thanks for the updates!

4. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Cyclones killing another penalty and sophomore standouts Pete Majkozak and Brian Spring nearly connected for a short-handed goal, but LU goalie Taylor Lippert made a great save... still tied 0-0.

5. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    I'm watching the webcast. I wish I was there...

6. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Big power play for ISU. They have been taking a ton of shots and have been in control. Special teams have been great for ISU so far. If they keep shooting and getting good chances, one is bound to go in. 0-0 still.

7. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    DOH! D-zone turnover by the Cyclones allows Lindenwood to take a 1-0 lead with a beauty of a shot that went over Erik Hudsons glove hand. Tough one to stop. ISU showing no signs of slowing though...maybe this will help them apply more pressure.

8. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    First period over with the Clones trailing, 1-0. I expect a spirited locker room talk by the coach. I also think the Cyclones are feeling good about themselves having only allowed one goal despite two penalties to kill.

As Eric Tofte just mentioned, Lindenwood threw everything they had at ISU, including the kitchen sink. If Hudson and his defensemen can keep Lindenwood at bay, the high powered Cyclone offense with its speed and agressive style should be able to put a few pucks in the net.

9. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Second period is underway. In the first Lindenwood out shot ISU 13-12...so both teams are having great chances. Could be a goaltenders' duel tonight.

10. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    Keep the updates coming. Like I said, the internet connection has to go through Beijing so it is very choppy here with minutes at a time missing.

11. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    No problem, China...I've got a good feed. POWER PLAY for the Cyclones. Great pressure applied by ISU caused LU to take a penalty. The Cyclones have really looked strong in this period so far...still 1-0 LU.

12. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    ISU gets another power play after the LU goalie trips brian spring who nearly put the puck past Lippert.

13. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    A flurry for ISU came up empty...but they are applying pressure which could wear down the Lions. Also Erik Hudson robbed an LU skater of a great scoring opportunity by getting his glove on the puck. It seems like the momentum has been outstanding for ISU...1-0 LU.

14. Juggercy

Juggercy Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Ames, IA
    come on lets get a goal

15. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Great pressure still...Lindenwood has had to ice the puck three times in a row which means they feel overmatced in their zone and are uncomfortable. This should be the norm if ISU can keep their intensity.

16. Topshelf

Topshelf Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Financial Planner
    Ames, IA
    I'm a nervous wreck in the back of my classroom, kids are wondering why I'm not teaching...

17. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Lindenwood has battled back a bit, but ISU has not backed down a bit. They just forced another icing and had some quality chances. Another thing I should point out is the play by the veterans in this game. Murtaugh, Mueller, Majkozak, Adolph and Cornelius all look like they want the Murdoch Cup badly. Cort Bulloch, a freshman, has played a smart game. Hudson, also a freshman, is also doing everything he can to keep his team in it.

After two periods of play...Lindenwood 1 - ISU 0.

26-23 Shots in favor of Lindenwood. Although i feel that ISU has had better scoring opportunities. That bodes well for the Cyclones...they are up against a tough goalie, but they are bound to find a few holes.

18. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    I'm shaking a little bit myself right now. I know these kids are hungry for the cup and I would love nothing more than to see them win it. I'm hoping my CSCHL championship ring from last year will bring them some luck from out here in Colorado.

They are playing a solid game. Playing to win for sure. Sometimes in the playoffs, teams will play not to lose...but the Cyclones are playing to win...An exciting game thus far.

19. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Third period is underway...

20. CycloneHockey

CycloneHockey Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Ames/Chicago, IL
    Lindenwood just had a huge slap shot go off the cross bar and out of play...some puck luck there for ISU. Good to have late in the game...