ISU History: Zaid Abdul- Aziz (aka Don Smith) and banning the dunk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
For all of you young pups. Some ISU history on one of our greatest all-time hoopsters.

THE BASKETBALL LEGEND

An article from The Sporting News confirms this account, saying, “One spectacular play by Don Smith might have motivated Coach Henry Iba of Oklahoma State into predicting that the basketball rules makers would outlaw the dunk shot and eventually raise the basket.”

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
For those too young to know or remember, when Abdul-Aziz played Freshman were not allowed to compete on the varsity level. And the team overall was not outstanding and did not play in any post season games. So Abdul-Aziz played in far fewer games than players today. But he is still on a p"game basis" the Cyclone's leading scorer at over 20 points per game and leading rebounder at over 13 rebounds per game over his three year career.

I still can vividly remember him reaching up for a rebound with one hand and the ball would POP! when he slapped it into his other hand. Great player. One of our best ever!

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Interesting article. I was aware of him but too young to remember him at ISU. It mentions the dunk ban because of him. I think Wilt caused the goal tend and three second rule if I'm remembering correctly.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Interesting article. I was aware of him but too young to remember him at ISU. It mentions the dunk ban because of him. I think Wilt caused the goal tend and three second rule if I'm remembering correctly.

I thought Bill Russell caused the goal tending rule. If I remember correctly, sometimes he didn't even go down to the offensive end; he just stayed in the defensive end and swatted the balls away.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I thought Bill Russell caused the goal tending rule. If I remember correctly, sometimes he didn't even go down to the offensive end; he just stayed in the defensive end and swatted the balls away.
You could be right on that.