ISU Gets More Votes in Both Polls

D

DistrictCyclone

Win out this week and get ranked.

I'm not sure. I think dhaliaclone is right; that'd be quite a few teams to leapfrog, especially when beating Tech won't wow anyone and K-State could look less impressive if they lose to Kansas.

Not that I care.

D

DistrictCyclone

How in the heck do you think VCU should not be ranked?! You must not have seen them play. They are 16-3 with losses to a very good Wichita State team by two, Duke by nine, and Missouri by three. I've seen them a few times. They absolutely deserve their ranking.

I've seen them play; they can score, sure. But who have they beat?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I've seen them play; they can score, sure. But who have they beat?

Beat then ranked #19 and still decent Memphis by 13 but that is probably their best win. Can only beat who's on your schedule and they are averaging winning their games by close to 20 points.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Teams that I don't think should be ranked:

VCU
Mississippi
Miami
San Diego State

agree on these teams. Miami is pretty good and VCU is not a slouch. I think ISU beats VCU only because the tempo that both teams play at is similar. Would be an exciting game, would like it if ISU played them. Both teams could maybe get to 90

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
How in the heck do you think VCU should not be ranked?! You must not have seen them play. They are 16-3 with losses to a very good Wichita State team by two, Duke by nine, and Missouri by three. I've seen them a few times. They absolutely deserve their ranking.

You are trying to justify their ranking to us by pointing out that they lost to two teams that are ranked below them?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
You are trying to justify their ranking to us by pointing out that they lost to two teams that are ranked below them?

Nope. I am saying they definitely deserve to be ranked in the top twenty based on what I've seen of them and others that are ranked, the fact they have won 13 straight and are beating teams by an average of 20 points a game.

D

DistrictCyclone

agree on these teams. Miami is pretty good and VCU is not a slouch. I think ISU beats VCU only because the tempo that both teams play at is similar. Would be an exciting game, would like it if ISU played them. Both teams could maybe get to 90

The more I think about it, VCU probably should be ranked; all of their losses were in November and 2 of them were in a tournament, though I still don't think they've done anything to deserve being ranked as high as #16. I realize that teams in "mid-majors" take a gamble with their scheduling because they have their toughest games very early in the season, too.

Miami is a fraud, though; all they did this week was barely beat a moribund Boston College team. I think Duke will completely expose them.

D

DistrictCyclone

By what argument shouldn't Ole Miss be ranked?

They are 15-2 and have won 4 SEC games all by double digits, including against Mizzou. It would be crap if they weren't ranked.

The SEC is absolute garbage this year, and it's become pretty obvious that Missery ain't so great without Bowers (I think this was their first game without him).

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The more I think about it, VCU probably should be ranked; all of their losses were in November and 2 of them were in a tournament, though I still don't think they've done anything to deserve being ranked as high as #16. I realize that teams in "mid-majors" take a gamble with their scheduling because they have their toughest games very early in the season, too.

Miami is a fraud, though; all they did this week was barely beat a moribund Boston College team. I think Duke will completely expose them.

I kind of agree on Miami. They won at UNC...but so what? They aren't very good. They have two bad losses as well against Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State. I am not sure why Miami is ranked. I guess they aren't in the coaches poll.

Personally, I would argue that Missouri doesn't need to be ranked. Best win might be against mid-major Bucknell by two at home. Four losses and they are against good teams but by 23 to Louisville, 3 to UCLA, 15 to Ol' Miss, and another drumming at the hands of Florida by 31. They haven't done anything to be ranked if you ask me.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I kind of agree on Miami. They won at UNC...but so what? They aren't very good. They have two bad losses as well against Florida Gulf Coast and Indiana State. I am not sure why Miami is ranked. I guess they aren't in the coaches poll.

Personally, I would argue that Missouri doesn't need to be ranked. Best win might be against mid-major Bucknell by two at home. Four losses and they are against good teams but by 23 to Louisville, 3 to UCLA, 15 to Ol' Miss, and another drumming at the hands of Florida by 31. They haven't done anything to be ranked if you ask me.

I more or less agree, but it isn't like the teams in #26-#29 are world beaters. You can make the same or better arguments for those teams not being ranked too. Who are you going to rank? A 4-loss Marquette team that just lost to Cincy? A 5-loss Wisconsin team that just lost to Iowa?

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny

no way, Mizzou just got a** rammed by UF they are stanky :jimlad:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I more or less agree, but it isn't like the teams in #26-#29 are world beaters. You can make the same or better arguments for those teams not being ranked too. Who are you going to rank? A 4-loss Marquette team that just lost to Cincy? A 5-loss Wisconsin team that just lost to Iowa?

A 4-1 Wisconsin team in the nation's best league that won at Indiana, but lost at Iowa over a Missouri team in the average SEC that has lost two of three, by 15 and 31? Yes, I would have Wisconsin ranked at this point over a team like Missouri for sure. And I would also have Marquette ranked, yes.

D

DistrictCyclone

I think you're right about Missery; they're nothing without Bowers, and their signature win is against a flukey overrated Illinois team. They did look damned good in that game against UCLA that they almost won, though.

The thing that bothers me the most about rankings (especially in football), is that a bunch of writers and coaches get to say "I'm giving you an A, and it's yours to lose" to 25 teams and say "you start at 0 and must prove yourselves" to everyone else. All a team like Missery has to do in order to stay ranked is avoid completely ******** the bed with a pretty lame schedule, while teams like Colorado State or Marquette have to bust their humps to get any consideration at all.

D

DistrictCyclone

A 4-1 Wisconsin team in the nation's best league that won at Indiana, but lost at Iowa over a Missouri team in the average SEC that has lost two of three, by 15 and 31? Yes, I would have Wisconsin ranked at this point over a team like Missouri for sure. And I would also have Marquette ranked, yes.

Agree with both of these.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron