ISU Football - The vision and potential

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
We've all talked about the difficulties that ISU has in creating a successful FB program. For a minute though let's consider the strengths and the potential for the future:

1. First and foremost our AD. He is strong, young, energetic and willing to take big risks to achieve success. He is demanding of himself and of those who work for him, in short a great leader.
2. The facilities plan. This could be listed as 1a as it is a function of JP's leadership. Once the facilities plan is realized and it will be, ISU will have elevated its facilities base to at least the middle of the Big Twelve. As many others have commented, ISU will never be Texas, A&M, NU or Nebraska, but I firmly believe that we can grow this fanbase to 60,000 - 65,000 on a consistent basis to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, Baylor, CU, OSU, and TT.
2. The fanbase. I might get flack for saying this, but I view the ISU FB fanbase as a strength in that they have suffered nearly 30 years of horrible to average FB and have kept coming back for more. The UNI and NU games and the season ticket sales this year illustrated the potential strength of this fanbase when a better product is put on the field.
3. The Des Moines market. If you are generous in your definition of the metro area, you arrive at roughly 450,000 people in a very short driving distance from Ames. The Des Moines area is growing and is occasionally mentioned in publications as one of the most attractive medium-sized communities to live in anywhere in the country. ISU needs to tap into DM and make it into a home base.

IMO, this program is capable of leveraging these strengths and generating a minimum of 6 wins per season (3 nonconference victories + 3 wins in conference), 8-9 wins 2 out of every 5 or 6 years, and once every decade or so 9-10 wins and a shot at a conference championship. If ISU can build a FB program that can produce on that basis, I believe it can accomplish average attendance in the 60 -65 K range and solve all of the money issues that have rehashed as naseum on this and every other board.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I dont think the JTS renovations are going to increase seating capacity are they? At least that was the way I understood it. So i dont think we will be able to get average attendance anywhere over 50k-55k.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We've all talked about the difficulties that ISU has in creating a successful FB program. For a minute though let's consider the strengths and the potential for the future:

1. First and foremost our AD. He is strong, young, energetic and willing to take big risks to achieve success. He is demanding of himself and of those who work for him, in short a great leader.
2. The facilities plan. This could be listed as 1a as it is a function of JP's leadership. Once the facilities plan is realized and it will be, ISU will have elevated its facilities base to at least the middle of the Big Twelve. As many others have commented, ISU will never be Texas, A&M, NU or Nebraska, but I firmly believe that we can grow this fanbase to 60,000 - 65,000 on a consistent basis to compete with the likes of Mizzou, KSU, KU, Baylor, CU, OSU, and TT.
2. The fanbase. I might get flack for saying this, but I view the ISU FB fanbase as a strength in that they have suffered nearly 30 years of horrible to average FB and have kept coming back for more. The UNI and NU games and the season ticket sales this year illustrated the potential strength of this fanbase when a better product is put on the field.
3. The Des Moines market. If you are generous in your definition of the metro area, you arrive at roughly 450,000 people in a very short driving distance from Ames. The Des Moines area is growing and is occasionally mentioned in publications as one of the most attractive medium-sized communities to live in anywhere in the country. ISU needs to tap into DM and make it into a home base.

IMO, this program is capable of leveraging these strengths and generating a minimum of 6 wins per season (3 nonconference victories + 3 wins in conference), 8-9 wins 2 out of every 5 or 6 years, and once every decade or so 9-10 wins and a shot at a conference championship. If ISU can build a FB program that can produce on that basis, I believe it can accomplish average attendance in the 60 -65 K range and solve all of the money issues that have rehashed as naseum on this and every other board.

The only downside to Des Moines is the Register is 90% black and gold 10% cardinal and gold.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
I dont think the JTS renovations are going to increase seating capacity are they? At least that was the way I understood it. So i dont think we will be able to get average attendance anywhere over 50k-55k.
I think they're adding about 3000 seats, but I'm not sure what the hillsides on the south end hold now.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well, considering we're 10 times closer I'd like at least 65-35! :wink0st:

Well I think we both know the 90/10 you cited is far from the truth and was a vast exaggeration.

65/35 is more like it.

With what we've put on the field this year - we don't even deserve that.

clone33

Apr 13, 2006
SE Iowa
www.espn.go.com

Thats good, I'll expect the spreadsheet and project overview on my desk by Thursday

All jokes aside, your 100% right. The only real negative is our geography. As Pointed out in another thread (and many times before), it is pretty difficult to recruit top tier talent to Ames. Which is why in-state recruiting is such a huge (dis)advantage to us. That obstacle can even be overcome if JP makes the right hire this winter. Hypothetically, a guy like Chuck Long would definately help us recruit in Iowa. It would also strengthen our fanbase having someone with Iowa connections come in and try to rebuild our program. IMHO.

dccyclone25

Oct 29, 2006
Ames
Well, considering we're 10 times closer I'd like at least 65-35! :wink0st:

Whatever the ratio is, a team has to earn it. We can't be something to talk about just because we're 1 of 2 teams in the state (sorry UNI people, but no one in 1-A really cares).

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
What you are missing out on in your list, and probably the primary key factor to success in college sports, is recruits. Des Moines might be close enough to draw fans from but (aside from a few people on this board who think otherwise) fan don't win ballgames.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
Irregardless of what JTS's capacity will be, even if we are consistently in the 50-55k range, with the potential to push 60k, that would be amazing in my book. Bowling in JTS gives the stadium a more prestigious look, (see facilities master plan on cyclones.com). I was pickled tink when I saw those artist renditions. I think with a visionary AD like JP, the Des Moines market will get tapped into more and more. And, the more success the team has, perhaps more fans/alums living in the larger metros surrounding Iowa will drive in for games. Omaha, KC, Chicago, Mpls/St Paul. Cripes I know a lot of Nebraskans who drive from freaking denver to lincoln on a weekend for a game, and you see a crapload of Iowa alum on I-88 in the fall driving to Iowa City.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
I grew up in DM, live in Southern California now, and I CAN'T WAIT to see the South endzone of JTS bowled in. It will finally make our stadium look like a "castle" that our boys would be proud to protect.

The high-income-earners in DM are intelligent people - they (along with Cyclone fans everywhere) would be more than happy to make a smart investment in a program that could bring excitement to a city that would be happy to adopt it, if the product and the plan behind it were attractive.

Des Moines is a perfect market to support a great CF program (think Norman and OKC).

I think it can happen, we just need lead the way with our support of the program. We need to start showing people that we believe in the program, regardless of the coaching situation. It will be tough for fringe fans to get on board with a bunch of fans with no faith or spirit.

Don't confuse my faith in the program (JP), with my faith in Mac, but you get my point...

What do you think is a more attractive attitude to get behind:

a.) We suck, and our coaches suck, and we should be better!

or

b.) We know we can be a good program, and we know we're having some serious problems right now, but we believe in our program and our AD, and we KNOW that we can be a relevant team in D-1 College Football.

?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Thats good, I'll expect the spreadsheet and project overview on my desk by Thursday

All jokes aside, your 100% right. The only real negative is our geography. As Pointed out in another thread (and many times before), it is pretty difficult to recruit top tier talent to Ames. Which is why in-state recruiting is such a huge (dis)advantage to us. That obstacle can even be overcome if JP makes the right hire this winter. Hypothetically, a guy like Chuck Long would definately help us recruit in Iowa. It would also strengthen our fanbase having someone with Iowa connections come in and try to rebuild our program. IMHO.

You are Right On, about geography. ISU is on the fringe of the Big XII conference and stuck between 2 winning football programs in Iowa and Nebraska. What Nebraska doesnt recruit Iowa does recruit.

I would NOT hire an Iowa guy as a football coach, just to recruit the state of Iowa with its very few D-1 football players who can compete in the big 12 conference.

Better off to hire an up and comer who has ties to the state of Texas with its high school players who are willing to come to Iowa State and be able to play in the big 12 conference.

Boys and girls there is just NO EASY FIX to what ails this football program!:yes4lo: