ISU FB Attendance 44th in Nation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Anybody else see this at the bottom of the article?

I wouldn't put too much stock in the Oklahoma State percentage numbers. It's a calculated, controversial and high-profile move by the athletic program to limit premium game tickets to season-ticket holders. It hurts their attendance numbers and has empty seats show up for big games, but it's been a boon to the program's bottom line.

Looks like Pollard isn't the only one requiring season tickets to attend the Iowa and former Nebraska games, and the OSU AD is getting credit for making more money by doing it. I wanted to read and comment on the article from Oklahoma, but they wanted to charge me $1.49 to read the article. Coupons not accepted.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Originally, the stadium had a capacity of 42,500, all on the sidelines. In 1976, end zone bleachers were constructed to increase capacity to more than 46,000. Standing room tickets, sold for each game, brought the capacity to more than 50,000. An all-time record crowd of 54,475 (in the previous configuration) watched the ISU vs. Nebraska game on Oct. 27, 1990.
Completion of the Jacobson Athletic Building and the addition of permanent bleachers in the south end zone, as well as hillside seating in each of the four corners in the stadium changed the capacity to 55,000. A record 56,795 watched the Iowa State-Northern Iowa game Sept. 8 2007.

Jack Trice Stadium - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Attendance doesn't happen magically because...well, gosh...we're such good people here in Central Iowa.

Given our successes comparitively, we are doing better than many, many programs that have far more notches on their collective belts.

Yes, I want more fans at our games, but I'm also not foolish about being negative about where we are at today.

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
I have heard from a little birdie(actually an iowa fan) that we have the finances to bowl the south endzone. the reason we can not do it is because the state of iowa will not allow us to at this moment. one of their reasons is because we cannot sell out JTS the way it is so why build on while the $uckeyes can sell out every game but they can not add on to their stadium(limited space). im sure you guys have more info on this subject then me but i have not seen anyone bring that up yet. i will be gettin season tickets when i get out of school and i am going to recruit people to go with me haha.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have heard from a little birdie(actually an iowa fan) that we have the finances to bowl the south endzone. the reason we can not do it is because the state of iowa will not allow us to at this moment. one of their reasons is because we cannot sell out JTS the way it is so why build on while the $uckeyes can sell out every game but they can not add on to their stadium(limited space). im sure you guys have more info on this subject then me but i have not seen anyone bring that up yet. i will be gettin season tickets when i get out of school and i am going to recruit people to go with me haha.

Well, if this is true, which I highly, highly doubt it is, then I think we should say eff it and start building facilities. That will get us more traction anyway.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

These types of things are voted at the Board of Regents and it is not behind closed doors. Sorry, can't buy what your "birdie" is selling.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
ISU needs to bowl in JTS. This will automatically make more fans come to the games.

Serious question: are you being scarcastic? I can't tell...

I think bowling in the Jack might hurt attendance because ticket prices will go up. Ticket prices go up, less people will buy tickets.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I wonder if the money from season tickets ranks us that high.

JP stated last year that only 11-12,000 people buy full price season tickets. The rest are made up of Cy's pack, students, $99 hill side, $125 bleachers, discounted mini-packs, $10 game day, etc.

I'm curious whether other schools have to discount that many of their tickets.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I don't buy this at all.

A) the finances aren't there, and B) they wouldn't stop us for that reason. This bowl wouldn't add capacity so it isn't about attendance in that regard. The biggest factor attendance has on the south endzone is that a lack of attendance doesn't help us raise the money to build it.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Originally, the stadium had a capacity of 42,500, all on the sidelines. In 1976, end zone bleachers were constructed to increase capacity to more than 46,000. Standing room tickets, sold for each game, brought the capacity to more than 50,000. An all-time record crowd of 54,475 (in the previous configuration) watched the ISU vs. Nebraska game on Oct. 27, 1990.
Completion of the Jacobson Athletic Building and the addition of permanent bleachers in the south end zone, as well as hillside seating in each of the four corners in the stadium changed the capacity to 55,000. A record 56,795 watched the Iowa State-Northern Iowa game Sept. 8 2007.

Your quoted area is missing the removal of seats to add suites and the club section, which is what lowers it to 43,000 or so, I was thinking the actual seats were 43,500 though.

Redhawk94

Jun 30, 2010
I wonder if the money from season tickets ranks us that high.

JP stated last year that only 11-12,000 people buy full price season tickets. The rest are made up of Cy's pack, students, $99 hill side, $125 bleachers, discounted mini-packs, $10 game day, etc.

I'm curious whether other schools have to discount that many of their tickets.

I also think average ticket price should be included in ticket numbers. If a team sells 50,000 tickets with an average ticket price of $60, then that is a lot more impressive than another team that sells 50,000 tickets at an average ticket price of $30.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008

That's an incredibly astute observation. Why is Kinnick sold out every game at 80,000 and we can't even fill 50,000? As an ISU fan, it's hard to admit, but it's true.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's an incredibly astute observation. Why is Kinnick sold out every game at 80,000 and we can't even fill 50,000? As an ISU fan, it's hard to admit, but it's true.

Kinnick holds 70,000, not 80,000.

Also, prior to this season there have been several games in the past few years that had obvious patches of empty seats, and even a couple that the University openly admitted weren't sold out (I think Purdue in 2009 was the last one).

To the "why" part of your question, it's easy: Iowa wins more. If ISU was coming off an Orange Bowl and was being touted as a legit National Title contender, you wouldn't see an empty seat in JTS.

creightonclone

Mar 3, 2008
Kinnick holds 70,000, not 80,000.

Also, prior to this season there have been several games in the past few years that had obvious patches of empty seats, and even a couple that the University openly admitted weren't sold out (I think Purdue in 2009 was the last one).

To the "why" part of your question, it's easy: Iowa wins more. If ISU was coming off an Orange Bowl and was being touted as a legit National Title contender, you wouldn't see an empty seat in JTS.

Thanks. I stand corrected. Why does it seem so much bigger?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Is it that difficult? Can we all relax a bit here?

Why does Michigan put 100K+ in their stands vs Mich State's ???/K (ie..much less)
How about Penn State vs University of Pittsburg?
Shall we go on?

No need to play drama momma here. Success breeds butts in the stands. No big conspiracy or secret here.

We'll get there, but not without the type of success that it takes to create it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is it that difficult? Can we all relax a bit here?

Why does Michigan put 100K+ in their stands vs Mich State's ???/K (ie..much less)
How about Penn State vs University of Pittsburg?
Shall we go on?

No need to play drama momma here. Success breeds butts in the stands. No big conspiracy or secret here.

We'll get there, but not without the type of success that it takes to create it.

Right.

As much as I'm disappointed in our attendance sometimes, there is no other school in the country that gets this much fan support with this little historic success.

Reactions: capitalcityguy