ISU Coaching Staff

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
O.K., according to a few on this board:

1. If you have the gall to not have some undefined level of wrestling knowledge you shouldn't post your ill-informed opinions here. Apparently you have to earn the right to post and you should go do research.

2. If you have some shred of doubt about Cael, you are stupid. (I still don't think I've heard anybody say he should be fired. I have, however, heard angry posters demand people name a replacement if they are not 100% happy with the team's performance).

Yes, you're right. The same happens in the basketball discussion.

Not too many, except for the crazy few, expect anyone to be fired. We've lost the middle ground around here...but again, it is a sports message board full of opinions! And you know what they say about opinions...

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

1. If you have the gall to not have some undefined level of wrestling knowledge you shouldn't post your ill-informed opinions here. Apparently you have to earn the right to post and you should go do research.

2. If you have some shred of doubt about Cael, you are stupid. (I still don't think I've heard anybody say he should be fired. I have, however, heard angry posters demand people name a replacement if they are not 100% happy with the team's performance).

Exactly, now your getting it.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I think too many people don't realize that the days of Iowa, Iowa State and Oklahoma State dominating the wrestling world have been over for awhile now. There are too many top coaches out there building strong programs, so a top 5 finish now is tough to do. We are a national wrestling power under Cael, and that's all I ask (and he usually has us in the national title chase). He may have us in that position every year before long. I don't know how anybody can complain about Cael when he competes for national titles. Compare that to our sad football and basketball programs (though I do have hope for football now that Chiz is gone).

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Like any other sport, the term is parity. Both in coaches and athletes. Being a "name" coach such as Brands / Cael etc. May not have the nationwide impact it had 20 years ago with Gable / Smith etc. You will have a lot more "pockets" of great regional head coaches and programs, such as Ohio State today. The recruiting job Cael and his staff have performed is very good. I for one feel the lighter weights coaching could improve in the future, as has the heavier weights have made strides.
Cael continues to grow as a coach. And these posters which question his talent as a coach....step in the practice room and watch or perform...otherwise buzz!! To read the poster discuss so and so need to improve...every wrestler has, and so has the competition.
I myself expected quite a bit this year, had some pluses some minus's, but it was an improvement.
I think it is fantastic to see them in the title race yet, tough night tonight.

Get'em Clones

cyclonecraig

Dec 23, 2008
agency,iowa
I think Cael and his team are a class act and will bring us home National titles in the future. I think we forget he has only been head coach for 3 years. We are a national contender and big !2 Champion. The whole team is back next year and additional great recruits. I have not gave up on this year yet, There is alot of wrestling yet to wrestle. Only posting because we need Cael and his coaches to know how important they are to ISU. Go Cyclones Craig

Reactions: jaretac

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm

100% correct as it pertains to posting on the session results thread. Thanks for understanding.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
100% correct as it pertains to posting on the session results thread. Thanks for understanding.

Maybe you should start a subscription-based website so you can make a few bucks off you vastly superior intellect. Meanwhile, I'll keep posting and laughing at you for your false sense of importance.

Reactions: ISUFan22

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Maybe you should start a subscription-based website so you can make a few bucks off you vastly superior intellect. Meanwhile, I'll keep posting and laughing at you for your false sense of importance.
I just want to say that I have no problem answering questions about the sport, but when people see "loss" next to a wrestler's name and say "XXX has been so terrible" or "We have no one at 133 to wrestle" or "Great, we lost one match. The whole season is shot to hell." Well, at that point, actually knowing what you're talking about is a good thing. Those are the posts that are the most irritating. Not "what's SV mean?" or "what is a takedown?" or "how does the scoring work?". Those are fine. Jumping on a team, coach, or player when you have no idea what the hell you're talking about will rub people the wrong way.

IMO, it would be like me going into the MBB forum and saying "If CB was any good, we'd have won more games. Therefore, he sucks."

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I always said that if I start sounding like a spoiled fan when it comes to ISU sports, than I wish someone would slap the hell out of me.

We are all disappointed that the ISU wrestling team did not win a national title this year. But good gosh, ISU will still (hopefully) finish in the top five -- if not the top three -- in the nation. The program has always been considered one of the tops in the nation

Would I take that for the football team? Hell yeah!
Would I take that for the MBB team? Hell yeah!

So, here ISU has one of the top sports programs in the nation -- and it still isn't good enough for some fans?

I watched ISU wrestle a couple of times, albeit on the tube. However, I like the progress this team has made over the last year. I say good things are around the corner for this team.

Again, I am King Kool-Aid Drinker when it comes to ISU sports. But I rather be positive and hope for good things to come.

CaptainCamoBeer

Jan 24, 2007
If there was ever a time for negative reps points, the person who started this thread should get all of them. Unbelievable!

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
If there was ever a time for negative reps points, the person who started this thread should get all of them. Unbelievable!

Go ahead and give them to me--I really don't care.

But, because people don't seem to understand context or read my other posts in this thread:

The reason I started this thread was to keep all these people that were ******** out of the update thread. I was trying to enjoy my updates and kept getting interrupted by people arguing about the coaches. Hence, the "keep the f out of the update thread" comment.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
This is purely my speculation and opinion... In our threads people are asking questions about the rules and scoring of wrestling and see individual wrestlers more as a team or group unit than individual wrestlers. Over at Iowas board people are offering opinions and strategy. Some of the posts on here are like my mom offering a suggestion about computers. Kind of embarassing.

I think our fans need to do a better job understanding the sport. Those guys aren't out there working because of the team or because of Cael. They are working for themselves. They want to finish the best they can as an individual and team accomplishment is a distant second. They have no control over who or how their teammates wrestle and their teammates can't help them at all when they are out on the mat. Our team is more like 10 little teams more than 1 team unit.

Do some research before you start offering opinions about coaches/performances, etc.. You will find that wrestling is a very interesting and enjoyable sport and ISU is poised to be very successful.

:yes::yes:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think Cael needs to reconsider his assistant coaching staff primarily those who work with the lower weights. I'd even go so far as to say that perhaps his brother as top associate was not a great choice.

If anything needs to change, this is probably it. In that ballyhood junior class, Z and Varner are now the top two guys witnessed by both their seed and performance. Reader is in the upper middle weights and almost made the finals as a soph, so he is coming along. Ward was a pleasant surprise, and he and Burk could be in the running for most improved next year with the experience under their belt.

The lower half of the weights have probably been the most disappointing. Gallick is the only AA this year in the group. Has Coach Douglas helped at all with these guys or is it all on Cael's brother? Four of the five will be seniors next year. Both Iowa and OSU wll lose two of their five in the lower weights, and four of tonight's ten finalists are seniors. If we are to make a run, next year has to be the year, and the lower weights are going to have to perform.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He is doing fine. Let him get more of his style of wrestlers. He isnt afraid to say what the problems are and he is working on them.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Go ahead and give them to me--I really don't care.

But, because people don't seem to understand context or read my other posts in this thread:

The reason I started this thread was to keep all these people that were ******** out of the update thread. I was trying to enjoy my updates and kept getting interrupted by people arguing about the coaches. Hence, the "keep the f out of the update thread" comment.

Good luck Civil Engineer...I told'em one time to give "ALL RED" & that didn't work...The boys & Girls stopped giving me RED BOXES!!!

Isn't Red & Yellow Our School Colors?....:biglaugh:

Last edited:

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
I think Cael is doing an excellent job for his 3rd year. 3peat 12 champs. (we haven't done that before). I would say our duel meet record the last 3 years has been about as good as any period in ISU history. At the NCAA we got 2nd two years ago with 6 freshman, last year we where 6 seconds away from 2nd place. This year is a bit of a disappointment, (we'll end up 3rd or 4th)....but overall we're right at the top. We just miss alittle bit of mental and physical edge to push us to #1. I think Cael will work it out. It's the only sport we have a real chance of ever becoming National Champs again.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Anything stupid you want to say about Brands, Cael, Zalesky, Douglas, whoever, do it in here and out of the session discussion thread.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm

Sounds good, Peter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron