ISU Coaching Staff

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Has Cael and his staff lived up to your expectations?

Please discuss here and stay the f out of the update thread.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I think you have to give him more time, I hope he can become a great coach. The year we finished second was outstanding, unfortunately the past two years have been a big letdown.

It seems like he has a recruiting advantage because of his individual record/history. If he doesn't win a national championship soon that advantage will go away.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Look -- I wish we'd dominated more this year -- and last year for that matter (what was it -- 6 seconds of riding time?). I don't know the individual wrestlers and don't presume to individually state their potentials compared to where they are at now.

I think I just have the perspective of lower general expecations, and I try to take joy in having a top 5 (top 3, 2?) wrestling program to watch and cheer for. My current self will be sad if the day ever comes where my future self is ever frustrated with being a top 5 program -- and "in the hunt" for a NC; or if my future self expects (though I can hope) to be #1 and win a NC.

That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed -- even a tad frustrated -- with the number of almosts we've had this season (and last), but I try to remember the individual accomplishments and over achieving along the way. A NC wasn't ever really likely this year -- 2nd place was my best realistic hope -- but the tournament is crazy -- like any other tournament is -- and I had hope after day 1. Early problems today don't mean we're out of it -- and we're better in the upper weights.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think we have to say he's pretty much the best coach (results wise) we got.

Not sure there's even an arguement there. Maybe CJ, since she's taken the volleyball team to heights never seen before. But Cael has put more hardware in the case.

I know we have a very proud tradition in wrestling. But I think 3 for 3 in conference crowns is pretty good and it's rather dangerous for ISU fans to start "expecting" national titles.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I think Cael needs to reconsider his assistant coaching staff primarily those who work with the lower weights. I'd even go so far as to say that perhaps his brother as top associate was not a great choice.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Anyone who thinks that Cael should be fired is stupid. How many Big12 titles did we win in the 10 years before Cael? How many Big12 titles have we won since Cael became the head coach? Does everyone realize that Cael has won 1/5 of all of our conference team titles?

We haven't won a national title in wrestling in twenty years. We have a history, but it isn't that big of a history that we can be cocky about it. I doubt that even OSU would fire a coach for winning three conference titles but no national championships in three years.

Be real. For a reality check, check this site: Iowa State Cyclones wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
It is really a sad statement of our society where all we do is judge people on their won / lost record....:skeptical:

How many wins and losses do each of you have........?

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
This thread will just be 180 out from the way are guys do tonight.

None of the Cael talk came up when ISU was kicking butt the first day, then we had that less than impressive showing from our light-weights this morning, and bam - poor coaching posts. Then it went away again as the tide turned in our favor over the noon hour. (Onryactor where are you now?)

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
It is really a sad statement of our society where all we do is judge people on their won / lost record....:skeptical:

How many wins and losses do each of you have........?

I think most people are judged by wins and losses.

How long does a car salesman last if he sells no cars, but is a nice guy?

How do you view a man that has lost his marriage by cheating on his wife?

Wins and losses are real life.

That said--Cael is winning. He is the coach for a long time at ISU if it is what he wants to do. I can agree with the comments about the lighter weights--that's our weakness right now. Talk of Cael not coming through is a joke. No one has done what he's done at ISU in 20+ years.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
And we are still in good position to win the national title. We are second behind Ohio State, who we will likely pass tonight. If I recall, Iowa is #4 in team standings right now. Why are we even discussing this, I'm out of here.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
This is purely my speculation and opinion... In our threads people are asking questions about the rules and scoring of wrestling and see individual wrestlers more as a team or group unit than individual wrestlers. Over at Iowas board people are offering opinions and strategy. Some of the posts on here are like my mom offering a suggestion about computers. Kind of embarassing.

I think our fans need to do a better job understanding the sport. Those guys aren't out there working because of the team or because of Cael. They are working for themselves. They want to finish the best they can as an individual and team accomplishment is a distant second. They have no control over who or how their teammates wrestle and their teammates can't help them at all when they are out on the mat. Our team is more like 10 little teams more than 1 team unit.

Do some research before you start offering opinions about coaches/performances, etc.. You will find that wrestling is a very interesting and enjoyable sport and ISU is poised to be very successful.

Reactions: coachdags

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I would say that Cael (and his staff) is doing OK...esp since I really dont have that high an expectation for wrestling in the first place!!!

The worst thing that ever happened to isu wrestling was when the Great Dan Gable walked out of Ames and went to iowa city....

I just refuse to get serious about wrestling until Cael can beat the hawks in a dual meet!!!!

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
This is purely my speculation and opinion... In our threads people are asking questions about the rules and scoring of wrestling and see individual wrestlers more as a team or group unit than individual wrestlers. Over at Iowas board people are offering opinions and strategy. Some of the posts on here are like my mom offering a suggestion about computers. Kind of embarassing.

I think our fans need to do a better job understanding the sport. Those guys aren't out there working because of the team or because of Cael. They are working for themselves. They want to finish the best they can as an individual and team accomplishment is a distant second. They have no control over who or how their teammates wrestle and their teammates can't help them at all when they are out on the mat. Our team is more like 10 little teams more than 1 team unit.

Do some research before you start offering opinions about coaches/performances, etc.. You will find that wrestling is a very interesting and enjoyable sport and ISU is poised to be very successful.

I pretty much agree with your post...except for the numerous put downs and such. I'm not an "expert", but I know a little about wrestling. I also know that it is a very hard sport to learn about and get into from an outsider's view--it's been a long, hard process getting my wife to learn some things about wrestling.

One thing I know doesn't help the wrestling crowd: putting down people that don't know as much. You should be explaining your points and how things work without belittling others. I think you'll find more people will understand (this works for daily life, also).

Besides the coaching back and forth, today's Friday NCAA thread was a place that people could ask questions (no matter how stupid you or other great fans thought they were), and get answers to help them understand. I don't think you get many new fans by comparing people to their mom on a computer.

Anyway, GO CLONES!

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa

This.

Any talk about Cael is just stupid. We win 3 straight Big 12 championships and suddenly its not good enough.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
First, let me say, I absolutely think Cael is the best coach we can find for the job for a number of reasons I will not go into.

That being said, I think many, if not most, ISU fans are disappointed with what appears to be a lack of an agressive style of wrestling. When it is present, the team seems to have much more success. When it is not, the team seems to stumble.

Cael has said it himself. At the start of the year, he stated that a more aggressive style was needed, and that is what he wanted to deliver. He stated just yesterday or this morning that yesterday's success was because of the agressive style of wrestling.

The frustration for fans is that this style of wrestling does not seem to be a trademark of the team, even though the head coach recognizes that it is needed. Maybe it is just his lack of experience as a head coach. It seems at times that the team is more passive than agressive, waiting for the action to come to them or develop, rather than creating something and taking control of their matches.

I don't think anyone wants Cael fired. A lot of fans though are frustrated that it seems the team can not quite get over the hump, and that sometimes the wrestlers are not very aggressive in their approach.

Cael was a great wrestler, perhaps the best in collegiate history. I think he can become a great coach. It is just frustrating for many fans that the agressive attitude seemingly cannot be instilled in the wrestlers even when the head coach recognizes that is what is needed.

The whole team is back next year, and there are some very good recruits coming in. Hopefully, things will improve even more.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I pretty much agree with your post...except for the numerous put downs and such. I'm not an "expert", but I know a little about wrestling. I also know that it is a very hard sport to learn about and get into from an outsider's view--it's been a long, hard process getting my wife to learn some things about wrestling.

One thing I know doesn't help the wrestling crowd: putting down people that don't know as much. You should be explaining your points and how things work without belittling others. I think you'll find more people will understand (this works for daily life, also).

Besides the coaching back and forth, today's Friday NCAA thread was a place that people could ask questions (no matter how stupid you or other great fans thought they were), and get answers to help them understand. I don't think you get many new fans by comparing people to their mom on a computer.

Anyway, GO CLONES!

Oh we have a ton of knowledgeable fans too. They just don't litter the boards with trash about if Cael is the right coach or how crappy our wrestlers are doing.

I don't think theres anything wrong with people asking questions but sometimes I think a little self research would go a long way. I don't know a whole lot about basketball but I picked up enough that I am able to follow the rules and such when I watch a game.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
O.K., according to a few on this board:

1. If you have the gall to not have some undefined level of wrestling knowledge you shouldn't post your ill-informed opinions here. Apparently you have to earn the right to post and you should go do research.

2. If you have some shred of doubt about Cael, you are stupid. (I still don't think I've heard anybody say he should be fired. I have, however, heard angry posters demand people name a replacement if they are not 100% happy with the team's performance).