ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
There are dots being connected that don't necessarily connect.

It's entirely possible that the staff member and the student-athletes are separate instances, and not that they all got it as a result of being at the facilities.
How long have they been back on campus? If its just been in June they had it before this started up. Frankly younger people aren't following isolation guideline(see Memorial Day). Student athletes are not different and many are likely taking risks that will lead to exposure and infection.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is bound to happen unfortunately. Have to limit risk the best we can, keep up with testing and keep social distancing. Somewhere along the line "flatten the curve" became "sit and home and wait for the cure" for some folks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Gross exaggeration. The threat to well conditioned young people is miniscule. The concern is with them carrying it to vulnerable relatives.

Ive seen enough professional soccer players drop dead in the middle of a game to know that being well conditioned doesn’t overcome undetected heart defects. You can ask Fred about it too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Gross exaggeration. The threat to well conditioned young people is miniscule. The concern is with them carrying it to vulnerable relatives.

the threat to minorities is much higher.

but that’s not the point. Even if you concede that’s it’s cool if a bunch of athletes get COVID, it’s going to be very hard to keep them all healthy enough to play. I think we all agree that even a person with no symptoms would have to sit for 2 weeks. We’ve seen how fast this spreads in a close environment. Now, the conditions in a meat packing plant are worse than a team, but I bet they are as physically close during practices/games/workouts.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

but that’s not the point. Even if you concede that’s it’s cool if a bunch of athletes get COVID, it’s going to be very hard to keep them all healthy enough to play. I think we all agree that even a person with no symptoms would have to sit for 2 weeks. We’ve seen how fast this spreads in a close environment. Now, the conditions in a meat packing plant are worse than a team, but I bet they are as physically close during practices/games/workouts.

JP mentioned infected students would probably miss 3-6 weeks of action.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is bound to happen unfortunately. Have to limit risk the best we can, keep up with testing and keep social distancing. Somewhere along the line "flatten the curve" became "sit and home and wait for the cure" for some folks.

that’s fine. But don’t you think it becomes pretty hard to social distance on a team? How many positive tests can we have and still play a game?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
that’s fine. But don’t you think it becomes pretty hard to social distance on a team? How many positive tests can we have and still play a game?

It won't be perfect but they'll have to have rigorous testing. As soon as someone tests positive they'll have to be quarantined as soon as possible. You're right, you can't always social distance properly in a team setting. People will get exposed to the virus and some will probably get it. To me it's not eliminating risk its reducing risk as much as you can. I'd assume these athletes know the risk of coming back.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yep. And we know that factories are having infection rates of 20-30%. Now athletes will get treated better and I have no doubt Iowa State will do their best to socially distance but it’s hard to see how we don’t have a 20% infection rate all year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It won't be perfect but they'll have to have rigorous testing. As soon as someone tests positive they'll have to be quarantined as soon as possible. You're right, you can't always social distance properly in a team setting. People will get exposed to the virus and some will probably get it. To me it's not eliminating risk its reducing risk as much as you can. I'd assume these athletes know the risk of coming back.

Yes, but again it’s hard to see how the number of infections doesn’t make it really hard to play.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ive seen enough professional soccer players drop dead in the middle of a game to know that being well conditioned doesn’t overcome undetected heart defects. You can ask Fred about it too.

Yes, being alive carries risk. Since the pandemic started 112 young people in the US (0-24) have died of COVID19. 35,136 have died due to all causes.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Obviously they have to be highly proactive in monitoring this with our teams, but I have no doubt they will.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

And for many 'flatten the curve' meant 'welp, that's over'.

There's a balance in there somewhere...let's see what happens at ISU.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

No one is "cool" with a bunch of our kids getting infected. It's a concern that will have to be closely monitored.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

At some point it becomes cheaper to just not play.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Let’s play some sports! **** the players and staffs, if they get sick and die they get sick and die. I’m bored! We can’t just not do stuff because there’s a deadly virus everywhere!
What is the percentage of deaths outside of long term care facilities or people with underlying conditions?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Have a feeling “the curve”, which had flattened and was declining is about to explode again anyway.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Have a feeling “the curve”, which had flattened and was declining is about to explode again anyway.

Yep time will tell for sure. We're going to have a lot more sick in America or the second wave of curve wasn't as bad as predicted.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
What is the percentage of deaths outside of long term care facilities or people with underlying conditions?

The average death age of Covid is 85 which is well higher than the average death age of an American. Obviously it's still very serious, but statistically speaking the risk of death is much lower for healthy college athletes. Not zero, but lower.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes, being alive carries risk. Since the pandemic started 112 young people in the US (0-24) have died of COVID19. 35,136 have died due to all causes.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Obviously they have to be highly proactive in monitoring this with our teams, but I have no doubt they will.

Once you get it, there’s no reliable treatment or cure. Color me an ******* I guess that I will take every precaution to protect the lives of my ISU family. Even if that means not playing football games.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The average death age of Covid is 85 which is well higher than the average death age of an American. Obviously it's still very serious, but statistically speaking the risk of death is much lower for healthy college athletes. Not zero, but lower.

Now do what happens when you don’t die. Or in your mind is either death or just go back to like it never happened?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
https://cyclones.com/news/2020/6/3/...port-first-positive-covid-19-test-result.aspx

A part-time student worker notified the department over the weekend of a positive result and the athletics department staff member that worked closely with the student worker has been quarantined. Contract tracing procedures related to the incident are also underway. Additionally, four student-athletes (two different sports) have experienced symptoms after being in close contact with individuals outside of the athletics department who have been infected by the virus. Those student-athletes are also in quarantine and are awaiting test results.

Reactions: Statefan10

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Now do what happens when you don’t die. Or in your mind is either death or just go back to like it never happened?

Sorry - I'm not following your post/question.

I do know in this thread I've said it's very serious and we still need to have adequate testing, social distancing and treat it seriously. Can't act like it's nothing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron