ISU and Iowa among least fair-weather fans in America

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Nice deflection.

I'm pretty sure fans knew about senior day and the way the season was going long before they knew snow was in the forecast.

But hey, glad to know you had prepared excuses.

It isn't deflection to say that attendance was down that year. It was about losing season ticket holders from the year before. Also the snows did keep people who travel away as well. People from Des Moines and western Iowa weren't going to travel through that. Much like attendance at that Game to decide the Big12 North champs, if I recall that was horrible weather, and there was nobody in the stands.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It isn't deflection to say that attendance was down that year. It was about losing season ticket holders from the year before. Also the snows did keep people who travel away as well. People from Des Moines and western Iowa weren't going to travel through that. Much like attendance at that Game to decide the Big12 North champs, if I recall that was horrible weather, and there was nobody in the stands.

My point is mid-season Iowa fans knew there was a decent chance they were going to run the table. Yet tickets even then were not gobbled up for the remaining home games...it shouldn't even have been left to the final couple days before the game.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Lol. Hawk fans. The ideas you all create as a coping mechanism to prevent you from having to acknowledge how truly insignificant you are

It's sad.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Will you unlock the other Iowa ball thread so I can comment in it and then lock it back up again? #modpower

When things get to 10k posts, the mods start monitoring harder and realize it messes with job and those threads usually get locked good or bad.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Will you unlock the other Iowa ball thread so I can comment in it and then lock it back up again? #modpower
Oh great, now he's going all "mod abuse" on us. We went straight from 'lame argument' to full-on 'mental disability' in one swing. Call in the internet feelings department, someone attacked a mod again!

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
My point is mid-season Iowa fans knew there was a decent chance they were going to run the table. Yet tickets even then were not gobbled up for the remaining home games...it shouldn't even have been left to the final couple days before the game.
Apparently we need some more fair weather fans. Look, this thread just came full circle.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: MeowingCows

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

ISU played against Missouri on Nov 27th 2004. ISU was playing for a spot in the Big12 championship game. If they win this game they win the Big12 North. ISU got 40,626 fans in the stadium that day. That was about 88% full (capacity was 45,800 back then). Iowa played Purdue and had 62,900 in attendance and that is about 89% of capacity.

Rocks, Glass house.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
ISU played against Missouri on Nov 27th 2004. ISU was playing for a spot in the Big12 championship game. If they win this game they win the Big12 North. ISU got 40,626 fans in the stadium that day. That was about 88% full (capacity was 45,800 back then). Iowa played Purdue and had 62,900 in attendance and that is about 89% of capacity.

Rocks, Glass house.

You seem to be forgetting how the Iowa ad has admitted they overcount attendance. That's why that sellout streak was bogus.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Rocks, Glass house.

You going to bring up attendance numbers from the 90's next?

Also, playing for the Big 12 North != playing for an undefeated season. Keep reaching, though.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Rocks, Glass house.

You're having to reach back 13 years man....pretty sad. I've yet to find an ISU fan who isn't upset there weren't more fans that day. And you know what happened not too far after all of that? McCarney was canned because even though he had brought ISU to new levels compared to the past, he wasn't getting butts in seats or donations. ISU did something about it.

Plus since then, JP, the marketing, facility upgrades, and increased fan support have been extremely evident. Name any other team that gets 2-3 wins a year that is getting 50k plus per game including sellouts over 60k.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You're having to reach back 13 years man....pretty sad. I've yet to find an ISU fan who isn't upset there weren't more fans that day. And you know what happened not too far after all of that? McCarney was canned because even though he had brought ISU to new levels compared to the past, he wasn't getting butts in seats or donations. ISU did something about it.

Plus since then, JP, the marketing, facility upgrades, and increased fan support have been extremely evident. Name any other team that gets 2-3 wins a year that is getting 50k plus per game including sellouts over 60k.

All of that has equaled less wins since McCarney was shown the door.

He won 7 games or more 5 times in his final 7 seasons at ISU. ISU won 7 or more games 5 times between 1960 and 1999 prior to McCarney's run.

7 or more victories has been accomplished 1 time in the 10 seasons post McCarney and ISU is on their 3rd coach in the last decade.

Nice work, Pollard.

Reactions: HawkeyeMashup

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
All of that has equaled less wins since McCarney was shown the door.

He won 7 games or more 5 times in his final 7 seasons at ISU. ISU won 7 or more games 5 times between 1960 and 1999 prior to McCarney's run.

7 or more victories has been accomplished 1 time in the 10 seasons post McCarney and ISU is on their 3rd coach in the last decade.

Nice work, Pollard.

Yeah let's ignore the bulk of McCarney's good seasons where when ISU played in divisions and skipped half the south teams....in addition to getting 1 more non-conf game against a cupcake.

But yeah lets just compare apples to oranges.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah let's ignore the bulk of McCarney's good seasons where when ISU played in divisions and skipped half the south teams....in addition to getting 1 more non-conf game against a cupcake.

But yeah lets just compare apples to oranges.

Schedule Sounds kinda like Iowa now, doesn't it?

• Winner
Reactions: mj4cy

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

How is it my fault that the last big game played in Jack Trice was 13 years ago?

If fan support is so great why did ISU average 52,000 in a 61,000 seat stadium this year (85% capacity). Last year Iowa averaged over 69,600 in a 70,585 (99% capacity).

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
You seem to be forgetting how the Iowa ad has admitted they overcount attendance. That's why that sellout streak was bogus.

Ok, what does that have to do with last year? I didn't see anyone bringing up a "sellout" streak from 5+ years ago.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
How is it my fault that the last big game played in Jack Trice was 13 years ago?

If fan support is so great why did ISU average 52,000 in a 61,000 seat stadium this year (85% capacity). Last year Iowa averaged over 69,600 in a 70,585 (99% capacity).
You'd think highly successful, stories programs would and should be averaging 99% while consistent 3-win teams wouldn't be anywhere close to 85%...

Use you imagination and flip our records. Tell me what you see.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

At least you admit that Iowa isn't a big game

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron