ISU #4 in ESPN FPI

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I know ESPN teased this already, but they released the entire top 25 today, so why shouldn't we take a moment to recognize again ISU is FREEKIN #4! Incredible.

These are unchartered waters for sure, wow.

Anyone else surprised to see Oklahoma State in the top ten? I mean spencer sanders has shown to be good at times but they lose tylan wallace and some key guys...

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My wife just saw the FPI Top 5 on the ESPN ticker (watching the Reds on ESPN2) and literally said WTF? LOL!

Reactions: Aclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
A few points:

Pre-Season FPI means NOTHING, because there have not been any games played. All 130 FBS teams have the same power rating right now = 0.0.

I will root against Iowa in every game. If they win games - so be it, but I'm not rooting for them.

Oklahoma State was the only team to beat Iowa State in the Regular Season last year, and they beat ISU in Ames 2 years ago. They are a real PITA!

Let's Go State!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
A few points:

Pre-Season FPI means NOTHING, because there have not been any games played. All 130 FBS teams have the same power rating right now = 0.0.

I will root against Iowa in every game. If they win games - so be it, but I'm not rooting for them.

Oklahoma State was the only team to beat Iowa State in the Regular Season last year, and they beat ISU in Ames 2 years ago. They are a real PITA!

Let's Go State!
It does not mean NOTHING. Being rated high pre-season means we have a lot of really productive players returning. That is pretty meaningful. Thanks for trying to drop some knowledge on us, but you missed the mark.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It does not mean NOTHING. Being rated high pre-season means we have a lot of really productive players returning. That is pretty meaningful. Thanks for trying to drop some knowledge on us, but you missed the mark.
Well, I tried. :) I'll go study my College Football 101 Book and take the quiz again later. :p I'll make sure I specifically study the SOS chapter really hard and figure out how teams that have not played any games yet have tougher SOS than other teams that have not played yet either. I'm just a simple boy, so it's hard!

Last edited:
  • Creative
  • Dumb
Reactions: Aclone and harimad

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Well, I tired. :) I'll go study my College Football 101 Book and take the quiz again later. :p I'll make sure I specifically study the SOS chapter really hard and figure out how teams that have not played any games yet have tougher SOS than other teams that have not played yet either. I'm just a simple boy, so it's hard!
Careful, your passive aggressive is showing.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Will McDonald led the FBS in sacks last year and wasn't even a starter. He has put on 10 lbs so far this offseason.
giphy.gif

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yeah caught the first bit of that. Not beating Iowa is just the easy straw to clutch. The tone would be totally different if an Iowa team were in this position, regardless of record against ISU. They’re incredulous that we could be this good, and they write us off wholesale. They couldn’t even name Texas’s new head coach, so they clearly don’t feel like they need to pay attention to our side of things in the Big 12.
Took 72 posts into this thread for someone to mention those butt pilgrims from Iowa City. Good! I hope they are a top 15 team when we kick the piss out of them.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
It's possible that ISU plays OU 3 times. Regular season, Big 12 Championship, and playoffs (OU and ISU start highly rated and the Big 12 overall is highly rated).

It's not crazy to say we could lose in the regular season, win a Big 12 Championship, and then win a playoff game or *National Championship* versus OU.

But it's still crazy to me!

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
As Iowa State we will need to go undefeated.
I agree that only a handful of blue blood teams can take a loss and still make the playoffs. ISU is not one of them. This is also the biggest reason the playoffs need to be expanded.

But, if we make the CCG, win or lose, we are likely headed to the Sugar bowl. We win and don't make the CFP or we lose and the winner does make the CFP then the contract says we are bringing in 2022 in New Orleans.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Wonder if we find a way to trip over our own cleats and lose to Iowa and/or UNI or if Campbell finally figures out how to have a team start the season with a killer instinct? I’m excited as heck, but the start of every season the past five years has been butt ugly.

You only get so many great games per season. I'm still fine with the slow starts. We just need to play well enough to win.

31-7 over UNI
24-14 over Iowa
then start building some momentum to finish the season strong. Peak after Thanksgiving

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It's possible that ISU plays OU 3 times. Regular season, Big 12 Championship, and playoffs (OU and ISU start highly rated and the Big 12 overall is highly rated).

It's not crazy to say we could lose in the regular season, win a Big 12 Championship, and then win a playoff game or *National Championship* versus OU.

But it's still crazy to me!
No. They will never "let" two B12 teams in, even if it's the most obvious answer.
But, yes, it's technically possible. :)

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I agree that only a handful of blue blood teams can take a loss and still make the playoffs. ISU is not one of them. This is also the biggest reason the playoffs need to be expanded.
We haven't seen many non-blue blood teams make the CFP, period. In the seven years we've had it, Washington, Oregon or Michigan St are the three worst 'brands' to make the field. All three won their conference and had one loss, for the record.

In fact, of the 28 bids over the 7 years, 17 have gone to 1 loss teams. Of those 17, just three went to teams that didn't win their conference - Ohio St in 2016, Alabama in 2017 and Notre Dame in 2020.

On the flip side, only three P5 teams that won their conference but had one loss have been left out - Baylor and TCU in 2014 and Ohio St in 2018. We all remember how the Big XII bungled 2014, but three of the four teams to make the field had one loss, so two were going to get left out no matter what. Similarly, Oklahoma made the field in 2018 along with three undefeated teams, so a one loss conference champion was going to get left out no matter what.

Could a one loss ISU get in with a conference championship? History seems to indicate we have a pretty good shot, particularly considering the Big XII should be much stronger than the ACC and PAC this year.