ISU 17th in AP poll.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Do you think the coaches should have Iowa ranked ahead of ISU? I don't.

8e88f1dd9d1d79dc9dece091e88cd105.gif

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Legitimately anything else. Why do people give a **** about this?

I have no fear of losing to Iowa in Hilton this year, so it would be nice to pick up an extra win over a ranked opponent in the non-con. Even if they're exposed after playing us, we'll still get the benefit of that win pushing us further up in the polls and giving us a little buffer to make sure we stay there when the inevitable losses in conference play happen.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Increased attention. Increased notoriety. Nice bump to the SOS.
It's just a lot more fun with two noted teams out there, even if the eastern one doesn't deserve their ranking.

I find watching Iowa squirm at the bottom where they belong to be much more enjoyable.

Notoriety, SOS, attention will all come during the B12 season, Iowa is nothing but a foot note that creates no long term value.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I find watching Iowa squirm at the bottom where they belong to be much more enjoyable.

Notoriety, SOS, attention will all come during the B12 season, Iowa is nothing but a foot note that creates no long term value.

I don't know, I think watching Iowa fly too close to the sun and then come crashing back down to earth might be just as much fun.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
Awesome! Keep winning.

Seriously though, Iowa should NOT be ranked. I don't care that they are 5-0. Look at who they have played:
* UNC-Wilmington: 3-4
* Nebraska-Omaha: 3-3
* MD-Eastern Shore: 2-2
* Abilene Christian: 2-5
* Pennsylvania: 1-3

Combined opponent record = 11-17. 4 of those wins from Iowa's opponents were against non-D1 schools too. 0 of those wins were against any major conferences, and only one win was against an OK mid major conference. That was Nebraska-Omaha beating Northern Illinois, who is 2-3 themselves.

Sure, Iowa COULD be good this year, but the rankings are based off of what's been done as of now. I don't think the above resume screams top 25.

Iowa is almost soley being off of what they did last year combined with who they have back. You knew they were going to be ranked early with how many votes they got in the preseason and the fact that they were pretty much guaranteed a 5-0 start. Thursday will be interesting. I think it would have been smarter to play at least one okay opponent before they play their holiday tourny.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
So, to steer this back towards Iowa State a little bit, I think we'll probably end up staying put this week. It doesn't look like any of the possibly over-ranked teams ahead of us have any big challenges this week, except maybe Florida playing Florida State. However, it doesn't look like anybody behind us has a big enough opponent scheduled to leapfrog us.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
C'mon guys, why are we focused on Iowa being ranked and not our guys being 17th? We've been waiting for this time for a while. Now the top two team in the state are who they should be.

This all day. I'm not even thinking about Iowa until December 13th and then I won't think about them again. Anyone who does needs to check their priorities.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Awesome for clones!

iowa hasn't done anything to prove they are top 25, but they also haven't done anything to prove they aren't. It would be outstanding to have 2 ranked teams playing each other on dec. 13. Gotta keep winning!

go cyclones!

Woah.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Who cares about Iowa? Let them be ranked for all I give a crap. Makes our win over them @ Hilton look much better.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have no fear of losing to Iowa in Hilton this year, so it would be nice to pick up an extra win over a ranked opponent in the non-con. Even if they're exposed after playing us, we'll still get the benefit of that win pushing us further up in the polls and giving us a little buffer to make sure we stay there when the inevitable losses in conference play happen.

Ye of little faith...