ISU 17th in AP poll.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Awesome! Keep winning.

Seriously though, Iowa should NOT be ranked. I don't care that they are 5-0. Look at who they have played:
* UNC-Wilmington: 3-4
* Nebraska-Omaha: 3-3
* MD-Eastern Shore: 2-2
* Abilene Christian: 2-5
* Pennsylvania: 1-3

Combined opponent record = 11-17. 4 of those wins from Iowa's opponents were against non-D1 schools too. 0 of those wins were against any major conferences, and only one win was against an OK mid major conference. That was Nebraska-Omaha beating Northern Illinois, who is 2-3 themselves.

Sure, Iowa COULD be good this year, but the rankings are based off of what's been done as of now. I don't think the above resume screams top 25.

Reactions: Psyclone Brian

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
UMASS should be ranked higher.

VCU crashed out of the top 25 pretty quickly.

Wisconsin and Wichita State are overrated right now.

Credit Iowa for not losing. However, their matchup with Xavier will be very tough.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
UMASS should be ranked higher.

VCU crashed out of the top 25 pretty quickly.

Wisconsin and Wichita State are overrated right now.

Credit Iowa for not losing. However, their matchup with Xavier will be very tough.

Yup. That will be their first loss.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
C'mon guys, why are we focused on Iowa being ranked and not our guys being 17th? We've been waiting for this time for a while. Now the top two team in the state are who they should be.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm a die hard Badger fan and Cyclone fan. I will tell you right now Iowa State is right where they should be and Wisconsin has no business being 10th and is overrated, Florida is really the only big team they've played this year. They almost lost to UW Green Bay. Go Cyclones!!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Awesome! Keep winning.

Seriously though, Iowa should NOT be ranked. I don't care that they are 5-0. Look at who they have played:
* UNC-Wilmington: 3-4
* Nebraska-Omaha: 3-3
* MD-Eastern Shore: 2-2
* Abilene Christian: 2-5
* Pennsylvania: 1-3

Combined opponent record = 11-17. 4 of those wins from Iowa's opponents were against non-D1 schools too. 0 of those wins were against any major conferences, and only one win was against an OK mid major conference. That was Nebraska-Omaha beating Northern Illinois, who is 2-3 themselves.

Sure, Iowa COULD be good this year, but the rankings are based off of what's been done as of now. I don't think the above resume screams top 25.

Their SOS is #344, that's almost dead last of all D1 teams, so if they don't beat Xavier, it will have been incredibly silly that they entered the rankings already.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm a little surprised Duke stayed as high as they did with two narrow escapes against mediocre competition in Cameron. I suppose without a loss to force their hand the media has to keep the freshman hype machine going.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Their SOS is #344, that's almost dead last of all D1 teams, so if they don't beat Xavier, it will have been incredibly silly that they entered the rankings already.

Yep, and it's not a statement of whether Iowa is good or bad. It's just a statement of what they've done so far. If Iowa is top 25 this week, then every year of the McDermott era to start, we should have been ranked too.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Are people actually surprised about Iowa getting ranked. They were lurking just outside the poll the first few weeks, whether they deserved to be getting votes or not. Once a few ranked teams inevitably fell out, they were always going to sneak in unless they got a bad loss to prove those voters wrong.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Awesome.

Also, love Iowa being ranked. What could be better than a top-25 matchup of in-state rivals in Hilton??? But they'll have to survive Xavier and ND and we got Auburn and UNI... so it's far from guaranteed.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I have no problem with Iowa being ranked. Who behind them deserves to be ranked in front of them? Maybe UMass??

Rankings at this point aren't based on a long track record for most teams. They will have the opportunity to earn their ranking between now and December 13th with the Battle for Atlantis, Notre Dame at home, and @ Hilton.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
How are we still ranked below Michigan in coaches poll when they have two looses to teams ranked below them? B1G bias?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Awesome.

Also, love Iowa being ranked. What could be better than a top-25 matchup of in-state rivals in Hilton??? But they'll have to survive Xavier and ND and we got Auburn and UNI... so it's far from guaranteed.

Legitimately anything else. Why do people give a **** about this?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron