ISR: CyHawk 2021

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I believe we're talking just the past two. Or at least I was. Since Nate Stanley has been QB, Iowa's truly been a playmaker behind the center from being an elite team overall.
Probably so. Zach Wilson would’ve looked pretty good in Black and Gold

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Of course when ISU has won the game it comes down to them doing several things better than Iowa. I mean there a lots of ways to win a football game. It doesn’t just come down to who had more yards. Turnovers is the single biggest factor in winning, explosive plays a big part as well. Which ironically really are the only things that kept ISU in the game with Iowa in 2019 (2 explosive plays for scores), but ultimately the poor special teams plays and turnovers sealed ISU fate in 2019.
Kept us in the game in 2019? Iowa was the one that needed things to happen to keep them in it. ISU looked like the dominate team, they had a 130 more yards of offense. Turnovers and mental mistake cost ISU. I also love how Iowa fans kind of insinuate that trying to hit from deep (hit on a big explosive play) is some how not winning the right way or cheating or that we need to gimmick to win. Iowa is hard to score on in the red zone, so it make sense to try and hit on some big ones. It's not luck, it is strategy.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Of course when ISU has won the game it comes down to them doing several things better than Iowa. I mean there a lots of ways to win a football game. It doesn’t just come down to who had more yards. Turnovers is the single biggest factor in winning, explosive plays a big part as well. Which ironically really are the only things that kept ISU in the game with Iowa in 2019 (2 explosive plays for scores), but ultimately the poor special teams plays and turnovers sealed ISU fate in 2019.
Or as Hawk fans are prone to say, "They didn't beat us, we allowed them to win. I am so tired of losing to teams that we are better than".

• Haha
Reactions: cooper6911

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Kept us in the game in 2019? Iowa was the one that needed things to happen to keep them in it. ISU looked like the dominate team, they had a 130 more yards of offense. Turnovers and mental mistake cost ISU. I also love how Iowa fans kind of insinuate that trying to hit from deep (hit on a big explosive play) is some how not winning the right way or cheating or that we need to gimmick to win. Iowa is hard to score on in the red zone, so it make sense to try and hit on some big ones. It's not luck, it is strategy.

Dominate teams don't make the mental mistake and have the turnover that ISU did. Of course explosive plays are winning plays, not even sure what you are talking about here? For ISU when you put it all together the explosive plays couldn't make up for all the mental mistakes and turnovers. To act like 130 yards of offense means ISU "dominated" just means you don't understand football. If ISU "dominated" the game they would have won 42-18. As it was they didn't dominate, they got beat because Iowa did more things to win than ISU did.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Or as Hawk fans are prone to say, "They didn't beat us, we allowed them to win. I am so tired of losing to teams that we are better than".

LOL, Iowa was a better team in 2019 than ISU was. They went on the road and beat ISU and they won 10 games. ISU was a good team in 2019, they weren't on Iowa's level though.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
LOL, Iowa was a better team in 2019 than ISU was. They went on the road and beat ISU and they won 10 games. ISU was a good team in 2019, they weren't on Iowa's level though.
giphy.gif

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Dominate teams don't make the mental mistake and have the turnover that ISU did. Of course explosive plays are winning plays, not even sure what you are talking about here? For ISU when you put it all together the explosive plays couldn't make up for all the mental mistakes and turnovers. To act like 130 yards of offense means ISU "dominated" just means you don't understand football. If ISU "dominated" the game they would have won 42-18. As it was they didn't dominate, they got beat because Iowa did more things to win than ISU did.
giphy.gif

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
In other words... "10 win team beats team who's not on their level by single point."

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It is fascinating to hear ISU fan’s revisionist history of the 2019 game. The refs cost us the game, and now ISU beat Iowa in every facet except score, LOL. First of all scores are the only thing that matter. Also Iowa completely and utterly destroyed ISU in the special teams phase of the game. Iowa also won the turnover battle. So Iowa beat ISU convincingly in the single biggest facet of the game (turnovers) and dominate them in another big phase of the game (special teams). Oh and by the way they scored more points. LOL at looking at just total yards and thinking that tells the story of the game.
LOL thinking that something like total yards is part of the discussion.

Reactions: cayin

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

No kidding. The quote doesn't apply when Iowa wins the game. But basically every time Iowa loses, that's the prevailing narrative: that ISU isn't better, Iowa just screwed up. It's every bit as tired as the Super Bowl narrative.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wow I didn't realize that game had a 3% win expectancy for Iowa. We really blew that one and 2017.

There was a point in both 2017 and 19 when ISU had the chance to put the foot on the throat and they just flailed around in various ways to let it slip and Iowa took advantage.

Honestly I expect no different tomorrow just based on trends. You can't base anything off of week 1 (or any week in college football) BUT I was hoping we'd see a different version of September ISU football and it was way too similar.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
There was a point in both 2017 and 19 when ISU had the chance to put the foot on the throat and they just flailed around in various ways to let it slip and Iowa took advantage.

Honestly I expect no different tomorrow just based on trends. You can't base anything off of week 1 (or any week in college football) BUT I was hoping we'd see a different version of September ISU football and it was way too similar.

Maybe I'm just not as deeply embedded as y'all, but I'd be willing to chalk up a lot of last week's performance to peeking ahead to tomorrow. The rest on UNI's massive chip on their shoulders and Kolar being out.