ISR: CyHawk 2021

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Just saw THT will be in the house and signing autographs before the game.

View attachment 89507

There's an Iowa thread talking about how many NFL players they have vs ISU...and they do have a lot.

ISU is going to have more NBA players watching Saturday in person than Iowa has had in a couple decades.

With Cook finally breaking through last year it's the first one I'd actually count beyond a cup of coffee since Reggie Evans career. He's still only scored 40% as many points as Matt Thomas but it's enough I will say they got a single player finally.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I think WR’s are a bit of a question mark, but LaPorta has looked very good. His ability to get YAC is impressive.

The Iowa State game plan on defense better be to take LaPorta away. Take LaPorta way and Petras is going to struggle. Force the ball outside the numbers in obvious passing situations.

A lot of inexperience at receiver for Iowa and the first true road game with fans for Petras. Make him get to his second and third options and you'll create turnovers.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

IowaLoud

Jun 1, 2021
The Iowa State game plan on defense better be to take LaPorta away. Take LaPorta way and Petras is going to struggle. Force the ball outside the numbers in obvious passing situations.

A lot of inexperience at receiver for Iowa and the first true road game with fans for Petras. Make him get to his second and third options and you'll create turnovers.
That could also be said for Purdy and Kolar. If Iowa takes away Kolar, ISU will stall on offense. Iowa needs to focus on crash the LOS and removing the TE’s. They did a good job of limiting Hendershot of IU, who is a very good receiving TE, and we saw how Penix struggled.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
That could also be said for Purdy and Kolar. If Iowa takes away Kolar, ISU will stall on offense. Iowa needs to focus on crash the LOS and removing the TE’s. They did a good job of limiting Hendershot of IU, who is a very good receiving TE, and we saw how Penix struggled.

Iowa State has a proven 1st team All Conference player in Hutchinson on the outside. Milton is also a lot more experienced than Tracy and Ragaini.

Purdy also isn't playing in a hostile environment for the first time ever...

The same can't be said for Iowa State.

Last edited:

IowaLoud

Jun 1, 2021
Iowa State has a proven 1st team All Conference player in Hutchinson on the outside. Milton is also a lot more experienced than Tracy and Ragaini.
Hutchinson and Milton are good, but Iowa has two good, proven corners. Hankins and Moss can go toe to toe with anyone, and they proved that last week. They shut down one of the best WR’s in the country and one of the better TE’s. I think Iowa can do that against ISU, but we will see on Saturday.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Can someone please explain to me Goodson's logic on saying this is ISU's Super Bowl.... when we have lost 5 in a row??

I wish we did look at it like our Super Bowl.... maybe we'd win once in a while. If anything, it's Iowa's Super Bowl since they are more up for it every year and win it all the time.

IowaLoud

Jun 1, 2021
Can someone please explain to me Goodson's logic on saying this is ISU's Super Bowl.... when we have lost 5 in a row??

I wish we did look at it like our Super Bowl.... maybe we'd win once in a while. If anything, it's Iowa's Super Bowl since they are more up for it every year and win it all the time.
He’s fishing for bites. Taking a page out of good ol CyTwins book.

Reactions: criticalobserver

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Hutchinson and Milton are good, but Iowa has two good, proven corners. Hankins and Moss can go toe to toe with anyone, and they proved that last week. They shut down one of the best WR’s in the country and one of the better TE’s. I think Iowa can do that against ISU, but we will see on Saturday.

You are missing my original point. It is Petras' first start in a true road game. He will be nervous. His first read more often than not is his tight end. Force him go to his second and third read with more inexperienced wide receivers timing could be an issue and Petras may throw a couple to Iowa State. Petras is most comfortable ripping it down the field to his tight end on his first read.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You are missing my original point. It is Petras' first start in a true road game. He will be nervous. His first read more often than not is his tight end. Force him go to his second and third read with more inexperienced wide receivers timing could be an issue and Petras may throw a couple to Iowa State. Petras is most comfortable ripping it down the field to his tight end on his first read.

Our DB's should be up in press coverage on their WR's and make it tough on Petras..... but most likely we'll play off about 10 yds as usual and allow him to make easy 5 yard completions dinking and dunking it on us.

• Dumb
Reactions: frackincygy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Didn't Iowa at times run a bit of junk yard defense? LBs and DL interchangeable and everyone in a two point/on their feet?

Any team should watch how OSU screwed up Manning and Purdy the last two seasons with that approach.

Of course the way to neutralize that is to have some quicker passes but Manning decided to go toe to toe with it.

Yeah the Raider, usually a 3rd down package when there's at least 7-8 yards to go. All four DL on their feet and moving around prior to the snap. Idea is to confuse OL so they don't know which guy is theirs to block.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Our DB's should be up in press coverage on their WR's and make it tough on Petras..... but most likely we'll play off about 10 yds as usual and allow him to make easy 5 yard completions dinking and dunking it on us.
I'll bet my house Petras won't beat the Cyclones dinking and dunking down the field 5 yards at a time for a 70+ yard drive.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
...The refs screwed you in 2019...
I dont remember the refs screwing us. I remember us beating Iowa in almost every facet except the score. ISU's post-game win expectancy (the probability that a team wins given the stats that were generated) was like 95%. I'll give Iowa credit that they won that game the way they win every game - keep it close, slow things down, and win by not screwing up. The Bill Snyder model.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I dont remember the refs screwing us. I remember us beating Iowa in almost every facet except the score. ISU's post-game win expectancy (the probability that a team wins given the stats that were generated) was like 95%. I'll give Iowa credit that they won that game the way they win every game - keep it close, slow things down, and win by not screwing up. The Bill Snyder model.

It is fascinating to hear ISU fan’s revisionist history of the 2019 game. The refs cost us the game, and now ISU beat Iowa in every facet except score, LOL. First of all scores are the only thing that matter. Also Iowa completely and utterly destroyed ISU in the special teams phase of the game. Iowa also won the turnover battle. So Iowa beat ISU convincingly in the single biggest facet of the game (turnovers) and dominate them in another big phase of the game (special teams). Oh and by the way they scored more points. LOL at looking at just total yards and thinking that tells the story of the game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is fascinating to hear ISU fan’s revisionist history of the 2019 game. The refs cost us the game, and now ISU beat Iowa in every facet except score, LOL. First of all scores are the only thing that matter. Also Iowa completely and utterly destroyed ISU in the special teams phase of the game. Iowa also won the turnover battle. So Iowa beat ISU convincingly in the single biggest facet of the game (turnovers) and dominate them in another big phase of the game (special teams). Oh and by the way they scored more points. LOL at looking at just total yards and thinking that tells the story of the game.

Not arguing, as ISU was flat sloppy in 2019. It was a sign of the season as they lost several games similarly..

But have you used this same perspective in years that ISU has won?

And, why not?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
From 247 article. Mevis had almost as many touchbacks in one season as ISU had in four seasons.

The words “powerful” and “weapon” have been used to describe Andrew Mevis, Iowa State’s transfer kicker from Fordham. Kickoffs were an issue for Iowa State last season. The Cyclones covered the most kickoffs in all of Division I college football last season with 56. Iowa State also had the third-fewest touchbacks in the Big 12 (10) and only trailed Kansas (8) and West Virginia (7). Enter Mevis, who took care of kickoffs and kicked 50 touchbacks on 63 kickoffs (79 percent) during the 2019 season with Fordham. To put that touchback number into perspective, Iowa State as a program kicked 61 total touchbacks during the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons, per the Big 12 official stats.

In the season opener, Mevis kicked three touchbacks on four opportunities. The one kick that didn’t result in a touchback was a directional kick to put the returner in a tough spot.

Additionally, Mevis will take care of Iowa State’s long field goal attempts, while Connor Assalley takes care of the shorter attempts.

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Not arguing, as ISU was flat sloppy in 2019. It was a sign of the season as they lost several games similarly..

But have you used this same perspective in years that ISU has won?

And, why not?

Of course when ISU has won the game it comes down to them doing several things better than Iowa. I mean there a lots of ways to win a football game. It doesn’t just come down to who had more yards. Turnovers is the single biggest factor in winning, explosive plays a big part as well. Which ironically really are the only things that kept ISU in the game with Iowa in 2019 (2 explosive plays for scores), but ultimately the poor special teams plays and turnovers sealed ISU fate in 2019.

• Winner
Reactions: 7Got6

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Of course when ISU has won the game it comes down to them doing several things better than Iowa. I mean there a lots of ways to win a football game. It doesn’t just come down to who had more yards. Turnovers is the single biggest factor in winning, explosive plays a big part as well. Which ironically really are the only things that kept ISU in the game with Iowa in 2019 (2 explosive plays for scores), but ultimately the poor special teams plays and turnovers sealed ISU fate in 2019.
Actually it comes down to only one thing.

Reactions: Legend Hawk