Is UConn the biggest loser in conference realignment?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Only a few years removed from a National Championship, hardly anyone in the arena. Hardly ever see them on TV anymore, and talks of Kevin Ollie’s seat getting warm.
I didn’t even know Edsall is their football coach again.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Big East teams that ended up in the American...

Connecticut
Cincinnati
South Florida

And the WAC teams that did not end up in the Mountain West...

Idaho
New Mexico State

...who are having problems staying in Division 1-A.

= the ones who ended up screwed

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Big East teams that ended up in the American...

Connecticut
Cincinnati
South Florida

And the WAC teams that did not end up in the Mountain West...

Idaho
New Mexico State

...who are having problems staying in Division 1-A.

= the ones who ended up screwed
I would say Cincy (b-ball) and USF (football) are still holding their own.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I wish they would go back to the old Big East. Syracuse and Boston College in the Acc is a joke.

Those programs like Cincy and Uconn having a football team really hurt them when it came to finding a basketball conference.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wish they would go back to the old Big East. Syracuse and Boston College in the Acc is a joke.

Those programs like Cincy and Uconn having a football team really hurt them when it came to finding a basketball conference.
I did think it was kinda cool that the Catholic 7 said enough is enough with football ruling college sports.
Crazy that Xavier and Cincy, being in the same city, basically swapped exposure.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I did think it was kinda cool that the Catholic 7 said enough is enough with football ruling college sports.
Crazy that Xavier and Cincy, being in the same city, basically swapped exposure.

Yeah, they seem to have a solid basketball conference going and I like them at 10 teams now.

These huge conference like the Acc really dilutes the talent and makes it hard to tell who the best teams are with unbalanced schedules.

I personally don't like the whole mega conference stuff, with the Big East and Big 12 their is no dispute where teams are in the standings since it's a round robin.

• Winner
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah, they seem to have a solid basketball conference going and I like them at 10 teams now.
And FS1 seems to be a great fit for them. If I don’t like the ESPN games, I can swap over and see a Seton Hall-Providence game, and it’s good.
Adding Butler, Xavier, and Creighton seems like a natural fit. I do kind of miss Creighton in he MVC but they are holding their own so far.
I didn’t know at the time if they’d reach out to St. Louis before Butler because of the Catholic thing.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Uconn is it's own worst enemy. The only time the mbb team was winning, was when they were cheating. Calhoun was a rotten slimy piece of work. Ollie's just not as good at it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wichita St doesn't have football either, it didn't stop then from joining that conference.
At one point WS said they wanted to bring football back, not sure if they sold the AAC on that idea or not. Navy looks to be the 12th football school there.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What about Creighton though? Nothing screams “Big East” like Omaha, NE

I still chuckle a little about teams geographically at odds in "regionally titled" leagues. It's especially fun w/ D-1 basketball.
* Atlantic 10: Saint Louis!
* Missouri Valley: Valpo
* WAC: Chicago State

Yes, there are realistic reasons why schools like that wound in regionally odd-fit conference. But it doesn't douse the amusement. :)