Is Tiger the #1 player now?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So with Tigers win this weekend, that pushes his win total to 3 this year. Before this week he was already up to #4. To me I just don't see how he can't push for it. Its still Luke, Rory and then Lee. Luke is not the #1 player in the world..sorry. He hasn't done anything and when it comes to the weekend in a major, he's usually no where around the top. Rory is doing ok but appears to be struggling with his swing. Lee is the only one in the top 5 that I see staying in front of him. He won across the pond a week before the US Open and has been playing pretty good golf this year. But, imo, with the wins Tiger has had this year and the way he contended for the US Open, I just don't see how he doesn't take over #1 in the world.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Golf rankings mean nothing.

I follow golf and was watching yesterday, but ranking players adds nothing to golf.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The world golf rankings aren't enough of a "what have you done lately for me" thing otherwise yes, he would be the #1 player in the world....again.

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
So with Tigers win this weekend, that pushes his win total to 3 this year. Before this week he was already up to #4. To me I just don't see how he can't push for it. Its still Luke, Rory and then Lee. Luke is not the #1 player in the world..sorry. He hasn't done anything and when it comes to the weekend in a major, he's usually no where around the top. Rory is doing ok but appears to be struggling with his swing. Lee is the only one in the top 5 that I see staying in front of him. He won across the pond a week before the US Open and has been playing pretty good golf this year. But, imo, with the wins Tiger has had this year and the way he contended for the US Open, I just don't see how he doesn't take over #1 in the world.

I don't know who I would put in front of him anymore. I'm a big fan of Luke Donald, so maybe just him because even though he hasn't won majors (and neither has Tiger this year), he's been consistent and working wonders with his putter yet again.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
What I read, Tiger is still ranked #4 in the world but is #1 in the FedEx Cup standings and #1 in the earnings list.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Tiger was putting this weekend like the old Tiger. If he's finally regained his mental edge, look out PGA Tour, we're about to see some domination again.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Tiger is the only guy to win three tourneys this year and no one did it last year. Hes better than any golfer out there right now, I don't care what the rankings say.

He is back - even though I doubt he ever regains his old form of domination. But he's back to being the best.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It pisses me off that he says he doesn't spend as much time any more on his short game as he tries to figure out his swing and still plays as well as he does.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'll put it this way. Let's have Luke and Tiger play each other on 11 different courses. Would anybody in the world not pick Tiger to win 6 of those?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
It pisses me off that he says he doesn't spend as much time any more on his short game as he tries to figure out his swing and still plays as well as he does.

I don't put stock in what Tiger says. He was a serial cheater. I just like to watch great golf.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Tiger is the only guy to win three tourneys this year and no one did it last year. Hes better than any golfer out there right now, I don't care what the rankings say.

He is back - even though I doubt he ever regains his old form of domination. But he's back to being the best.

Exactly. I know that rankings don't mean squat but why even have em when they don't tell you who the real #1 player is?! And there is no way in he** that Luke and Rory are better than Tiger right now.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Watching him play the 18th yesterday, it just felt like he was back.

If he had dropped that birdie putt, I'd 100% agree. I was surprised he didn't put another stroke between himself and Van Pelt on the 18th. Even so, I think he's about 90% back.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Does anyone know how the golf rankings work? I was thinking it was some kind of formula that decided the rankings, so I don't think anyone would disagree that Tiger is the best in the world but we're basing that off history and his streak lately. So the formula is doing it's job since it doesn't take history into account. If Dufner won this week would you say he is the obvious #1? That would put him at 3 wins this year.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Does anyone know how the golf rankings work? I was thinking it was some kind of formula that decided the rankings, so I don't think anyone would disagree that Tiger is the best in the world but we're basing that off history and his streak lately. So the formula is doing it's job since it doesn't take history into account. If Dufner won this week would you say he is the obvious #1? That would put him at 3 wins this year.

If that did happen then he be a lot higher than what he is.