Is this the start of the zombie apocalypse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Video confirmed by a reputable source? Or just some rando on Twitter/Reddit/YouTube? Sounds kinda sketchy.

not sure, but seemed legit to me. people lying in the street and guys with haz-mat suits checking on them. Did you see the video of the hospital with dead people laying in the hallway? Same video shows a guy in scrubs and white coat lying on the floor.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Maybe I’m alone, but I don’t get all worked up over these things. Could it get really bad? I guess thats a possibility, especially for the elderly and young children. But, if people are getting worried over this, how can they even sleep at night knowing the flu virus lurks right next to them every single day? The flu kills over half a million people worldwide every year, including more than 50,000 on the US.

Wash your hands often.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Maybe I’m alone, but I don’t get all worked up over these things. Could it get really bad? I guess thats a possibility, especially for the elderly and young children. But, if people are getting worried over this, how can they even sleep at night knowing the flu virus lurks right next to them every single day? The flu kills over half a million people worldwide every year, including more than 50,000 on the US.

Wash your hands often.
Your 50,000 number is towards the high end of the estimates. Here are the calculations from the CDC.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

But, this one has more of a feel like the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 to 1920. It killed more people than WWI. It infected 500 million people around the world, including people on remote Pacific islandsand in the Arctic. Probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million (three to five percent of Earth's population at the time) died, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Wash your hands often.

I think one concern is the flu often kills elderly, young, and those with pre-existing health issues. Some of the deaths here have potentially been people that seemed perfectly healthy before contracting the virus.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Your 50,000 number is towards the high end of the estimates. Here are the calculations from the CDC.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

But, this one has more of a feel like the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 to 1920. It killed more people than WWI. It infected 500 million people around the world, including people on remote Pacific islandsand in the Arctic. Probably 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million (three to five percent of Earth's population at the time) died, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history
Why am I not surprised that @NateTheBoss would find references to science "creative."

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The Spanish flu is estimated to have infected about a third of humanity, and killed about 10-20% of those infected. About 50-100M deaths.

But disease transmission was poorly understood, and there was no tylenol. That's why the risk is real, but we're a lot better prepared to prevent and fight it.

If you have ever had the proper flu and a fever of 103F, you understand how people died of flu before tylenol. I know I do!!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The Spanish flu is estimated to have infected about a third of humanity, and killed about 10-20% of those infected. About 50-100M deaths.

But disease transmission was poorly understood, and there was no tylenol. That's why the risk is real, but we're a lot better prepared to prevent and fight it.

If you have ever had the proper flu and a fever of 103F, you understand how people died of flu before tylenol. I know I do!!

Tens upon tens upon tens of millions of people with bad hygeine, bad sanitary conditions, crammed together overseas during the war, being exposed to a bug when they themselves are weak, stressed and at risk for infection... No modern medicine, limited vaccines, lack of knowledge of virus transmission, lack of global communication, first time for global travel for most of the world - I'll roll the bones with my Campbell's Soup strategy.

You don't want to be the first one to panic. But you NEVER want to be the last one to panic.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
It seems like the number of cases is climbing quite a bit faster than death count now. It's all very complex trying to piece together but if I was betting I'd say more widespread but less lethal in a given patient than SARS or MERS. Also seems very likely with it being pneumonia-like symptoms and a coronavirus to be much more dangerous for the sick or elderly than something like ebola or Spanish flu which is more equal risk for anybody.

• Informative
Reactions: salennon07

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
It seems like the number of cases is climbing quite a bit faster than death count now. It's all very complex trying to piece together but if I was betting I'd say more widespread but less lethal in a given patient than SARS or MERS. Also seems very likely with it being pneumonia-like symptoms and a coronavirus to be much more dangerous for the sick or elderly than something like ebola or Spanish flu which is more equal risk for anybody.
Viral pneumonia (like what this coronavirus can cause) is a lot scarier then bacterial pneumonia. If you have a bad case of bacterial pneumonia they throw you on some antibiotics and you start feeling better very quickly. With viral pneumonia, the best they can do is to put you on breathing machines and hope your body can fight it off.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.