Is this another "one and done" Kansas team?

Dad55Alumni

Jan 29, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Here is why some of you are wrong ... KU folds without Big 12 officials ... And more importantly they play shoddy when facing same sized skill set people. A good Big 10 team will tear them apart on a neutral court just like Michigan did last year.
KU went 3-0 against very good Ohio St. teams the last couple years. One of those games at home. Beat Duke nuetral court this year. 2-0 against UNC last two years in tourny on neutral courts. Their strength of schedule is lightyears above anyone else with the 4th youngest team in the nation out of 351.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
KU is a Final Four team and as of right now, looks like a National Title team.

Right now they do . . . but they will get their typical arrogant "no body can beat us" attitude after cruising through the 12 and 12 tourney. Besides, the mickeyds will have to "show their stuff" to position for $$$$.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Kansas is a national title contender. We have a solid team, and we were pretty much at their mercy for 30 minutes

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
They've had so many early outs over the years because they don't get the calls like they do in conf play. Look at their non-con record this year.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Kansas is going far in the tourney. The stuff about Self paying people I saw is stupid too. He's not Scott Drew or Calipari either. He can coach and recruit well. Doesn't always mean national title, but I'm positive he's a clean recruiter
Yeah. Its just silly. kansas runs a clean program, always has, always will.

This is the second time in 18 years that the Kansas basketball program has run afoul of the NCAA. Following its 1988 national championship under coach Larry Brown, the school was barred from postseason play because of illegal benefits given to players.

Kansas on probation for violations in men's hoops, football - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Allegations surrounding Kansas star McLemore will be tough for NCAA

Allegations surrounding Kansas star McLemore will be tough for NCAA - CBSSports.com

Read this whole thing:Cheating Kansas ~ Recorded for Posterity | Silk Roads and Siamese Smiles

KU wins its second national title of the modern era. They are the first team ever to win a championship while on probation for cheating

NCAA Probation and Division I College Basketball

School Probation Yrs Tourny Ban Yrs

Kansas 1956-57 1 - -
Kansas 1960-61 – 61-62 2 1961-62 2
Kansas 1972-73 1 1973 1
Kansas 1988-89 – 90-91 3 1989 1
Kansas 2006-07 – 08-09 3 - -

NCAA Probation and Division I College Basketball « SportsDelve.com

Yahoo! Sports published a detailed story early Wednesday that reports the operation in question made more than $800,000 for a high-ranking member of the KU athletic department and the father of a current member of the Jayhawks.

Yahoo! Sports: Kansas ticket scandal netted more than $800K

Go ku!

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think they're more likely to make the Final 4 than lose in the 3rd Round (2nd game), but if they play like they did in Hilton, they could easily lose early. They can have a bad shooting game, turn it over their typical amount, and lose. Also, Embiid has a tendency to get into foul trouble which could really hurt them.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
They've had so many early outs over the years because they don't get the calls like they do in conf play. Look at their non-con record this year.
I really wouldn't call sweet sixteens and elite eights early outs. Plus they did make the National Title in 2008.

ChampFantana

Jan 30, 2009

Since the turn of the century, KU has been a 2 seed or better eight times. They got to the Sweet 16 seven of those seasons and never lost in the First Round. In that same time period, ISU has gotten a 2 seed two times, making one Sweet 16 and once losing in the First Round.

Moral of the story: no one is immune to being upset in the Tournament.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I really wouldn't call sweet sixteens and elite eights early outs. Plus they did make the National Title in 2008.
They won the title in '08 and made it to the Championship game just 2 years ago. They've had their share of upsets also. Everybody has. Duke lost 1st round as a 2 seed a couple of years ago. K-State was co-Big 12 Champs and they lost 1st round last year. I'm sure there will be a ton of upsets this year and if KU misses shots and another team gets really hot they can get upset. That's why the NCAA tourney makes so much money.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I doubt they will be a 1 and done team as unpredictable as the NCAA tournament is. Last year only one #1 and two #2 seeds made it to the elite 8. The way the are playing now I'd have them going to the Final 4 and take them over Arizona or Syracuse right now. They have all the weapons. If Embiid and Wiggins keep improving at the rate they're going without any glitches, I don't see them getting beat. And to think those two are freshman and Embiid didn't start playing until he was 16. Some comparisons to Hakeem Olajuwon already.

Last edited:

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
If I had a bracket right now, they would be my NC pick. And they are going to get better. Self always has them playing their best ball in March.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I actually think Kansas is the best team in the country. Their only weakness is they rely on talent and not discipline sometimes.....i.e. turnovers.

Embiid/Ellis are monsters. Wiggins is long and can shoot/slash. Their guards are doing what is asked of them. They have depth......this team is legit.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah. Its just silly. kansas runs a clean program, always has, always will.

This is the second time in 18 years that the Kansas basketball program has run afoul of the NCAA. Following its 1988 national championship under coach Larry Brown, the school was barred from postseason play because of illegal benefits given to players.

Kansas on probation for violations in men's hoops, football - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Allegations surrounding Kansas star McLemore will be tough for NCAA

Allegations surrounding Kansas star McLemore will be tough for NCAA - CBSSports.com

Read this whole thing:Cheating Kansas ~ Recorded for Posterity | Silk Roads and Siamese Smiles

KU wins its second national title of the modern era. They are the first team ever to win a championship while on probation for cheating

NCAA Probation and Division I College Basketball

School Probation Yrs Tourny Ban Yrs

Kansas 1956-57 1 - -
Kansas 1960-61 – 61-62 2 1961-62 2
Kansas 1972-73 1 1973 1
Kansas 1988-89 – 90-91 3 1989 1
Kansas 2006-07 – 08-09 3 - -

NCAA Probation and Division I College Basketball « SportsDelve.com

Yahoo! Sports published a detailed story early Wednesday that reports the operation in question made more than $800,000 for a high-ranking member of the KU athletic department and the father of a current member of the Jayhawks.

Yahoo! Sports: Kansas ticket scandal netted more than $800K

Go ku!

Yes indeed!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They will be eliminated no earlier than the Sweet 16. Final 4 team, at least as far as potential goes.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
The Big12 looks bad anyhow. It is a joke how much the ku favoritism shows up on the court. I thought I disliked ku before, and then I lived in KC for a couple years. Holy cow. Combine the worst from Iowa, Nebraska football, and Ohio State fans, and that is about your average ku basketball fan. Seemingly decent people turn into raving lunatics when the subject of ku basketball comes up.

On a side note, odds are still against ku winning the NCAA tourney this year. How do we know? They don't have any fathers of players on staff as good luck charms.

Or Mothers - don't forget that Thomas Robertson's mother was an "admin" in the basketball offices. Why is there no NCAA investigation into that and the Manning situation?

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I actually think Kansas is the best team in the country. Their only weakness is they rely on talent and not discipline sometimes.....i.e. turnovers.

Embiid/Ellis are monsters. Wiggins is long and can shoot/slash. Their guards are doing what is asked of them. They have depth......this team is legit.

Several of the NBA mock drafts have Embiid the overall #1 lottery draft pick and Wiggins either #1 #2 or #3 pick. Perry Ellis and Wayne Seldon (Both McDonald's All-American freshman on Kansas along with Wiggins) will go late 1st round. No other college basketball has this type of talent and that many 1st round picks going to the NBA since North Carolina two years ago with Barnes, Kendall Marshall, John Henson and Tyler Zeller.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron