Is there anything worth watching on Apple TV?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
"Morning Show" is a good watch for original content, and I'm interested in "Dickenson." You can see reruns of "The State" and it's amazing. I'm curious about "See" because I love Jason Momoa, but haven't gotten a good read on it.

"The Beastie Boys Story" is pretty good if you've already read their book. It's a little self-congratulatory, but good.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Loved Servant. So crazy weird and great cast. Season 2 is coming so they won’t leave you hanging.

Liked Defending Jacob a lot but was not thrilled with the end. I guess life is like that sometimes.

Truth Be Told was really good too. Has Aaron Paul in it and he does a fantastic job as does the rest of the cast.

Really wish Amazing Stories would have been better. Nostalgia brought me to the table but it was mostly meh.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"Morning Show" is a good watch for original content, and I'm interested in "Dickenson." You can see reruns of "The State" and it's amazing. I'm curious about "See" because I love Jason Momoa, but haven't gotten a good read on it.

"The Beastie Boys Story" is pretty good if you've already read their book. It's a little self-congratulatory, but good.

im going to give See another chance but those first couple episodes just felt off.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The Foundation series is getting a TV adaption on Apple TV that is supposed to come out next year.
Looks visually stunning. Really like Lee Pace as well. Hopefully it’s good.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Central Park is OK. The musical numbers are really well done, but the story is "meh." This week was a re-teaming of Josh Gad and Andrew Rannells from the original Broadway cast of The Book of Mormon.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I liked For All Mankind. The idea is what if the Soviet N1 rockets had not exploded? Pay attention to the background politics, which are very interesting. For example, Ted Kennedy is prevented from having a weekend at Chappaquiddick, and it all spirals from there.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Foundation series is getting a TV adaption on Apple TV that is supposed to come out next year.

As a big sci fi guy, I'm actually pretty worried about this - I just don't think the story is very conducive to the screen. I hope they don't try to keep it too close to the books, that's just basically impossible.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I liked For All Mankind. The idea is what if the Soviet N1 rockets had not exploded? Pay attention to the background politics, which are very interesting. For example, Ted Kennedy is prevented from having a weekend at Chappaquiddick, and it all spirals from there.

Agree. The premise was fascinating but the actual show was a little slow. Still cool to see their theory of how different things may have been.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Someone define "free" one year subscription.

I got new Mac in February and the one year Apple TV thing (also CBS all access from another source).

If I go to either, everything has a price on it.

Did they mean I'm "free" to buy these things?

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Someone define "free" one year subscription.

I got new Mac in February and the one year Apple TV thing (also CBS all access from another source).

If I go to either, everything has a price on it.

Did they mean I'm "free" to buy these things?
Only the Apple original content is free. They pull in programming from numerous other sources, but your access is dependent on whether you are subscribed to THAT paid content, or not. It's a confusing model for sure.

Truth Be Told is the only series I could get through up to now. Great casting but pretty cheesy execution, TBH.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Only the Apple original content is free. They pull in programming from numerous other sources, but your access is dependent on whether you are subscribed to THAT paid content, or not. It's a confusing model for sure.

Truth Be Told is the only series I could get through up to now. Great casting but pretty cheesy execution, TBH.
One interesting aspect about Apple TV I'd like to add is that let's say you subscribe to Amazon Prime and HBO Max, as we do. And suppose that you regularly watch certain programming on those services. You can add that programming to your Apple TV home page and it will alert you when new episodes are available. So in that respect it acts as a hub for your other subscriptions and makes a decent home base to choose fresh programming that you are currently consuming. I'm not sure if that is unique to Apple TV or not, but it is sorta handy.