Is Pollard a serious candidate for the Neb Ad job

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
He would be foolish not to make this move if offered the position. He's gotten 3 chances to hire the right guy for football here, if the current regime doesnt work out its hard to imagine he would get a 4th, especially considering he couldnt retain Fred and wrestling is such a dumpster fire. He would get a substantial pay increase at NU, he would be working for the best run conference in America, and he would still get the chance to stick it to Iowa.
You probably should keep your troll in the In-State Forum if you want to stick around. JP's response was quick.
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_c4c9c888-9f1a-11e7-8828-1b8e7fee2aa7.html

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He would be foolish not to make this move if offered the position. He's gotten 3 chances to hire the right guy for football here, if the current regime doesnt work out its hard to imagine he would get a 4th, especially considering he couldnt retain Fred and wrestling is such a dumpster fire. He would get a substantial pay increase at NU, he would be working for the best run conference in America, and he would still get the chance to stick it to Iowa.

You're so bad at this

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Why that program is a mess and has been for years. They had to bring Tomm O back to try to fix the mess last time they were down and I'm not sure he even got the job done and may have made it worse. If you take that job you have Tom looking over your shoulder and a fan base that thinks they can win National titles in football. How many ADs has Neb been through in Pollards time in Ames? You rip on Pollard for having bad football hires, they haven't made a good football hire since 1973 and have had as many coaches as ISU over the last 20 years.

People love to rip Pollard for some of his hires, if you look back at when the hires were made they were the right way to go and really good hires at the time. The ISU football job is hard, one of the hardest in the country. We are damn lucky CMC is our coach now. If Fred was the AD and basketball coach and the Bulls came calling he would have left. Its the ******* NBA and the Bulls, if you want to coach in the NBA, and hate coaching in college, you take that job. As for wrestling yes it is a mess but it seems the right hire is made this time. While Douglas has as good of resume as anyone, he just didn't fit in college wrestling.

Yes Pollard has his short comings, but he has done more with less than any AD in the country. He fixed an athletic program that had been a mess for years on and off the field. He also has improved the sports complexes so much. After everything he has done for ISU, I really don't think you can let the guy go over some hires that didn't work out. While in most situations that isn't the way it should be this is a unique and weird situation.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
  • Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
....A lot of Husker fans are saying the move to the big ten has destroyed both the Nebraska footprint in Recruiting and also the Nebraska Winning Culture.
Its really hard to disagree with that notion........

The Big10 may have changed their recruiting footprint but remind your Husker fans about their past use of partial qualifiers. This, along with poor choices with coaching staffs, is the reason their winning culture is a thing of the past.

Cyliam

Sep 4, 2017
Why that program is a mess and has been for years. They had to bring Tomm O back to try to fix the mess last time they were down and I'm not sure he even got the job done and may have made it worse. If you take that job you have Tom looking over your shoulder and a fan base that thinks they can win National titles in football. How many ADs has Neb been through in Pollards time in Ames? You rip on Pollard for having bad football hires, they haven't made a good football hire since 1973 and have had as many coaches as ISU over the last 20 years.

People love to rip Pollard for some of his hires, if you look back at when the hires were made they were the right way to go and really good hires at the time. The ISU football job is hard, one of the hardest in the country. We are damn lucky CMC is our coach now. If Fred was the AD and basketball coach and the Bulls came calling he would have left. Its the ******* NBA and the Bulls, if you want to coach in the NBA, and hate coaching in college, you take that job. As for wrestling yes it is a mess but it seems the right hire is made this time. While Douglas has as good of resume as anyone, he just didn't fit in college wrestling.

Yes Pollard has his short comings, but he has done more with less than any AD in the country. He fixed an athletic program that had been a mess for years on and off the field. He also has improved the sports complexes so much. After everything he has done for ISU, I really don't think you can let the guy go over some hires that didn't work out. While in most situations that isn't the way it should be this is a unique and weird situation.

Your last paragraph is why he's foolish if he doesn't go. For all of thier problems, and they certainly have them, NU has resources our athletic department could only dream of.

It's kinda like HS. You have this girlfriend, and she's nice, and she treats you well because her last boyfriend was abusive so its not like you are unhappy. But then the fair queen from Polk county breaks it off with her guy and she asks you to come hang out with her in her basement cause her parents are out of town and she gets scared staying in the house alone. One kind of guy netflix and chills with the Polk county fair queen and one type takes Cassie to good old Hickory Park.

• Creative
Reactions: Scott34

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
the only way JP ever leaves is if it is for the perfect job (Wisconsin) not a rebuilding job like nebraska. JP has to many things tieing him down her imo.

I wanted to respond to this, and a few other posts, that suggest Pollard's dream/perfect job is Wisconsin. I used to be of this mindset as well, but I'm not so sure.

Maybe 5-6 years ago I heard Pollard speak to a relatively small and non-public group about building culture in an organization. This wasn't about athletics specifically, but of course he related a lot of it back to the ISU athletic department and what he was trying to accomplish there.

I don't remember much of the talk, but one thing really struck me. He talked in surprisingly explicit terms about Wisconsin and how the culture suffered there because they forgot who they were. I don't recall him describing anything specific, but these comments weren't made in passing; he stayed on this topic for a minute or two. I remember thinking at the time how candid he was being and how something big must have happened while he was there to sour his opinion on a place that was so critical to his career. The comments were very striking at the time.

As I said, that was years ago and certainly relationships can mend. Time heals a lot of wounds and big contact offers heal even more. But I used to think, like most, that someday we would lose him to Wisconsin. But I walked away from that talk thinking that if we ever lost him, it wouldn't be to them.

What that means for Nebraska, I have no idea. But with all the Wisconsin talk I wanted to offer that thought.

• Useful
Reactions: aauummm

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

Firing Pollard is a comical thought. It could be argued that he's the greatest thing to ever happen Iowa State.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Your last paragraph is why he's foolish if he doesn't go. For all of thier problems, and they certainly have them, NU has resources our athletic department could only dream of.

It's kinda like HS. You have this girlfriend, and she's nice, and she treats you well because her last boyfriend was abusive so its not like you are unhappy. But then the fair queen from Polk county breaks it off with her guy and she asks you to come hang out with her in her basement cause her parents are out of town and she gets scared staying in the house alone. One kind of guy netflix and chills with the Polk county fair queen and one type takes Cassie to good old Hickory Park.

Nobody is interested in hearing about your high school problems.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron