Is Next Year’s Team Honestly Going To Be Any Good?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Talley with a 3 point shot would be a poor man's Nader.

I actually think he's more fluid in the lane than Nader.

And that little floater is pretty great.

He's almost like a less explosive Burton as in it's tricky to figure out where he'd fit best, but maybe a utility role is his best bet.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jackson is nice to have as that ace free throw shooter that you can use to close out games. Matt Thomas did the same thing the two years before this one.

That is something the team collectively needs to work on...

View attachment 53544

I am surprised teams do not hack Lard more. That number up there should be embarrassing for Lindell Wigginton, but I hope he works on it.

He would have scored 36 more points if he shot at Jackson's rate. He has 392 points for the year. Moving up to 428 would probably feel pretty nice. He has 212 points in conference. If he shot at Jackson's rate, he would have 16 more points, good for 228 total.

He would go from #8 in the conference...

View attachment 53546

To something like #4 or #5.

A crunch-time lineup of Wiggi, Babb, Talley, Shayok, and maybe Solomon (to give you one big and a decent free throw shooter) should be okay.

That gives you four good ball-handlers.

Shayok was 80% from the line his last year at UVA.

Lindell seems to be a scorer, not a shooter type, if that ever makes sense.

No idea what the actual percentage is but it seems like he hits shots more often when he's catching a pass for a quick shot in rhythm vs. having time to full set up.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lindell seems to be a scorer, not a shooter type, if that ever makes sense.

No idea what the actual percentage is but it seems like he hits shots more often when he's catching a pass for a quick shot in rhythm vs. having time to full set up.

He has a higher 3% than Naz as a senior in the Big 12.

The kid can shoot, which makes his low FT% rather odd.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He has a higher 3% than Naz as a senior in the Big 12.

The kid can shoot, which makes his low FT% rather odd.

I was talking 3s when he's wide open vs. 3s when he's catching in rhythm or even being guarded...wonder if he makes more than the other.

A scoring/shooting guard having a low % is kind of a head scratcher in general, really. From his body language while shooting them he looks like it's definitely something he's trying to fix.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As did sophomore and junior Naz.

I think the point stands --

The kid is an elite shooter as a true freshman.

That was not something we were necessarily expecting with him.

Wigginton is basically Curtis Stinson with an outside shot.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I was talking 3s when he's wide open vs. 3s when he's catching in rhythm or even being guarded...wonder if he makes more than the other.

A scoring/shooting guard having a low % is kind of a head scratcher in general, really. From his body language while shooting them he looks like it's definitely something he's trying to fix.
I know where you're coming from. There are times he catches in rhythm his feet hit in perfectly as he catches the ball and he pops straight up without a second guess, when he is in that motion I 100% believe it is going in. Compared to the ones where he is dribbling, not getting anywhere, pulls it back to get some room, then pulls up. Although, that can be said about alot of players. I agree with you though, it just seems more confident (and consistent) when he catches and shoots without much thought. Certainly is more confident, however, not sure the stats back it up.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He’s more fluid but he’s not better.
Nader is better.
But the initial comment was if Talley had a 3 point shot, he’d be a poor man’s Nader. If Talley has a 3P shot he’s just as good as Nader.

Nader struggled some in his first Big 12 year, too. He was a career 27% 3P shooter on 280 attempts prior to his senior year, and was terribly inefficient. Although the audacity to take some of those shots was also why he made plays.

If we figure out how to use fully utilize Talley he should be a significant contributor. With a 3 point shot he’s a starter imo.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Talley developing a 3 pointer would be great, but I kind of like him for what he is. Sometimes you see natural slashers fall in love with the 3, taking away their aggressiveness. I'd much rather he keep attacking the rim and polishing his mid-range game than settling for 3s.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Nader is better.
But the initial comment was if Talley had a 3 point shot, he’d be a poor man’s Nader. If Talley has a 3P shot he’s just as good as Nader.

Nader struggled some in his first Big 12 year, too. He was a career 27% 3P shooter on 280 attempts prior to his senior year, and was terribly inefficient. Although the audacity to take some of those shots was also why he made plays.

If we figure out how to use fully utilize Talley he should be a significant contributor. With a 3 point shot he’s a starter imo.

Everyone needs to slow their rolls. Bi-polar disorder is tough I know but let’s try to keep some semblance of sanity please.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nader had/has an NBA body. Talley probably has a better handle and is a little quicker guarding smaller guards. But Nader has proven he is an NBA player. Zoran still has to prove he can start on a winning Big 12 team.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Nader had/has an NBA body. Talley probably has a better handle and is a little quicker guarding smaller guards. But Nader has proven he is an NBA player. Zoran still has to prove he can start on a winning Big 12 team.

I’m super high on Talley but the Nader talk threw me over the edge. I’m hopeful Talley can be a really good 6th or 7th man for ISU not an NBA draft pick.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Talley developing a 3 pointer would be great, but I kind of like him for what he is. Sometimes you see natural slashers fall in love with the 3, taking away their aggressiveness. I'd much rather he keep attacking the rim and polishing his mid-range game than settling for 3s.
A true slasher will hit an occasional three simply to draw the defender out enough to get room to drive by. I love players who put you in the damned if you do, damned if you don't position when trying to defend. Talley adding a trey to his arsenal would put him on his way to that.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Everyone needs to slow their rolls. Bi-polar disorder is tough I know but let’s try to keep some semblance of sanity please.
I know you’re apt at revisionist history, but do you understand hypotheticals? I think your Emo makeup may be getting in your eyes and making it tough for you to read.

If Talley is a good 3P shooter next year he’s as good as Nader. I don’t see that happening though.

Is Chris Babb better than Clyburn, Kane, or Ejim because he played in the NBA?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I don't think they're even that comparable just in terms of what they bring to the game and their styles of play. Talley's a lengthy wing who can defend multiple positions, handle the ball a little bit, and give you a little scoring here and there. Nader, by his senior season, was a bull in a china shop going to the rim and he was capable of absolutely going off any given game. I don't see Talley ever being quite as physical or explosive as Nader. Doesn't mean he can't be a major asset next year, expecially if he can develop a reliable outside shot. I just don't see much similarity between the two players.

• Useful
Reactions: armount