Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not going to vote, but I'd say yes if Denver can find a way to a win a title this year or in the near future with him still on the roster playing an active role

What does his pro career have to do with his time as a Cyclone?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You're forgiven. Royce indeed was a special player. We nearly beat the eventual National champ Kentucky and Unibrow, in the tourney, with great game by Royce.

I love Royce, but we lost by 16 and the game wasn't particularly close throughout.

Reactions: isutrevman

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I love Royce, but we lost by 16 and the game wasn't particularly close throughout.
Ha ha, maybe wishful remembering on my part. I do remember him doing his fast break guard-thing and dunking on 'em a time or two. Got me pumped!

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
That was a really good one, too.

I remember Dodie Dunson left us to go to Vincennes University, and they had something like a 28-win season that year with him. I think he coaches now? A lot of really good players (who had varying degrees of success elsewhere) left us from about 2005-2010.
How about the big Ham? He was another that left under MCD that had a decent run.

isufrEEk

Apr 14, 2006
But terrible defense.

Oh, yeah, he was All Conference Defensive team all 4 years at ISU.
I remember Don Nelson picked him for the Olympic team because of his defense.

I also think he was playing against tougher competition than Fizer. The other players on the all Big 8 first team for Grayer's senior year was Danny Manning, Harvey Grant, Mitch Richmond, and Derrick Chievious - 42 years in NBA. For Fizer, it was Chris Mihm, Desmond Mason, Eduardo Najera, and Jaquay Wells - 31 years in the NBA.

The NCAA championship game in 1988 was Kansas vs Oklahoma.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How about the big Ham? He was another that left under MCD that had a decent run.

I legitimately forgot about him! Wasn't he the guy who ate 30 PB&Js a day to gain weight?!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Fred made a brilliant decision to look at his all big 12 senior bulldog point guard...and go ahead and play a skinny freshman pure point guard right next to him. It's not like monte was Thomas where you thought pairing a sharp shooter with Kane. It was two pure point guards playing a ton of minutes together.

Maybe not the obvious thing, but the smart thing.

Interesting to see how much Malone was doing the same for extended minutes last night with Morris and Murray playing together rather than just one or the other. Monte was aggressive going to the hole last night. If his 3ball was a bit more consistent he would see more time beside Murray on the floor.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
no way can we consider Monte as the greatest in cyclone uniform. Pro maybe, but not as Cyclone. He couldn't beat teams in the NCAA tournament and he never won a regular season conference title. Tinsley did it twice, one with Fizer and one without. So I'm going with Tinsley, Plus, he got us the closest to the final 4.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Hornacek had the best NBA career. Grayer was the best Cyclone ever during the years he was in Ames.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I absolutely loved Fizer but I think how huge of a bust he was in the NBA diminished the memories for some. Similar to Troy Davis and Royce White - they are all legends, but don’t always get talked about with the same respect by many because of the bitter aftertaste of their pro letdowns. I don’t think it should be that way, but I think to some it is that way.
Fizer had Tinsley.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He would be the first champion Iowa State has produced in the NBA. That would be worthy of crowning him i think

What if someone had a lackluster career at ISU but was a late bloomer who wound up as a 15 minutes/game or less type of player in the league on a team that won a title?

Perhaps if they led a team to a title after a really good career at ISU.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Stevens, Grayer, and Hornacek put Iowa State on the map. Travesty that none of the three made your poll.

H

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What if someone had a lackluster career at ISU but was a late bloomer who wound up as a 15 minutes/game or less type of player in the league on a team that won a title?

Perhaps if they led a team to a title after a really good career at ISU.
You're not wrong. I probably overvalue what he has done in the league so far. Has been looking really good in this Lakers series though, and earning more minutes