Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Georges

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Other

Votes: 17 17.3%

• Total voters

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Thing is we remember Fizer's greatest moments that were really definitive like the dunks over people and flat out dominating a game.

Monte would have incredible stats but you'd barely notice. I don't recall really all that many 'highlight' type of plays from Monte and there weren't very many games where you noticed all of his assists.

Agree with this. I noticed when watching some replays recently how good Monte was, but when it was happening, there were so many other players out there. I remember three games/moments where I was most impressed with Monte.

In the Sweet 16 against UConn his freshman year, he played 37 minutes, scored 12 points, and defended Napier better than anyone in that tournament.

At KU his senior year, he hit some huge shots, including a late three to take the lead and then the stepback in the corner on the first possession of OT that instantly put us on the attack.

Big 12 tournament championship his senior year, he scored on our last three possessions of the first half, including an impossible turnaround fadeaway with the shot clock expiring.

It's cliche, but he's a winner.

For my money, Fizer was the GOAT, but I didn't see anyone before the Hoiberg (player) teams.

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
That's
Fizer
Grayer
Tinsley
Fred
Georges
Monte
Stevens
That's not bad. I'd put Georges ahead of Fred due to the way the offense flowed through him. I'd have Hornacek just ahead of Barry, I think (I got to see them both play) because he did more things for the team and made others better. God, Barry was electric though and would've thrived in today's game.

Unless I missed it, there hasn't been that much talk of Brackins in this thread. I didn't get to see him much but he was a 1st-rounder.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
And run at the Drake Relays? Lafester might be the Greatest of Everything!
Including greatest shooter without any backspin and loudest talker.

When he was a freshman, I had NO idea he'd end up as an impact player. I thought he'd be a bust.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Monté might seamlessly drop into any ISU lineup throughout history compared to the others.

He is/was the Point God. Dat A:T ratio. He'd get whoever your go-to scorer is a lot of good looks.

Even if you already have another PG around (e.g., Tinsley), then having Monté still gives you a 40% three-point shooter, a guy who can create his own shot, and a passable defender. You can also slide the other PG into the SG spot if you feel that is an optimal lineup relative to making Morris play off the ball -- combos are useful.

Monté did not/would not need to be crazy high usage to be useful. Fizer and Georges would.

Reactions: clone2003

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Who is the best basketball player who transferred out? Probably Wesley Johnson?
Johnson is really the only one I can think of that made a name for himself after transferring. I guess Clayton Custer had his moment.

It kind of makes me think of the GOAT transfers. I'd go White or Kane.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
That's

That's not bad. I'd put Georges ahead of Fred due to the way the offense flowed through him. I'd have Hornacek just ahead of Barry, I think (I got to see them both play) because he did more things for the team and made others better. God, Barry was electric though and would've thrived in today's game.

Unless I missed it, there hasn't been that much talk of Brackins in this thread. I didn't get to see him much but he was a 1st-rounder.

Brackins had an awesome performance against KU 1 on 5. I think he had 28 in the first half. We ended up getting blown out I think. Man, that was a rough patch for ISU basketball.

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
That's

He was a good player, but his teams were bad. IMO you really make your legacy in CBB by doing something in March. If I had to rank him, he'd be borderline top 10 player.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Who is the best basketball player who transferred out? Probably Wesley Johnson?
Yeah I think that one is a no doubter.

An under the radar transfer was Taggart, a good player on an incredible Memphis team.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah I think that one is a no doubter.

An under the radar transfer was Taggart, a good player on an incredible Memphis team.

That was a really good one, too.

I remember Dodie Dunson left us to go to Vincennes University, and they had something like a 28-win season that year with him. I think he coaches now? A lot of really good players (who had varying degrees of success elsewhere) left us from about 2005-2010.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That was a really good one, too.

I remember Dodie Dunson left us to go to Vincennes University, and they had something like a 28-win season that year with him. I think he coaches now? A lot of really good players (who had varying degrees of success elsewhere) left us from about 2005-2010.
You know who was right in your timeline? Mike Taylor.
(although he didn't "leave" he was kinda "booted")

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You know who was right in your timeline? Mike Taylor.
(although he didn't "leave" he was kinda "booted")

I loved Mike Taylor. That game at MN when he just went off? It was magical. It is really too bad his downfall at ISU can be traced back to cough syrup.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not going to vote, but I'd say yes if Denver can find a way to a win a title this year or in the near future with him still on the roster playing an active role

Reactions: clone2003

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My bad for excluding Royce. I'd slide him in after Fred.
You're forgiven. Royce indeed was a special player. We nearly beat the eventual National champ Kentucky and Unibrow, in the tourney, with great game by Royce.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron