Is Kinnick too big of a stadium for Iowa or do Iowa fans just really suck?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
I amazed at the amount of "die-hard" fans that have all of a sudden come out of the woodwork on facebook, yet are unable to name a player not named Tim Dwight.

I am also amazed at the number of "die-hard" neighbors that I see out mowing the lawn, cleaning their garage or walking their dog during Iowa football games.

hahaha oh, this is good. Yeah, ISU didnt have ANY of that happen with their basketball program. None at all....

Look, good brands attract fringe fans. It happens everywhere. Im sorry, outside of a great run in basketball, that your university can attract anyone other than a die hard.

Of all the **** ISU flips Iowa, this making fun of the "tavern hawks", fringe/band wagon fans, is the weakest, and its not even close. Its called having a viable brand. You cant answer me, with a straight face, that you wouldnt want something similar for your brand.

You guys need to find a new tune to sing. That is some weak sauce.

Last edited:

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
Depends what you consider "worlds better". ISU is a solid 9.5 out of 10 on the tailgating scale where Iowa is probably near the 3 or 4 out of 10 range now

Haha holy crap, ok, so we are just making up numbers? What pole did you snag those solid-as-a-rock numbers from? Good grief.

Cytwins, you have to realize something, just because you say something is, doesnt make it so. I know this is a clone message board, but c'mon....

I believe Iowa State has one of the worst football programs known to mankind, while Iowa's program is probably an 8 or a 9 on the legacy scale. See how easy that is?

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
#7 = "great"
#12 = "mediocre"

You're letting that hatemonster get the better of you again. Pill time.

Iowa is having a great year but they still were ranked for the first time in like 5 years this season where ISU has been a top 25 team for quite a while now

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
hahaha oh, this is good. Yeah, ISU didnt have ANY of that with there basketball program.

Look, good brands attract fringe fans. It happens everywhere. Im sorry, outside of a great run in basketball, that your university can attract anyone other than a die hard.

Of all the **** ISU flips Iowa, this making fun of the "tavern hawks", fringe/band wagon fans, is the weakest, and its not even close. Its called having a viable brand. You cant answer me, with a straight face, that you wouldnt want something similar for your brand.

You guys need to find a new tune to sing. That is some weak sauce.

We don't want any tavern clone fans. If you didn't graduate from ISU, or aren't the sibling of an ISU alumn, we don't need you.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Haha holy crap, ok, so we are just making up numbers? What pole did you snag those solid-as-a-rock numbers from? Good grief.

Cytwins, you have to realize something, just because you say something is, doesnt make it so. I know this is a clone message board, but c'mon....

I believe Iowa State has one of the worst football programs known to mankind, while Iowa's program is probably an 8 or a 9 on the legacy scale. See how easy that is?

You're doing it wrong. He knows Iowa tailgating is equally if not more fantastic. He's seen all the rankings.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa is having a great year but they still were ranked for the first time in like 5 years this season where ISU has been a top 25 team for quite a while now

Got it. Makes perfect sense to put them in the same "great" category as Iowa wrestling. My mistake.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Wow, that's a pretty dumb and inaccurate statement

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
Wow, that's a pretty dumb and inaccurate statement

According to whom? Me? Well, see, with you, apparently you dont need any accountability or proof of one's reasoning and assessment. So how is it dumb? Prove it to me. NFL draft picks, multiple B1G 10 titles, HOFers, BCS bowls...

Again, see how easy this is?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
According to whom? Me? Well, see, with you, apparently you dont need any accountability or proof of one's reasoning and assessment. So how is it dumb? Prove it to me. NFL draft picks, multiple B1G 10 titles, HOFers, BCS bowls...

Again, see how easy this is?

I'm not just making stuff up though. Everyone knows ISU's tailgating is much better than Iowa's. Nobody thinks Iowa is a top 10 program

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
So if tailgating is so great in Iowa City, why aren't they filling up their stadium with their undefeated team? Do they tailgate and leave?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Oh cmon, undeniably better. Its different. You guys party in a field, we party in neighborhoods. Its different. The times ive heard ISU fans complain, its always the same- we had to walk a ways to get somewhere. Oh boo hoo, its not that bad. Ive tailgated plenty at ISU, and sometimes I had to walk a ways to get to where I was going.

Having said that, I will agree that Iowa's tailgating wasnt what it used to be, but its not that ​bad, and its not like ISU's is worlds better, either.

I've tailgated at both and every time at Kinnick, I wasn't wearing ISU attire. I didn't care for Kinnick's, mostly because it was a disjointed mess. Numerous areas, all separated, some away from the stadium, the parking ramp, various fields, and houses. While some of the parties were fun in those areas, it's not really one of the big connected party across the lots.

As for the house parties, even if you're not wearing visiting teams, most people don't want to be "that guy" and invade a seemingly private party. In a tailgating lot, they're generally more open and easier to talk to people. If I show up to a house and not know anyone, I'm going to feel like a jackarse. The last time we did that was at college off-campus parties.

I agree that the after-game fun at the Ped Mall blew away Campustown, however I would pick tailgating at ISU every time over Iowa.

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
I'm not just making stuff up though. Everyone knows ISU's tailgating is much better than Iowa's. Nobody thinks Iowa is a top 10 program

"everyone knows". Good lord, you just cant help yourself. No, everyone doesnt know.

Look, I clearly dont believe the Iowa top 10 program thing. I was saying that to prove a point. You take things that are 1000% opinion, but then spin them, and present it in a way where its some proven fact. And its not. Theres nothing wrong with saying "Iowa state has a good tailgating scene", cause they do. However, you take it ten steps further and say "Iowa state has a 9.5 out of 10 tailgate scene, and Iowas is at a 3 or a 4". Do you see how ridiculous that is?

I have zero problem with you preferring ISU's to Iowa's. I expect that. But with you, theres no middle ground. Its always ISUs is the best ever, and Iowas is terrible.

Last edited:

khawk4

Jun 23, 2014
I've tailgated at both and every time at Kinnick, I wasn't wearing ISU attire. I didn't care for Kinnick's, mostly because it was a disjointed mess. Numerous areas, all separated, some away from the stadium, the parking ramp, various fields, and houses. While some of the parties were fun in those areas, it's not really one of the big connected party across the lots.

As for the house parties, even if you're not wearing visiting teams, most people don't want to be "that guy" and invade a seemingly private party. In a tailgating lot, they're generally more open and easier to talk to people. If I show up to a house and not know anyone, I'm going to feel like a jackarse. The last time we did that was at college off-campus parties.

I agree that the after-game fun at the Ped Mall blew away Campustown, however I would pick tailgating at ISU every time over Iowa.

Fair enough, and thats completely fine. As I said earlier, they are just two very, very different scenes. It doesnt necessarily mean ones better than the other. I personally have no problem with Iowa's scene. I konw what you mean about things being spread out, however, I have never found that to be too much of an issue. Like I said, Ive had to walk a long ways at a tailgate in Ames, too.