What's the problem with offense besides Tom Manning?

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
ISU has a budget and we are not going to be able to afford a NFL QB coach. That is why college football is an amatuer league.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
My only concerns with the offense are:
1. Not trying to establish the running game in a consistent manner
2. Slow developing running plays when we do decide to run the ball
3. Slow developing route trees that don't appear to compliment each other
Those things are all coaching dependent. A well-coached offense should be able to run the ball against Kansas, or at least force them to load the box. We had a running back running sideways and trying to figure out which way to go on our own goal line. A well-designed passing scheme should enable receivers to get open. Some of it is problems of execution, but as CMC says, it's the coaches' responsibility to have them coached up and ready to play.

• Agree
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
CMC should take another job if fans get to make coaching decisions. If you don’t like the way CMC runs the program then fire him. CMC has total control of the program. If you want to take that control away, he will leave. And I wouldn’t blame him. You have to either accept that CMC makes all decisions. Fire CMC. Then we can return to our traditional 2 to 3 wins per year. And get dropped from P5 status. And lose games again by 30 points or more on a regular basis.
If fans care about the program, they're entitled to an opinion about how things are going. Nobody is saying "Fire Matt Campbell", but there are areas where we're not seeing the coaching excellence and attention to detail that brought us to where we are.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
CMC should take another job if fans get to make coaching decisions. If you don’t like the way CMC runs the program then fire him. CMC has total control of the program. If you want to take that control away, he will leave. And I wouldn’t blame him. You have to either accept that CMC makes all decisions. Fire CMC. Then we can return to our traditional 2 to 3 wins per year. And get dropped from P5 status. And lose games again by 30 points or more on a regular basis.

LOL. Yeah, there's zero room between "Maybe some changes and outside perspective would help" and "Fire Campbell."

Also, if anyone thinks this would be any different at another school, with the 4th worst offense in the P5, you're kidding yourself. That's what the money is for. Sure, draw a line at personal attacks or personally contacting the coaches to *****, but if ******** on a message board is a huge problem after 6 years of pretty much 100% slurp, then dude's in the wrong profession.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Campbell's staff could likely benefit from some new perspectives and ideas coming into the program, specifically on the offensive side of the ball. It would also be good of him to tell his grad assistants to go get some experience elsewhere. How long are guys like Kyle Kempt going to stick around as GAs or analysts?
I cant speak to the OP, but I do generally agree organizations often benefit greatly from new and different perspectives. That new guy who comes in knows new and different things which can be added to enhance the current org.
There does become a risk of stagnation and drinking your own bathwater without some injection of outside views. Its hard to do it completely internally.
GE fires 10% of their staff every year to get rid of deadwood, but also to bring in new ideas.
I wonder if CMC has a similar outlook on staff turnover?

• Informative
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
So 4 pages later is there any more to this than calling out a random coach that no one knows anything about?
Just lots of discussion of having one of the least explosive offenses in the power 5 as well as having the 4th worst offense in power 5.
I heard on a podcast that Joel Gordon could also have some blame besides Meyers and Manning, so I wanted to bring it to a discussion to see if anyone else thought that.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Just lots of discussion of having one of the least explosive offenses in the power 5 as well as having the 4th worst offense in power 5.
I heard on a podcast that Joel Gordon could also have some blame besides Meyers and Manning, so I wanted to bring it to a discussion to see if anyone else thought that.

So no, just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. That's what I figured.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There’s really no way of knowing since there is only one sample to gauge. There are things with Purdy you could point to for justification of either opinion.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If fans care about the program, they're entitled to an opinion about how things are going. Nobody is saying "Fire Matt Campbell", but there are areas where we're not seeing the coaching excellence and attention to detail that brought us to where we are.

CMC will resign if you insist that you can determine who his coaches will be. You won’t have to fire him.

We lost a freaking game. By 3 points. To a team that is undefeated and rated Top 25. Upsets happen. We had our best 2 RB’s out. And failed to execute the plays that were there. Campbell has shown me enough success so far that I will let him sort it out. I am sure he is not happy and is working on it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My honest opinion is that I think people way overreact.

We lost Purdy and Breece, that was pretty much all of our production from last year. We replaced them with Dekkers and Brock, who are making their first college starts and barely played since High School. Then add in the TE's we graduated. So yes there is going to be a huge drop off.

My only concerns with the offense are:
1. Not trying to establish the running game in a consistent manner
2. Slow developing running plays when we do decide to run the ball
3. Slow developing route trees that don't appear to compliment each other

Your insight on this if possible...was the inside/quick hitter stuff as productive/potentially effective as it seemed Saturday? To me it looked like it could gain some steam if applied more often. May have helped get KU to back off a bit.

I don't know enough about ISU's route trees but they always seem like they're really set without any room for choice/situational adjustment. Like instead of breaking off a cut to simply take the open space, the cut is made just like it's drawn up even if it's right into the defensive area.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It certainly helps. I'd say one improvement that Dekkers could make would be to sense and more quickly vacate the pocket when its closing up on him. I know there's a value to not getting happy feet, but sometimes you can use your feet to buy time, or use them to make them pay for rushing hard.

His 'happy feet' to me look like when he's trying to stay in the pocket which hurts the throw so yeah he might as well head up field to garner something.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
There’s really no way of knowing since there is only one sample to gauge. There are things with Purdy you could point to for justification of either opinion.

If the point being made is the best qb in school history, currently a play from starting in the NFL, wasn't good enough because of a guy no one knew the name of until this week then I guess I'll sit this one out. This is gameday thread level quality.

Reactions: VeloClone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If the point being made is the best qb in school history, currently a play from starting in the NFL, wasn't good enough because of a guy no one knew the name of until this week then I guess I'll sit this one out. This is gameday thread level quality.
I'm not adding or subtracting in any way. I honestly don't know how good Joel is - nor do I think anybody else can know given the sample size is literally one QB. I think people could argue that Purdy developed into what he is now, or they could argue that he came in already good and left at the same level. I honestly don't have an opinion.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Be honest with me, do you think Purdy got better as the years went on?
I think even CW said that Purdy's best year was his Freshman/Sophomore year. Something happened with him after that and I think some of that can be contributed to coaching.
Purdy was getting NFL looks and hype during his freshman/sophomore years and then his draft stock dropped after that.

• Dumb
Reactions: Bigman38

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
His 'happy feet' to me look like when he's trying to stay in the pocket which hurts the throw so yeah he might as well head up field to garner something.
Happy feet wasn't the term I should have used for what I wanted to convey. Yes, he's staying in the pocket a little too long when things break down and not only does that give up more sacks, it encourages the defense to come with pressure more often because they don't fear him breaking containment as much.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Your insight on this if possible...was the inside/quick hitter stuff as productive/potentially effective as it seemed Saturday? To me it looked like it could gain some steam if applied more often. May have helped get KU to back off a bit.

I don't know enough about ISU's route trees but they always seem like they're really set without any room for choice/situational adjustment. Like instead of breaking off a cut to simply take the open space, the cut is made just like it's drawn up even if it's right into the defensive area.

I think our quick developing runs have been excellent for us this year. Brock's run that he got hurt on was a quick developing run and he gained good yardage.

It's the running plays where we have the RB shuffling down the line that are getting blown up in the backfield almost 100% of the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron