What's the problem with offense besides Tom Manning?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Our passing game needs a complete overhaul. That includes scheme, recruiting, and play design.

Our WR's don't separate when pressed, our o-line gets man handled and doesn't give our WR's time to run longer routes, and we have no play making ability at the TE spot.
It's the OL. If you can't run the ball, everything gets harder. KU was teeing off on Dekkers because they didn't have to worry about the run game. The question is why we have so much trouble putting together a decent OL. And why we have a bunch of WRs that can't get open.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Purdy made an NFL roster so we’re going to fire our QB coach.
thank-you-michael-scott.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Possibly true, but at a level that was good enough to land an NFL contract, which isn't too shabby. Dekkers has five starts under his belt, so to the topic of the thread, premature to say the least.

I'd say Purdy had a better line/RB when he was thrown in to the mix in 2018, and having a Butler to toss it up for sure creates a rosy picture.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm listening to Marchie Murdock and other former players about how our passing game is hot garbage.

Currently using adjusted opponent defense, Iowa is actually ahead of us in yards per play. Is that good?
Also, currently we are almost dead last in power 5 offenses. I think we're 59 right now? I'll have to doublecheck.

I also think that our offense did well in past years because of our great players in spite of play calling and scheme.

My honest opinion is that I think people way overreact.

We lost Purdy and Breece, that was pretty much all of our production from last year. We replaced them with Dekkers and Brock, who are making their first college starts and barely played since High School. Then add in the TE's we graduated. So yes there is going to be a huge drop off.

My only concerns with the offense are:
1. Not trying to establish the running game in a consistent manner
2. Slow developing running plays when we do decide to run the ball
3. Slow developing route trees that don't appear to compliment each other

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

We lost Purdy and Breece, that was pretty much all of our production from last year. We replaced them with Dekkers and Brock, who are making their first college starts and barely played since High School. So yes there is going to be a huge drop off.

This is what I was looking for when I posted the discussion. Thank you for giving a good faith take.
I'll admit, my post was a little bit of click bait, so that's my bad.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

We lost Purdy and Breece, that was pretty much all of our production from last year. We replaced them with Dekkers and Brock, who are making their first college starts and barely played since High School. Then add in the TE's we graduated. So yes there is going to be a huge drop off.

But those concerns are huge. The offense has no identity and no "flow" to it. Just a weird random assortment of plays that are jumbled together. The points you made are glaring, large issues with our offensive scheme.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I don’t know man, he’s currently the QB2 for San Fransico. There were a lot of games last year he sure as hell didn’t look like an NFL QB2 and I don’t think some of that was on him.
Fair however you are missing one elephant in the room which is he is QB2 due to injury to their planned QB1. Had he beat out Jimmy G - that would have been something. Or had they successfully traded Jimmy G etc. None that takes away the fact that he has done a great job and is and should be very impressed with what he is doing to land on an NFL roster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now - back to the original thread - its hard to say. Because it all comes down to the scheme again. Which is out of a QB's coach hands unless he is the OC and to some degree, which varies staff to staff, its out of the OC's hands because the head coach obviously has final say.

In general I think we have an overall scheme issue more than a QB coach issue. Our scheme worked when we had 3 NFL tight ends, an NFL roster QB and essentially two starting NFL running backs.

Now - we have - IDK, potentially some NFL players but IDK how many and I don't know that as a staff we've done a good job adjusting the scheme. We adjusted personnel - we're now more 3 receiver sets and 1 TE / Hybrid in Rus most of the time but I don't know that we've adjusted scheme wise in the sense of route trees, blocking scheme or play calling.

I don't know if that is fair to put on the QB coach. Could he be better? Most likely yes. But overall, I think its more a schematic thing and a bit of a round peg - square hole at the moment more than one positional coach or even OC. I think we're trying to be something we're not cut out to be.

• Winner
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
I'm listening to Marchie Murdock and other former players about how our passing game is hot garbage.

Currently using adjusted opponent defense, Iowa is actually ahead of us in yards per play. Is that good?
Also, currently we are almost dead last in power 5 offenses. I think we're 59 right now? I'll have to doublecheck.

I also think that our offense did well in past years because of our great players in spite of play calling and scheme.
Curious as to what Marchie has said on the subject......

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
It's the OL. If you can't run the ball, everything gets harder. KU was teeing off on Dekkers because they didn't have to worry about the run game. The question is why we have so much trouble putting together a decent OL. And why we have a bunch of WRs that can't get open.
That's not entirely accurate - our OL is competent not great. But watch our running plays. Our scheme i s brutal right now because we generally just run inside with lead zone or inside zone , occasionally a stretch. We don't do pin-pull concepts, traps, counters, etc.

We're essentially trying to run ISO and asking our OL to just flat out whip everyone across from them. They're not that. They've shown for multiple years that they are not that. This is not Alabama or Georgia's offensive line. Yet we continue to run the same run plays over and over again.

We don't have a lateral threat in the run game or outside threat since Dekkers doesn't pull the ball often so it condenses the box and lets LB's just fly down hill when they get a run read.. If we were to run a few fly / jet sweeps it bumps the LB's out of the box. Flaring out Noel pre-snap on a bubble again bumps out a safety or LB which lessens the box.

Instead we seem go with the approach of "our big guys are better than your big guys" and are going to win or at least not get beat and we can run the ball. with that. Which is extremely hit or miss. Right now if your on defense you have zero doubt where Iowa State is going to try to run the ball and who is going to be the ball carrier (the running back) even if the QB carries out the fake.

While the offensive line certainly needs to and can be asked to play better - we've taken a job that was already at level 3.5 or 4 of difficulty and turned it into level 5 by not having an screens, draws, counters, pin-pulls, etc as a significant part of the playbook.

We're basically trying to whip people playing base run plays and while our OL is competent, we don't have the dudes to just whip people running base run plays yet we continue to try to do so. I don't see that as being an offensive line problem. That's a scheme and play calling problem which for me is where a lot of this starts at the moment.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Fair however you are missing one elephant in the room which is he is QB2 due to injury to their planned QB1. Had he beat out Jimmy G - that would have been something. Or had they successfully traded Jimmy G etc. None that takes away the fact that he has done a great job and is and should be very impressed with what he is doing to land on an NFL roster.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now - back to the original thread - its hard to say. Because it all comes down to the scheme again. Which is out of a QB's coach hands unless he is the OC and to some degree, which varies staff to staff, its out of the OC's hands because the head coach obviously has final say.

In general I think we have an overall scheme issue more than a QB coach issue. Our scheme worked when we had 3 NFL tight ends, an NFL roster QB and essentially two starting NFL running backs.

Now - we have - IDK, potentially some NFL players but IDK how many and I don't know that as a staff we've done a good job adjusting the scheme. We adjusted personnel - we're now more 3 receiver sets and 1 TE / Hybrid in Rus most of the time but I don't know that we've adjusted scheme wise in the sense of route trees, blocking scheme or play calling.

I don't know if that is fair to put on the QB coach. Could he be better? Most likely yes. But overall, I think its more a schematic thing and a bit of a round peg - square hole at the moment more than one positional coach or even OC. I think we're trying to be something we're not cut out to be.
Joel is the passing game coordinator in addition to QB coach. He likely has some say in the scheme.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Joel is the passing game coordinator in addition to QB coach. He likely has some say in the scheme.
Depends on the staff but not 100%. That title can often times be ceremonial - like calling someone the associate head coach. That is something that varies staff to staff but generally it works like this.

Offensive coordinator and or head coach lay out the scheme and the game plan.
Run game / passing game coordinator receive game plan and then say, give the OC a set number of plays or schemes they think work the best regarding the plan.

They obviously meet and discuss things prior to that but its kind of like a boss giving you an objective then you give him ideas within the parameters of that objective.

Again, varies from staff to staff. So the answer to that might be yes, but in a lot of cases, those titles are 99.9% ceremonial and don't mean that he actually comes up with the pass plays. It just means he;'s in charge of scouting the defensive secondary , giving the report to the OC with suggestions and then receiving the final copy back which may or may not include those suggestions and maybe running the skelly session or planning on offense but most staff's, the OC / HC dictates the actual plan for the week with either minimal to moderate input depending on staff but again, most are more here's what we are doing, what can we do within those parameters? kind of thing

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd say Purdy had a better line/RB when he was thrown in to the mix in 2018, and having a Butler to toss it up for sure creates a rosy picture.
It certainly helps. I'd say one improvement that Dekkers could make would be to sense and more quickly vacate the pocket when its closing up on him. I know there's a value to not getting happy feet, but sometimes you can use your feet to buy time, or use them to make them pay for rushing hard.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It is time for CMC to look at making some coaching changes....OL, QB, OC, and ST.....start there.
Maybe, he needs some outside help, a successful former or even present coach....college or NFL either one....it's evident we've become predictable, one dimensional.
This offense will not get it done in this conference.

CMC should take another job if fans get to make coaching decisions. If you don’t like the way CMC runs the program then fire him. CMC has total control of the program. If you want to take that control away, he will leave. And I wouldn’t blame him. You have to either accept that CMC makes all decisions. Fire CMC. Then we can return to our traditional 2 to 3 wins per year. And get dropped from P5 status. And lose games again by 30 points or more on a regular basis.