What's the problem with offense besides Tom Manning?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I don’t know man, he’s currently the QB2 for San Fransico. There were a lot of games last year he sure as hell didn’t look like an NFL QB2 and I don’t think some of that was on him.
QB2***

There is a caveat there, but he DID make the roster which says something.

But also- I think his style of play is right in Shannahan's wheelhouse. I mean.. look at Jimmy G.

I'm sure working with others outside of the ISU coaching staff after the season helped a ton, though. No doubt.

Reactions: Snydes and JM4CY

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
How do you know he got better? From watching a few plays in the pre-season?
His footwork looked better in the combine and his arm strength actually got bumped up considerably. I don't know what sort of workouts they had him doing, but it made a big difference.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
My main issue with Purdy technique-wise was throwing off his back foot, which he still did in the NFL preseason.

He also really has to wind up to push the ball down the field. That is pretty valuable time when facing a NFL pass rush...

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
He sure looked better in the combine as well as the preseason games.
So he looked better against no defense and against defenses that hadn't watched any film on him?

I don't think your idea is crazy, just that it's too early to make any conclusions. But it is a bit crazy to come to your conclusion based solely on assumptions about Purdy.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
His footwork looked better in the combine and his arm strength actually got bumped up considerably. I don't know what sort of workouts they had him doing, but it made a big difference.
His footwork looked better than a game situation with a pass rush? ****, get the pink slips sent out today.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
His footwork looked better than a game situation with a pass rush? ****, get the pink slips sent out today.
Nothing to contribute, just being a terrible person? Going on ignore Mr. Troll. I created this discussion to see what other people thought, I'm not an expert and I wanted to have a discussion.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Why are we talking about Purdy? lol
I mainly wanted this to be about Joel Gordon and how he doesn't seem to be a good passing game coordinator or QB coach. In the discussion, I said for example that Purdy didn't seem to improve from his first season here

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Continuity in a coaching staff is generally a good thing for player development and building a team culture. At the same time, one of the signs of a successful head coach is assistants moving on to bigger roles/jobs. In Campbell's time at ISU, the only three assistants that I can recall that moved on to bigger roles were D.K. McDonald, Alex Golesh, and Louis Ayeni.

Campbell's staff could likely benefit from some new perspectives and ideas coming into the program, specifically on the offensive side of the ball. It would also be good of him to tell his grad assistants to go get some experience elsewhere. How long are guys like Kyle Kempt going to stick around as GAs or analysts?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I mainly wanted this to be about Joel Gordon and how he doesn't seem to be a good passing game coordinator or QB coach. In the discussion, I said for example that Purdy didn't seem to improve from his first season here

What are your reasons for this?

In post #29 you said "I created this discussion to see what other people thought, I'm not an expert and I wanted to have a discussion."

So in your non-expert opinion why is a a bad passing game coordinator and QB coach?

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Continuity in a coaching staff is generally a good thing for player development and building a team culture. At the same time, one of the signs of a successful head coach is assistants moving on to bigger roles/jobs. In Campbell's time at ISU, the only three assistants that I can recall that moved on to bigger roles were D.K. McDonald, Alex Golesh, and Louis Ayeni.

Campbell's staff could likely benefit from some new perspectives and ideas coming into the program, specifically on the offensive side of the ball. It would also be good of him to tell his grad assistants to go get some experience elsewhere. How long are guys like Kyle Kempt going to stick around as GAs or analysts?
I for one would like to see Kyle Kempt get the QB coach spot eventually, but I can definitely see the want for him to get some coaching experience before taking over the role. We saw how well that worked for Myers taking over the O-line coaching role.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
What are your reasons for this?

In post #29 you said "I created this discussion to see what other people thought, I'm not an expert and I wanted to have a discussion."

So in your non-expert opinion why is a a bad passing game coordinator and QB coach?
I'm listening to Marchie Murdock and other former players about how our passing game is hot garbage.

Currently using adjusted opponent defense, Iowa is actually ahead of us in yards per play. Is that good?
Also, currently we are almost dead last in power 5 offenses. I think we're 59 right now? I'll have to doublecheck.

I also think that our offense did well in past years because of our great players in spite of play calling and scheme.