What's the problem with offense besides Tom Manning?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I can't help but think that Joel Gordon becoming the QB coach and passing game coordinator has stunted our QB growth.

Timeline:

2008-2010: Gordon was the offensive coordinator at Emory & Henry a Division 3 school in Virginia. He worked along side Tom Manning was was an offensive line coach at the school in 2008.

2011-2015: Spent 5 seasons at his alma mater Shepherd (W.V>) University as Quarterbacks and Receivers coach.

2016-2017: Asked by Matt Campbell to assist as an Offensive Analyst

2018: Quarterbacks Coach

2019: Passing Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks coach.

Most of his listed accomplishments include Brock Purdy breaking all of the school records at ISU. But doesn't anyone else think that Purdy actually got worse or stagnant under his tutelage?
Purdy leaves ISU and gets an independent quarterbacks coach, all of a sudden he looks like an NFL quarterback.
We don't seem to have any development with our quarterbacks and they seem to become stagnant or get worse over their time here.
Discuss.

Last edited:

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I can't help but think that Joel Gordon becoming the QB coach and passing game coordinator has stunted our QB growth.

Timeline:

2008-2010: Gordon was the offensive coordinator at Emory & Henry a Division 3 school in Virginia. He worked along side Tom Manning was was an offensive line coach at the school in 2008.

2011-2015: Spent 5 seasons at his alma mater Shepherd (W.V>) University as Quarterbacks and Receivers coach.

Most of his listed accomplishments include Brock Purdy breaking all of the school records at ISU. But doesn't anyone else think that Purdy actually got worse under his tutelage?
Purdy leaves ISU and gets an independent quarterbacks coach, all of a sudden he looks like an NFL quarterback.
We don't seem to have any development with our quarterbacks and they seem to become stagnant or get worse over our time here.
Discuss.
I'm not sure Purdy got worse, I just think Purdy was maxed out with what he could do given his qualities/abilities.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not sure Purdy got worse, I just think Purdy was maxed out with what he could do given his qualities/abilities.
Possibly true, but at a level that was good enough to land an NFL contract, which isn't too shabby. Dekkers has five starts under his belt, so to the topic of the thread, premature to say the least.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Why did he magically become better after he left ISU then? That's what I'd like to know. Because if only 3 months with an actually competent qb coach did that, you have to wonder.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Possibly true, but at a level that was good enough to land an NFL contract, which isn't too shabby. Dekkers has five starts under his belt, so to the topic of the thread, premature to say the least.
I think the current season emphasis on this thread is that he's also the passing game coordinator and that's where a lot of my gripe is.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don’t know man, he’s currently the QB2 for San Fransico. There were a lot of games last year he sure as hell didn’t look like an NFL QB2 and I don’t think some of that was on him.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Timeline:

Most of his listed accomplishments include Brock Purdy breaking all of the school records at ISU. But doesn't anyone else think that Purdy actually got worse under his tutelage?
We don't seem to have any development with our quarterbacks and they seem to become stagnant or get worse over our time here.
Discuss.
It's a case of another assistant, like the OL coach, in a key assistant position that has no coaching experience at the P5 or G5 level prior to getting a job at ISU. I'm all for mentoring young people, but don't you need to have experienced mentors to pull that off? Who were/are experienced mentors on the offensive side at ISU, when these young guys were given their jobs?

I don't think Purdy got worse at ISU, but I also don't think he really improved at ISU either. It also seems that part of his game was taken from him.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Why did he magically become better after he left ISU then? That's what I'd like to know. Because if only 3 months with an actually competent qb coach did that, you have to wonder.
"Magically better"? He was good enough to get drafted, and good enough to break ISU records all over the place. He may be playing better when surrounded by professionals, and some of it may be top notch coaching (as brief as it has been), but he was very, very good here, and it is silly to say otherwise (or judge a coach based on the results of a 2nd string NFL player and a player with just five starts under his belt).

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
"Magically better"? He was good enough to get drafted, and good enough to break ISU records all over the place. He may be playing better when surrounded by professionals, and some of it may be top notch coaching (as brief as it has been), but he was very, very good here, and it is silly to say otherwise (or judge a coach based on the results of a 2nd string NFL player and a player with just five starts under his belt).
And he got a qb coach prior to the draft and combine, which has something to do with getting drafted.
I watched all his combine results and he looked like a different quarterback. I'm saying he could've been even better here at ISU.

Now we can agree to disagree here.

Do you think Joel Gordon has done a good job as passing game coordinator?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
And he got a qb coach prior to the draft and combine, which has something to do with getting drafted.
I watched all his combine results and he looked like a different quarterback. I'm saying he could've been even better here at ISU.

Now we can agree to disagree here.

Do you think Joel Gordon has done a good job as passing game coordinator?
The jury is still out. There are a lot of things at play here, including a green quarterback, less than optimal pass blocking, and a run game that was non-existent in the last game.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
It is time for CMC to look at making some coaching changes....OL, QB, OC, and ST.....start there.
Maybe, he needs some outside help, a successful former or even present coach....college or NFL either one....it's evident we've become predictable, one dimensional.
This offense will not get it done in this conference.