Is it legal to drink in a vehicle in MO

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm leaving for St.Louis in 30 minutes and I'm not the driver. I've heard that their are no open container laws. Can anybody confirm this? It is of the utmost importance.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Don't you have to be sitting in the back seat for it to be legal?

Missouri has no general open container law for vehicles, a characteristic which Missouri shares only with the states of Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware,Mississippi, Virginia, and West Virginia.[SUP][46][/SUP] Any non-driving vehicle passenger thus is permitted to possess an open container and consume alcohol in Missouri while the vehicle is in motion, although 31 smaller municipalities, the largest being Independence and St. Charles, have local open container laws.[SUP][2][/SUP]The metropolises of St. Louis and Kansas City have no local open container laws, and thus the state law (or lack thereof) governs.[SUP][2][/SUP] This makes it possible for a passenger to drink legally through the entire 250-mile (400 km) trip across Missouri on Interstate 70 between Downtown Kansas City and Downtown St. Louis, only closing his container while passing through the city limits of Independence, Bates City, Foristell, and St. Charles.[SUP][2][/SUP]

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, I noticed the link after I posted. Looks like the guy in shotgun is good to go as well. God bless you Missouri.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Missouri has to have lax alcohol laws to keep the population in check, it's in all our best interests.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Open container laws are dumb to begin with.

They served a purpose when you couldnt do a breathalyzer, so the driver couldnt just hand off his beer and say "it was that guy's", but now that we can test the driver, the passengers should be able to drink in a vehicle with no penalties.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron