Brock Purdy is the most clutch player in the state of Iowa's history

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
That’s because of the way the NFL was in those years. It was all about the tall pocket style passer rather then scramble around the pocket and make plays with your legs. Purdy also gets the benefit of inflated stats playing Big 12 defense. Purdy has to put up a ten win season and win some awards until he can mentioned on the same level of Brad Banks.
After a glance at some active NFL QBs in 2002 that were throwing for thousands and rushing for hundreds of yards per year it's easy to see this is not accurate -

Michael Vick
Donavan McNabb
Daunte Culpepper
Jeff Garcia
Steve McNair
Aaron Brooks

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I love Seneca and he was electric but once teams started to blitz him in 02 he collapsed. He lost 6 of his final 7 games, two of those by 50 points. That UCONN loss followed by the Humanitarian Bowl still give me nightmares

You can't be clutch in every game. Purdy has cost us wins as well. Costly turnovers.

It's possible I'm just remembering Seneca's clutch performances more because they were so dramatic and he was electric and amazing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You can't be clutch in every game. Purdy has cost us wins as well. Costly turnovers.

It's possible I'm just remembering Seneca's clutch performances more because they were so dramatic and he was electric and amazing.

Purdy single handedly won his first game ever playing on the road vs a top 25 team. I love Seneca but teams figured him out and he was not very good at the end of his career

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Purdy had over 4000 yards and 35 TDs while playing the 5th hardest schedule in the country and behind an OL that "sucks". No Iowa QB could ever do that
So Purdy isn’t near as good as say Cliff Kingsbury or Graham Harrell were then?

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Do you realize he managed to win 7 games vs the fifth hardest schedule in the entire country all while having an OL that sucked? That is incredibly impressive
problem is they didn't beat the good teams other than Texas