Irregardless of what you think, “irregardless” is a word

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It looks like it's time for a @Sigmapolis dissertation!

Gettin' a lot of use out of this GIF today...

tenor.gif

Reactions: Angie

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I can't even remember the last time I read/heard someone say the word.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
unthaw
verb
un·thaw | \ ˌən-ˈthȯ \
unthawed; unthawing
Definition of unthaw

transitive + intransitive

: THAW
A fuel station operator apparently caused the 5:30 a.m. blast by using an open flame to unthaw a frozen tank valve …— Associated Press

Escape the winter freeze and unthaw in beautiful tropical settings …— Business Wire

NOTE: Although unthaw as a synonym of thaw is sometimes cited as an illogical error, it has persisted in occasional use for more than four centuries. It occurs in both American and British English.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
unthaw
verb
un·thaw | \ ˌən-ˈthȯ \
unthawed; unthawing
Definition of unthaw

transitive + intransitive

: THAW
A fuel station operator apparently caused the 5:30 a.m. blast by using an open flame to unthaw a frozen tank valve …— Associated Press

Escape the winter freeze and unthaw in beautiful tropical settings …— Business Wire

NOTE: Although unthaw as a synonym of thaw is sometimes cited as an illogical error, it has persisted in occasional use for more than four centuries. It occurs in both American and British English.

I believe "unthawing" would just be re-freezing something that was formerly frozen, thawed, and is now "unthawed" (or refrozen).

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Waiting for the MW entry of covfefe to appear.

On a somewhat related note, I'm really beginning to cringe at "I've got" or "we have got". Was reading an article about Kirk Ferentz in the DM Rag this morning and Kirk must have used that three times in three sentences. :rolleyes:

Or, "must of" or "could of". As a former ISU English major (switched to JLMC), these things matter.

To me, anyway. :oops:

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Just like misplacing those little registration stickers on your license plate... ‘irregardless’ is a way for idiots to out themselves.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
any editor worth his salt would can you for using that word. Just because a word has been thrust into the dictionary because idiots use it so often incorrectly, that doesn't mean it's magically become a word.

This is the winner.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
On a somewhat related note, my mother-in-law won a game of scrabble with the word "gracias". And guess what? It was in the ****ing dictionary.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Linguistics says this is correct. Most languages aren't written, so vernacular changes and we lose what we had thousands of years ago. We only started worrying about proper grammar when records were kept. Basically if the people say it and understand it, it's language.

I'm my own personal opinion, it's not a word. It's basically a double negative.

Reactions: Doc

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
If you say something incorrectly long enough it will eventually become a word.