Irregardless of what you think, “irregardless” is a word

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I couldn't care less it isn't a word
giphy.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Well my dictionary beats your dictionary. English is such a silly language I find anyone who takes it too seriously insufferable.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I've started to appreciate the flexibility of language as I've gotten older. Helps separate us from the animals.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
any editor worth his salt would can you for using that word. Just because a word has been thrust into the dictionary because idiots use it so often incorrectly, that doesn't mean it's magically become a word.

It's a pretty good analogy for society as a whole, isn't it? If you just say some incorrect BS often enough for long enough, we all just assume that legitimizes it. Never mind the actual structure for such things.

See also: science.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Whatever. If I hear someone say it I'm probably still going to correct them. Big thanks to MW for their own little contribution to the ongoing culture war, because we definitely needed a little more gas on that fire.

Reactions: SCyclone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
imo, Misusing language is really harmless for the most part. Obviously, there are exceptions. There are definitely jobs where it is important to use the correct language and punctuation.

Now when people don't follow the rules when driving through parking lots because they're not enforceable, drive too fast down residential streets, or jaywalk cause they're too lazy to cross at a stop light, now those actions have significant costs to the American people including injury and death.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
imo, Misusing language is really harmless for the most part. Obviously, there are exceptions. There are definitely jobs where it is important to use the correct language and punctuation.

Now when people don't follow the rules when driving through parking lots because they're not enforceable, drive too fast down residential streets, or jaywalk cause they're too lazy to cross at a stop light, now those actions have significant costs to the American people including injury and death.

I get it, and at some level agree with you. I think we're also all just complicit in the dumbing down of society. I mean, I can get what someone means if they grunt in monosyllables and points at things, but it's also just less... civilized if you are capable of more.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
It's a pretty good analogy for society as a whole, isn't it? If you just say some incorrect BS often enough for long enough, we all just assume that legitimizes it. Never mind the actual structure for such things.

See also: science.

Yes, science and language have always been fixed by dictate and never change. o_O

Reactions: RoseClone