Iron Butt Riders - Motorcycle

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
This past weekend I completed my first Iron Butt Ride. I did the Saddle Sore 1,000, which was 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours. I left Ames at 3:07 am and drove to DSM - Davenport - Peoria, IL - Springfield, IL - St. Louis, MO - Kansas City, MO - Omaha, NE - DSM, and back to Ames. I got back to Ames at 7:30 pm. It was 1,071 miles in 16.5 hours.

Just curious if any of the other Motorcycle guys on here have done anything like that.

Here is the Iron Butt Riders website. They have alot of other tough rides, the Saddle Sore 1,000 is the easiest ride.:eek:
IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Congrats. I rode 160 miles yesterday to the Baxter Cycle event they had and that was enough for me. No windscreen really beats you up.

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
I've done 750 or 800 in a day before, but I just don't see the point of the 1,000 miles for 1,000 miles. I may just be too practical for this, as I could see doing 1,000 to GET somewhere, but this...

Sorry, not trying to take anything away from you--just not my cup of tea. Congrats, though--that is a long time on a bike! What did you do it on?

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
This past weekend I completed my first Iron Butt Ride. I did the Saddle Sore 1,000, which was 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours. I left Ames at 3:07 am and drove to DSM - Davenport - Peoria, IL - Springfield, IL - St. Louis, MO - Kansas City, MO - Omaha, NE - DSM, and back to Ames. I got back to Ames at 7:30 pm. It was 1,071 miles in 16.5 hours.

Just curious if any of the other Motorcycle guys on here have done anything like that.

Here is the Iron Butt Riders website. They have alot of other tough rides, the Saddle Sore 1,000 is the easiest ride.:eek:

Wow, that's an average of 65 mph the whole way. Sounds more like an iron bladder ride...

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I did it on my 2009 Road King (windshield and a cruise are a must). I only stopped for gas/pee/bottle of water/granola bar. I kept a cooler in my saddle bag. I can get 175 - 200 miles on a bike which is about 2.5 hours. I guess it is one of the dumb things guys do that you can be proud of.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Good for you!!

Bought a 04 RK Classic this May and June 3rd went from Waukee to Ft worth TX but we broke it up into two days. It was about 825 miles one way. We made it to Tx by about 11 am the next morning.

I love the bigger bike! I had a 883 sporty for about 9 yrs and I could ride that thing for about 1 1/2 hrs and I was done for the day. I've put about 6500 miles on this summer so far and I'm lovin it!!

Sturgis next year for sure.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Good for you!!

Bought a 04 RK Classic this May and June 3rd went from Waukee to Ft worth TX but we broke it up into two days. It was about 825 miles one way. We made it to Tx by about 11 am the next morning.

I love the bigger bike! I had a 883 sporty for about 9 yrs and I could ride that thing for about 1 1/2 hrs and I was done for the day. I've put about 6500 miles on this summer so far and I'm lovin it!!

Sturgis next year for sure.

I picked my Road King up in February, and I have 7100 miles on it. That includes one trip to Pittsburgh and now an Iron Butt Run. I definielty want to hit Sturgis next year (something I have to do at least once)

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Congrats. I rode 160 miles yesterday to the Baxter Cycle event they had and that was enough for me. No windscreen really beats you up.
this. We rode over to prairie creek marina for breakfast and from there to War Eagle and back to Bella Vista. Actually the ride was amazing since the curves kept our speeds lower and the weather was awesome but getting out on I-540 and trying to run around 75 will literally beat you senseless without a windshield.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I failed to mention that I couldn't go over 75mph since I a buddy went along that had a Suzuki DRZ400-sm. Those bikes are great around town but not so good on the highway.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I once road to DC and back in March on a whim. From Central Iowa.

One day out, one day back. Long day, but it was comfy enough. The only duration problem I had was the hands going numb, but that was an easy enough fix.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
So you do this just to say you did it?

I've often thought it would cool to ride a motorcycle around the country... but only to actually visit somewhere.

Not just to make a 1,000 mile circle...
I've done something similar. Except I was on my bicycle instead of a motorcycle. I rode my bicycle a little of 200 miles (3 loops) in a day just to do it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

I've thought about making an Iron Butt run. Earlier this year I rode 830 miles from Omaha to Green River Wyoming. Left at about 5:45 and got there at about 6:15 PM (you gain an hour along the way) I had to stop a couple of time for a total of about an hour in the first 3 hours being that it was 40 degrees and I had to warm up some. I figure some day I should just get up and ride out to Salt Lake City. That should get me pretty close to 1000.

The problem with the Iron Butt is you have to ride at night and that always brings the deer into play. Especially if you are riding across Wyoming. The mule deer and antelope are everywhere.

Did you document your ride to get the certification, or just do it to know you can?

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I've thought about making an Iron Butt run. Earlier this year I rode 830 miles from Omaha to Green River Wyoming. Left at about 5:45 and got there at about 6:15 PM (you gain an hour along the way) I had to stop a couple of time for a total of about an hour in the first 3 hours being that it was 40 degrees and I had to warm up some. I figure some day I should just get up and ride out to Salt Lake City. That should get me pretty close to 1000.

The problem with the Iron Butt is you have to ride at night and that always brings the deer into play. Especially if you are riding across Wyoming. The mule deer and antelope are everywhere.

Did you document your ride to get the certification, or just do it to know you can?

I got all the documentation, gas station reciepts and witness at the start and end. I will send it in and hang the certificate on my office wall. If anything it is a good conversation piece.:yes: