Iranian Nuclear Weapons Program Halted in 2003

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
This Iran flap really begs for a couple of questions to be answered.....

A laptop computer was the principal piece of evidence that was used by GWB to make the case that Iran was developing nukes. The stolen laptop contained what seemed to be "detailed efforts to build what looked like a compact warhead for an Iranian missile." The slideshow may have been outdated, the Times suggests, and the NIE doesn't explain in its unclassified summary why the 2005 judgments were so off. The NIE also raises questions about why President Bush this fall was warning a nuclear-armed Iran could start World War III at a time when he had already been informed about the new doubts.

Link:
washingtonpost.com

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont buy it. They are still doing it in secret. They want us to feel safe now and question our governement. Cause this country to rot from the inside out. Then when its weak, that is when our enemies will take advantage. I know it sounds like conspiracy theory, but If I were an enemey thats how I would get it done.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The timing on this announcement is interesting and probably pretty important. I think it signals a definite shift in the rhetoric directed towards Iran.

Not really. Bush is still yapping

Bush: Iran report a 'warning signal' - The White House - MSNBC.com

To me, the NIE (National Intelligence Estimate) provides an opportunity for us to rally the international community -- to continue to rally the community -- to pressure the Iranian regime to suspend its program," the president said. "What's to say they couldn't start another covert nuclear weapons program."

So George, we're going to "rally the international community" - something you''re oh so good at - to keep Iran from doing something that your intelligence community says they aren't doing.

:skeptical:

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
So George, we're going to "rally the international community" - something you''re oh so good at - to keep Iran from doing something that your intelligence community says they aren't doing.

:skeptical:

I believe he was referring to the enrichment program and not the weapons program. It's far too easy to transfer the knowledge learned in a civilian nuclear program to a new clandestine weapons program.

Iran had a secret weapons program as recently as 2003. I see no reason why they wouldn't start a new program after they gain enrichment capabilities. GWB is right in that we need international presssure to prevent this.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Hillary seemed to be hyping the Iraninan nuke situation as much as GWB. In one of the Demo debates Hillary mentioned massing troops along the Iranian border. Is Hillary going to claim that she was duped once again?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I believe he was referring to the enrichment program and not the weapons program. It's far too easy to transfer the knowledge learned in a civilian nuclear program to a new clandestine weapons program.

Iran had a secret weapons program as recently as 2003. I see no reason why they wouldn't start a new program after they gain enrichment capabilities. GWB is right in that we need international presssure to prevent this.

This Iran stuff is diverting attention away from the real threats. Afghanistan has 176 million Muslims and possesses about 80 nuclear weapons I believe. Russia, Putin is grabbing power and keeping it. Tainted election and we are bogged down in Iraq so we look pretty weak in confronting him. In Iran, the leader Mujowhatshisname is losing public support. The only way he will retain power is for us to attack him and confront him.

All this war talk merely emboldens and strengthens our enemies. It raises the price of oil which gives them more money. If we contain and watch the collapse from within, the price of oil falls and Mujowhatshisname will be out of power when the next election occurs. Pretty stupid strategy to go on the offensive and increase Mujowhatshisname's support while increasing the price of oil. UNLESS.......that is your motive, to increase the price of oil.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
This Iran stuff is diverting attention away from the real threats. Afghanistan has 176 million Muslims and possesses about 80 nuclear weapons I believe. Russia, Putin is grabbing power and keeping it. Tainted election and we are bogged down in Iraq so we look pretty weak in confronting him. In Iran, the leader Mujowhatshisname is losing public support. The only way he will retain power is for us to attack him and confront him.

All this war talk merely emboldens and strengthens our enemies. It raises the price of oil which gives them more money. If we contain and watch the collapse from within, the price of oil falls and Mujowhatshisname will be out of power when the next election occurs. Pretty stupid strategy to go on the offensive and increase Mujowhatshisname's support while increasing the price of oil. UNLESS.......that is your motive, to increase the price of oil.

Do you mean Pakistan?