iPhone 6 battery replacement

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Just wondering if anybody on here has tried this. The kit, which includes everything needed, is $27 on Amazon.The videos on YouTube make it seem pretty straight forward, aside from the extremely small screws I'd be working with.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I looked at doing it with my old phone but ended up just replacing it, I agree it looks straight forward enough though. Just take your time and I'm sure you'll be fine. Make sure the Amazon reviews indicate it's a good quality battery and whatnot.

Reactions: Acylum

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Trickiest part (and I haven't done this on a 6 series) is having the specialty screw heads you need. Their not something you can pick up or at Home Depot or Lowes. iFixit.com offers a pretty good set.

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Just wondering if anybody on here has tried this. The kit, which includes everything needed, is $27 on Amazon.The videos on YouTube make it seem pretty straight forward, aside from the extremely small screws I'd be working with.

I replaced mine this morning and am posting from the phone so it worked. Screws are tiny but the Amazon kit for $27 has all the tools you need. Make sure to note the location of the screws as there are different sizes. Use a hair dryer on the back of the phone to warm it slightly in order to get the glue to release from the old battery a little easier and go slowly. My phone is 2+ years old so I figured it was worth the $27 gamble and if I screwed it up I could always upgrade.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Before I did it I would check to see if your iPhone 6 is on the list to have Apple replace the battery for free. Mine was and they just did it last week.

• Agree

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Is there a way to know when a battery should be replaced?

I got my iphone 6 used so I'm not sure how long it lasted when new but I find myself having to charge multiple times a day and if I try to go on a run or something and it's less than like 40 degrees it will just shut off (guessing that's a battery issue).

JHpsyclonz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa City
Is there a way to know when a battery should be replaced?

I got my iphone 6 used so I'm not sure how long it lasted when new but I find myself having to charge multiple times a day and if I try to go on a run or something and it's less than like 40 degrees it will just shut off (guessing that's a battery issue).

Mine would drop from 75% to 20% under normal use in a matter of minutes and then would shutdown abruptly. I figured that was a pretty good indicator that I needed a new battery as I don't really want to upgrade right now and have to pay the $15-20 extra each month for a phone on a contract or pay upfront for a new one.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I got one of those kits for my daughter's iphone 5S. The battery that came with it had a short in the wiring but they sent me a new one right away. The hardest part is prying the case apart. After that it's easy and it's worked great since.