Iowa's mystery points

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Does anyone know where Iowa's mystery points came from Friday night? They should have been down much further than what they were after that session. Their wrestlers were losing big time and somehow they gained ground. Their fans and now even Brands was surprised by the higher point total.

tidbit

Apr 10, 2006
dallas county, iowa
Wouldn't that be "SPECIAL", if they won it on a mistake and had to give the title back.
That won't happen because I am sure the points are correct, but it would be funny!!

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
I am not looking for an argument, I am looking for the information or someone that can find it and/or decipher it. I think Brian Finley on HN is the expert there someone that is a member there go get it and break it down. If I remember correctly he was even surprised Friday night.

cykitt

Sep 20, 2007
And when the wrestler may have been losing alot on friday but its important on friday to win the last match of the day because it means that you're an all american. All american get more points for the team. (1st-8th) (16-12-10-9-7-6-4-3)

So probably what happened was Iowa lost alot in the Friday morning quarters but then Friday Night alot of them came back to win in the round of twelve and be all americans.

The scoring of the national tourney if you make it into the semis you are aleast going to finish in 6th place so when you win you're quarterfinals match the system gives 6 point to the team total.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
And when the wrestler may have been losing alot on friday but its important on friday to win the last match of the day because it means that you're an all american. All american get more points for the team. (1st-8th) (16-12-10-9-7-6-4-3)

So probably what happened was Iowa lost alot in the Friday morning quarters but then Friday Night alot of them came back to win in the round of twelve and be all americans.

The scoring of the national tourney if you make it into the semis you are aleast going to finish in 6th place so when you win you're quarterfinals match the system gives 6 point to the team total.

Perfect, that is the answer I was looking for. I will read this. I am still surprised though, IA was taking big hit Friday night as well. I am not sure if we could have even won the NC with 3 winners with pins if IA had done all of this other stuff, they might need to put more scoring emphasis on the championships (double it or something). Thanks for the info and insight!

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Perfect, that is the answer I was looking for. I will read this. I am still surprised though, IA was taking big hit Friday night as well. I am not sure if we could have even won the NC with 3 winners with pins if IA had done all of this other stuff, they might need to put more scoring emphasis on the championships (double it or something). Thanks for the info and insight!

That is interesting to consider. I was surprised to see that Dan Erekson for Iowa scored just 2.5 fewer points than Metcalf did (well, 1.5 after Brent's point deduction) for getting 4th to Metcalf's 2nd, and just four points less than Varner did, and Jake won his weight.

If you keep winning, keep pinning, keep racking up bonus points on the backside, you can continue to be dominant and be a real engine for your team.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Does anyone know where Iowa's mystery points came from Friday night? They should have been down much further than what they were after that session. Their wrestlers were losing big time and somehow they gained ground. Their fans and now even Brands was surprised by the higher point total.

Iowa won this based on their performance on Saturday. Erekson pinning Big Z I'm sure helped for example. You can win a title with no NCAA champs. In 2001 Minnesota didn't have anyone finish better than 3rd, yet had all 10 of their guys All-Americans and won the title. In that scenario, Minnesota would've "lost a lot" on Friday as well, yet gained a lot of it back from Friday night and Saturday morning...

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
Someone said in the Thursday and Friday wrestling thread that the tournament would be won in the wrestlebacks. Iowa's wrestlers loosing early, but having success in the wrestlebacks is certainly (unfortunate) proof of that, IMO. It's just too bad our guys couldn't capitalize on the open door :sad:. Brighter days are ahead for our team, I believe :smile:.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Do You Realize How Close we came to winning a National Title.

Iowa beat us by 12 points (13 if you count Metcalf's Shove).

If Big Z beats the Iowa HWT (Big Z is 10 time better). That is a change of 9 points. So now, we have a difference of 4 points (M Shove).

Damn, if Reader Beats Kiing in the Semi (he gets 7 pts , give back the 3.5 for his consolation win) ISU picks up 3.5 more points, just for being in the Semi's.

Ok, we are still 0.5 pts short, so 1 more early match does it. Ward or Sanderson or Fanthorpe.

Point is: this team is very close to winning it all. Some will say that Iowa did not wrestle very well and still won, but Iowa didn't wrestle very well at the Big 10's either.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Do You Realize How Close we came to winning a National Title.

Iowa beat us by 12 points (13 if you count Metcalf's Shove).

If Big Z beats the Iowa HWT (Big Z is 10 time better). That is a change of 9 points. So now, we have a difference of 4 points (M Shove).

Damn, if Reader Beats Kiing in the Semi (he gets 7 pts , give back the 3.5 for his consolation win) ISU picks up 3.5 more points, just for being in the Semi's.

Ok, we are still 0.5 pts short, so 1 more early match does it. Ward or Sanderson or Fanthorpe.

Point is: this team is very close to winning it all. Some will say that Iowa did not wrestle very well and still won, but Iowa didn't wrestle very well at the Big 10's either.
I heard they struggled at the B10's as well, but never really looked into it.

Reactions: Melvin

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Iowa is a very good team, but they are very beatable. Both ISU and Iowa have some big GAPs in their Lineups and not all their wrestlers get to their Full Potential. I just hope we can continue to improve.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
That is interesting to consider. I was surprised to see that Dan Erekson for Iowa scored just 2.5 fewer points than Metcalf did (well, 1.5 after Brent's point deduction) for getting 4th to Metcalf's 2nd, and just four points less than Varner did, and Jake won his weight.

Maybe they want it this way, but it doesn't seem right to me. I think it should be more or less impossible for a guy who got 3rd to score more points than a guy who got 2nd, irrespective of what they did to get their placing.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
2.0 pts - Pin
1.5 pt - Tech Fall
1.0 pt - Major

That is where you can pick up the points.

Look at the Cornell 174 pounder - he scored 17 pts, finished 5th (had 2 pins and 1 major - 5 bonus points). The Duke HWT scored 17 pts and finished 2nd (no pins or majors). Pins and Majors really can Add up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron