Iowa's football schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The 2024 Iowa conference schedule is challenging, but 2025 reverts back to typical B1G West tissue-softness.
expect Natty talk entering into 2025 .

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
In 2025, Fickell and Rhule will have Wisconsin and Nebraska humming so I don't think it will be as soft as it looks (even though it's laughably soft).

In 2025, Iowa will be going into year 2 of its new head coach after Ferentz retired because he didn't have a cake walk to 6 wins anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 7Got6

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Much of Iowa's future success will depend on Rhule and Fickell.

Tough draw in 2024. They're already whining.

Outside of Barry Alvarez in an interim role between Bielema and Anderson, every Wisconsin coach is a winner.. Fickell has played in a CFP game and has the #15 class for 2024

Nebraska is lost without connections to Texas recruiting

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Iowa fans love it because Minnesota has only won 11 times since 1982.. It's far less of a rivalry to Minnesota who really only cares about beating Bucky.. Iowa isn't a rivalry game to them
They've played every year since 1909 and like 120 times overall.

I guarantee Minnesota considers Iowa a big rival.

I actually really like what the Big Ten did with this model. It protects history without going too far, ensures flexibility if a program moves up/down rapidly and makes sure you see every team in the league on a fairly regular basis. Hopefully the Big 12 follows that plan.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

I actually really like what the Big Ten did with this model. It protects history without going too far, ensures flexibility if a program moves up/down rapidly and makes sure you see every team in the league on a fairly regular basis. Hopefully the Big 12 follows that plan.
Minnesota's main rival is Wisconsin. Their secondary rival is Iowa. However, the gap between the two is quite significant

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009

Pretty sure they were doing a "who hates iowa" chant one time when they had gameday there recently in a game that didn't involve iowa. So they definitely care.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The Nebraska-Iowa rivalry to me is the most contrived and forced of any in the Big 10. A lot of national media talk about it, but that's because it's on Black Friday, and they don't live in Iowa.
And the excuse is Nebraska wouldn’t have a protected rival without Iowa yet PSU doesn’t have one.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
And the excuse is Nebraska wouldn’t have a protected rival without Iowa yet PSU doesn’t have one.
PSU didn't want to get stuck with Rutgers and/or Maryland every year and the Michigan State 'rivalry' only exists because they're the two leftovers that have to play somebody Thanksgiving weekend.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
As forced as Nebraska and Iowa was to start... I see more bad blood on Twitter and via group chats for Nebraska than Wisconsin..

ALL of my Minnesota friends that went to ISU with me don't care about the Iowa versus Minnesota game.. But they all watch Wisconsin

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Iowa's protected rivalries: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin.. How is Minnesota more of a rival than Illinois??

Of course Iowa gets three protected games and no one else gets more than 2
Keep in mind, each team was allowed to choose up to 3 protected rivals. Only Iowa actually selected three.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Keep in mind, each team was allowed to choose up to 3 protected rivals. Only Iowa actually selected three.
Pretty sure they had to be mutual. Iowa was the only one that selected three that also had those three select them back.

Otherwise Ohio State and USC would be protected rivals with everybody.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

It just states the 3 are protected for now also, so two or three years down the road one or more could change.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU