Iowa's football schedule

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Didn’t realize they played this year, but that was obviously before Maryland fell apart. If they played Iowa that early they would have beat them too.

Hahahaha... let me guess, if they would've played on ANY other Saturday WV would've rolled them?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What is it with Iowa and their schedules? Their basketball team's strength of schedule is currently ranked 354th. For some added perspective, there are 358 division 1 teams.

Does that mean Iowa is also the fake ID of college basketball?
No, they still have a Mt Rushmore player, JBo.

dodgerdan

Oct 24, 2015
What is it with Iowa and their schedules? Their basketball team's strength of schedule is currently ranked 354th. For some added perspective, there are 358 division 1 teams.

Does that mean Iowa is also the fake ID of college basketball?

Basketball, unlike football, will completely change when they start big ten play. They play all the big dogs, including Purdue and Michigan twice. Both top 10 teams. But yes, Iowa's non.con schedule this year was really bad. Last year it was pretty tough.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Well, they all have better offenses than Iowa, and the Cyclones struggled mightily in that game. I think Wisconsin and Minnesota would have been down right dog fights, and Penn State with a healthy Clifford is definitely dangerous. Just saying, it's not as easy as people make it out to be. If ISU can have a bad day @ WVU or @ TT, they definitely could have a bad day @ Wisconsin, @ Minnesota, @ Purdue or @ Penn State.

Iowa had 170 yards of offense against Iowa State
None of the teams you mentioned would move the ball either.

You’re really trying too hard here.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa had 170 yards of offense against Iowa State
None of the teams you mentioned would move the ball either.

You’re really trying too hard here.

Iowa didn't need more than 170 yards of offense against Iowa State... the D gave the O half a field to work with pretty much the entire game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Are you sure you shouldn’t be posting on an Iowa message board?

Damn sure.

I'm an ISU fan and if the Hok trolls here are just scratching the surface of whatever they've got at whatever site, no thanks.

You've said:
WV would go 10-2 on a B1G west schedule.
They'd beat Maryland (they lost to Maryland)
I think you were saying they'd beat Iowa early although Iowa rolled Maryland.

Imo both WV and Tech aren't as bad as it seemed, but they're 6-6 for a reason, like ISU is 7-5 for a reason.

ISU does better against their own schedule if they have their **** together but they didn't and that's how that goes.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
So, didn’t read all this thread and don’t really care to. It does remind me though that all fan bases have people who take this sh$t way too seriously. I have been one of those fans. I like to think that as I have aged it has gotten much better. I can now end up enjoying a night with family and friends after an ISU loss when before I never could (would be in a bad mood for days). I’m glad that has changed. Life is so much better.

Anyway, I hate Iowa and want them to loss every game they play. I love ISU and always will. But I’m not going to spend more than a few minutes worrying about how ISU would fair in the B1G west. I could give a sh$t less.

On that note, F Iowa and go Michigan.

Reactions: BCClone and Gonzo

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
How did that happen?
It doesn't matter how. A team can be held under 200 yards, but that same team can still win. A team can also put up over 500 yards and still lose. Sheesh, I saw ISU put up 611 yards and not punt against Oklahoma in 1989 and lose the game 43-40. Point is there are teams in the B1G West that can beat Iowa State, and Iowa is one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Iowa State was poor fundamentally and flinched.

Again.

As I said. There were about 10 plays that were the difference in the season. Iowa State through lack of attention to detail, poor fundamentals, or luck, was on the wrong side of all of them.

it’s exactly how you turn a 10-2 team into a 7-5 team. We deserved the record that we ended up with.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyJack13

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have scored less points than Iowa’s moribund offense head to head for 7 years now. It’s been tougher for Iowa to stop Minnesota, Purdue or Wisconsin than Iowa State’s “vaunted” offense for a number of reasons.

Not to say it's always the case but those teams get film on Iowa and exploit areas vs. the 2nd week of the season.

ISU's defense looked pretty good early in the season but teams found spots and spread them out.

Their offense was limited pretty much all season without threatening over the top.