Iowa vs Villanova

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, Iowa's press worries me too. Uthoff out there at 6'9" on the front end of the press and a huge wingspan makes it pretty difficult. We haven't shown a good ability to break pressure thus far either. That has to be a major concern. As well as Iowa's depth. They are easily an NCAA team this year, no doubt.

On the other side though, I think Iowa will struggle with Kane. And I think Ejim and Niang, provided they aren't in foul trouble, will be tough on the inside too.

Should be a good game. If this were being played at Iowa, I would give them the edge for sure. In Hilton though, I'm hopeful we can pull it out. Both teams are pretty good though.

The only time I can remember struggling with pressure was with Kane out.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
And anybody that thinks Kansas was the #2 ranked team in the country after seeing them, please raise your hand now.....

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
And anybody that thinks Kansas was the #2 ranked team in the country after seeing them, please raise your hand now.....

They were ranked #2 for there solid performance and W against a loaded Duke team, other than that they had faced cupcakes until the Battle for Atlantis tourney.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
They were ranked #2 for there solid performance and W against a loaded Duke team, other than that they had faced cupcakes until the Battle for Atlantis tourney.

Well, this weekend we found out that both KU and Duke aren't all that they were cracked up to be. Both lost.

I think we'll split with KU this year, or could even win both. Wiggins had 6 points against Villanova, and Black had zero. I'm still not sure how good KU really is?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I totally hear you, dude. I remember last year and Villinova beating Louisville and thought "no way Louisville is best team in the nation". Or like totally Kentucky was not the best team considering their SEC conference tourney loss to Vandy. Don't get me started on '10/'11 season and UConn. They lost around 8 or more games? Garbage team - barely top 10 and that's on a really good day.

This logic is so sound after watching one game - even if it's super early in the season.

Breck - you're onto something here. Write a book!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I totally hear you, dude. I remember last year and Villinova beating Louisville and thought "no way Louisville is best team in the nation". Or like totally Kentucky was not the best team considering their SEC conference tourney loss to Vandy. Don't get me started on '10/'11 season and UConn. They lost around 8 or more games? Garbage team - barely top 10 and that's on a really good day.

This logic is so sound after watching one game - even if it's super early in the season.

Breck - you're onto something here. Write a book!

It was more than 1 game. They almost lost to UTEP a day after Iowa destroyed them. I'm sure they'll get better but they're very beatable right now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I believe Duke was #4 and Zona was #6

It was the other way around. I thought KU looked pretty good when they played Duke--very FAST, but they looked pretty pedestrian when Nova came at them on both ends.

'Nova generally looked pretty tough the other night; real gritty.

I need to get to where ISU is playing a lot more often, so I can stop reading about what Iowa is doing.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
FWIW KenPom now has us as a 1 pt favorite of KU at home and only 4 losses over the year although this doesn't factor in percentages which would put us at 7 losses.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The problem with Marble being a go to guy is his lack of free throw ability. I just don't think teams respect him enough to give him the space to create at the end of the game if you need a bucket. The second he starts going around his man they'll just foul him and hope he goes 1 for 2 from the stripe.

Marble shot 81% from the line last season. He didn't shoot them well at Atlantis, but he's a good free throw shooter.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Of course Iowa is going to drop out of the rankings. If they don't, this whole ******* this is stupid. Any team 15-25 that loses should drop out.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Marble shot 81% from the line last season. He didn't shoot them well at Atlantis, but he's a good free throw shooter.

I dont care care what he shot last year. This year he's clanking up there at 70%. When you're go to 1/2 guard shoots FT as well as your 7 footer, that's not a promising sign. If you were the other team, why would you not take the chance of fouling Marble late in the game considering his poor (so far) FT shooting and his ability to create and get the the rim?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
FWIW KenPom now has us as a 1 pt favorite of KU at home and only 4 losses over the year although this doesn't factor in percentages which would put us at 7 losses.

No disrespect intended, but KenPom is worthless until at least late December. It's just too early, too many cupcakes on the menu so far for just about everyone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron