Iowa vs Penn St

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
I'm pumped to see how the Cyclones perform in Oklahoma this weekend. A lot of guys will get a chance for statement performances, and we've seen improvement from week to week.

In Iowa City will be the match of the year. After the Penn St vs Michigan blowout, it would seem The Lions should be the favorites, even in Carver-Hawkeye.

I remember Tom Brands complaining about having to wrestle in Hilton 2 times in a row (because covid caused the 2020 cancellation of the meet scheduled for Iowa City). This will be the second time in a row that Penn St. has had to wrestle in Iowa City, and for the exact same reason. I'm surprised Tom's sense of fairness did not make him insist this match be held in Happy Valley.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm pumped to see how the Cyclones perform in Oklahoma this weekend. A lot of guys will get a chance for statement performances, and we've seen improvement from week to week.

In Iowa City will be the match of the year. After the Penn St vs Michigan blowout, it would seem The Lions should be the favorites, even in Carver-Hawkeye.

I remember Tom Brands complaining about having to wrestle in Hilton 2 times in a row (because covid cause the 2020 cancellation of the meet scheduled for Iowa City). This will be the second time in a row that Penn St. has had to wrestle in Iowa City, and for the exact same reason. I'm surprised Tom's sense of fairness did not make him insist this match be held in Happy Valley.

Something something glass houses....

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I remember Tom Brands complaining about having to wrestle in Hilton 2 times in a row (because covid cause the 2020 cancellation of the meet scheduled for Iowa City). This will be the second time in a row that Penn St. has had to wrestle in Iowa City, and for the exact same reason. I'm surprised Tom's sense of fairness did not make him insist this match be held in Happy Valley.

It would add to Caels legendary status to mention it if they win the dual. Especially if he says word for word what Brands said about having to go to Hilton. Would be an amazing troll job that only a few would get.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
The real question will be what of these things don't happen?

1. RBY catches Desanto and Desanto injury defaults out
  2. Terry runs half ways over to the PSU side only to realize there stands Cael and Varner
  3. Carver 2 seconds into Ayala (if they start at 125) is calling for stalling and yelling they don't like tough wrestling
  4. PSU wins and some walmart hawk fan yells look at the banners you got a long ways to go we invented wrestling

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
PSU 18
Iowa 12

I could see this being closer, I could see an Iowa win if the stars align, but I could also see a PSU blowout. They're rolling like a machine and we're still looking groggy at a few typically reliable weights.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
PSU 18
Iowa 12

I could see this being closer, I could see an Iowa win if the stars align, but I could also see a PSU blowout. They're rolling like a machine and we're still looking groggy at a few typically reliable weights.
I have a similar one. Iowa takes 149, 157, 165, and 174.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if someone pays the Carver Tax and that flips the final score in Iowa's favorite though.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There will be some high level, fun wrestling happening over there. And then the post match talk/story will inevitably be some bs antics Tom and/or Terry pull that overshadow it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
125, 133, 141, 174, 187 - PSU
149, 157, 165 - Iowa

I think Iowa wins one out of 197 and 285 to make it 4-6.

If Ayala and Kem can pull off wins that'd flip it to 6-4.

• Agree
Reactions: fitzgev

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Should be an awesome meet. A couple 1v2 matchups, a 1v3, a 2v3, and really only a couple matches that seem predictable, and even those will be interesting to see how many, if any, bonus points each favorite can get for their team.

I'm not paying OU any money to watch us wrestle them, so I guess I'll be watching this tomorrow night.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
125, 133, 141, 174, 187 - PSU
149, 157, 165 - Iowa

I think Iowa wins one out of 197 and 285 to make it 4-6.

If Ayala and Kem can pull off wins that'd flip it to 6-4.
I think Kem can pull it off against Starocci. In your 197 or 285 situation I dont think Dean is losing so Big Tony would have to do it at HWT. That case would end up at 5-5. But hey 125 Hildebrandt might be the one that pays the carver tax that flips it

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Going to be a really fun dual to watch. Penn State probably the favorite, but of course "Carver" and weird things that happen there. Almost every weight is intriguing...

125 - Hildebrandt is tough and has the experience edge, but I think Ayala is cleary more talented - does veteran savvy win out?
133 - What will Desanto do? Always the million dollar question, but pretty confident RBY has jumped a level ahead of him
141 - If Eierman of this season continues Lee will eat him up, last year those matches were awesome though
149 - This will be a snoozer 3-2 match or SV type of, I'd probably pick Murin to edge it as Bartlett is a 141 making it work up a weight
157 - The only who gives a crap match of the night, Young will win in another boring one
165 - Marinelli should be the favorite, but two wrestlers trending different directions, this will be a tight one
174 - How healthy is Kemerer? Starocci is a stud, but if Kem is 100% this probaly looks a lot like the NCAA finals
184 - Assad can probably keep it respectable, but Brooks really isn't danger here
197 - Dean would be favorite, but is there much to separate these guys? Not really, but Warner's gas tank issues probably could be an issue
285 - Kerkvliet fully healthy is so damn good, I don't think Cassioppi is ready for that smoke but if he can get on top it could be problems

I'm going PSU 21-9, dropping 149, 157, and 165.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Really feels like Iowa would have to catch and stick a guy to make it possible. I just don't see a PSU wrestler who might be that guy.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Can't wait for this dual. @crablegs is claiming on the PSU boards that Ayala is injured and won't be wrestling, which would be a major blow to Iowa's chances. Below are my predictions if Ayala goes:

125- Ayala by decision in a minor upset. 3-0 Iowa
133- Desanto hasn't beat RBY in a long time, and don't think he does Friday. 3-3
141- Lee is just wrestling better than Eierman right now, don't see Lee losing this one. 6-3 PSU
149- Must win here for Iowa. I think it will be close, but Murin wins on a late TD. 6-6
157- KY will win by 3-4 points. 9-6 Iowa
165- I don't see Marinelli losing at Carver, but wouldn't be surprised if Berge flips the results come March. 12-6 Iowa
174- Might be match of the dual. Really depends how healthy Kem is, but I think Starocci wins a close one. 12-9 Iowa
184- Brooks is just on another level than Abe, and I think Brooks will know that a major could be the difference in the dual. The greats find a way to get majors when their teams need it. 13-12 PSU
197- I think Dean is slightly overrated, and Warner finds ways to win close matches. Give me Warner by a 1 point decision. 15-13 Iowa
Hwt- Kerk is a different beast this year. Cass is a very good wrestler, but think Kerk wins this comfortably (3-4 points). 16-15 PSU

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Can't wait for this dual. @crablegs is claiming on the PSU boards that Ayala is injured and won't be wrestling, which would be a major blow to Iowa's chances. Below are my predictions if Ayala goes:

125- Ayala by decision in a minor upset. 3-0 Iowa
133- Desanto hasn't beat RBY in a long time, and don't think he does Friday. 3-3
141- Lee is just wrestling better than Eierman right now, don't see Lee losing this one. 6-3 PSU
149- Must win here for Iowa. I think it will be close, but Murin wins on a late TD. 6-6
157- KY will win by 3-4 points. 9-6 Iowa
165- I don't see Marinelli losing at Carver, but wouldn't be surprised if Berge flips the results come March. 12-6 Iowa
174- Might be match of the dual. Really depends how healthy Kem is, but I think Starocci wins a close one. 12-9 Iowa
184- Brooks is just on another level than Abe, and I think Brooks will know that a major could be the difference in the dual. The greats find a way to get majors when their teams need it. 13-12 PSU
197- I think Dean is slightly overrated, and Warner finds ways to win close matches. Give me Warner by a 1 point decision. 15-13 Iowa
Hwt- Kerk is a different beast this year. Cass is a very good wrestler, but think Kerk wins this comfortably (3-4 points). 16-15 PSU
If this is how it ends up do we just go ahead and say one of the best duals in the last how many years in all of college wrestling?

Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
If this is how it ends up do we just go ahead and say one of the best duals in the last how many years in all of college wrestling?
It has a chance to be one of the all time greats. Just hope Ayala is healthy and gets a chance to go against Hildebrandt to give us the best dual possible.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
It has a chance to be one of the all time greats. Just hope Ayala is healthy and gets a chance to go against Hildebrandt to give us the best dual possible.
Weird crab is saying he isn’t healthy. There is zero talk on any of the groups or discords that I’ve seen

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The real question will be what of these things don't happen?

1. RBY catches Desanto and Desanto injury defaults out
  2. Terry runs half ways over to the PSU side only to realize there stands Cael and Varner
  3. Carver 2 seconds into Ayala (if they start at 125) is calling for stalling and yelling they don't like tough wrestling
  4. PSU wins and some walmart hawk fan yells look at the banners you got a long ways to go we invented wrestling

I would love Terry to get in Caels and Jakes face, they would hopefully snap him in half.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Weird crab is saying he isn’t healthy. There is zero talk on any of the groups or discords that I’ve seen

I didn't believe it either, but it was interesting that Ybarra was listed as an option in the pre-meet notes. Ultimately, we likely won't know until the match starts. If Ybarra does go, Crabs has some damn good sources

Ocy Docy

Oct 26, 2018
How is the beginning weight decided? There are so many potentially great matches. Would starting at 125 create the most suspense or might it lessen it if Ayala can't go?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron