Iowa vs Notre Dame

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I think Iowa has done a decent job of adapting to the new hand check rules. Either because they rotate 10-11 guys so they're always pretty fresh, or because if they foul in practice Francis hits you with a 2x4. Prolly the latter.

Iowa wasn't an overly physical team last year, either. The new rules definitely help a team like Iowa much more than other Big Ten or Big East teams (which Notre Dame's team is, essentially).

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa wasn't an overly physical team last year, either. The new rules definitely help a team like Iowa much more than other Big Ten or Big East teams (which Notre Dame's team is, essentially).

Much more? It hasn't even been proven it helps them at all compared to other teams this year. Wisconsin and Mich State have always been known to play physical but it hasn't slowed them down at all

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Iowa will get a bump by playing at ISU, ISU will get a bigger bump with their upcoming tournament. I expect them to have the edge in non con SOS when it's all said and done.

I don't think the end of season SOS will end up the same though. The bottom of the Big 12 is really going to drive down ISU's SOS.

The past two seasons the teams have ended up with very similar SOS, but local Iowa media and Hawkeye fans too lazy to bother with reality went on and about the strength of the Big Ten as a excuse why Hoiball was doing better than Iowa.

Look at the conference schedules right now. ISU has 6 games against ranked opponents in conference, Iowa has 8 against ranked opponents but likely next week will also have 6 on the BIG schedule. The media goes nuts about B1G basketball and I agree it has been the deepest and best conference overall just the past two seasons but it's not like SEC football where it's #1 by a mile. The ACC, Big 12, Big East and even Pac 12 so far this year aren't drastically different.

The only real difference in the schedule is the Big 12 has two really really bad teams. People acting like Oklahoma, Texas, K State and WVU are drastically worse than 7-10 range of the Big Ten are simple homers. TCU and Tech truly do suck compared to the bottom of the Big Ten though.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The past two seasons the teams have ended up with very similar SOS, but local Iowa media and Hawkeye fans too lazy to bother with reality went on and about the strength of the Big Ten as a excuse why Hoiball was doing better than Iowa.

Look at the conference schedules right now. ISU has 6 games against ranked opponents in conference, Iowa has 8 against ranked opponents but likely next week will also have 6 on the BIG schedule. The media goes nuts about B1G basketball and I agree it has been the deepest and best conference overall just the past two seasons but it's not like SEC football where it's #1 by a mile. The ACC, Big 12, Big East and even Pac 12 so far this year aren't drastically different.

The only real difference in the schedule is the Big 12 has two really really bad teams. People acting like Oklahoma, Texas, K State and WVU are drastically worse than 7-10 range of the Big Ten are simple homers. TCU and Tech truly do suck compared to the bottom of the Big Ten though.

Some of that is true, but Iowa only playing the worst Big 10 teams once makes their schedule harder than ISU's conference schedule.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Much more? It hasn't even been proven it helps them at all compared to other teams this year. Wisconsin and Mich State have always been known to play physical but it hasn't slowed them down at all

You can't possibly think Wisconsin is CAPABLE of slowing down even more.

In all seriousness, though, Wisconsin hasn't really played anyone outside of Florida, who is a little tough to get a handle on right now as far as how good they really are. Assuming the rules are still enforced, you likely won't see a big impact on them until conference play starts. They simply overmatch most of their opponents right now.

Michigan State won't be hurt, but they won't be helped, either. They can play however they want to, considering the athletes they have every year. Wisconsin isn't a team I'd put in that category. They've made up for a lack of athleticism with physical defense and flopping, neither of which will work very consistently under the new rules.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

In all seriousness, though, Wisconsin hasn't really played anyone outside of Florida, who is a little tough to get a handle on right now as far as how good they really are. Assuming the rules are still enforced, you likely won't see a big impact on them until conference play starts. They simply overmatch most of their opponents right now.

Michigan State won't be hurt, but they won't be helped, either. They can play however they want to, considering the athletes they have every year. Wisconsin isn't a team I'd put in that category. They've made up for a lack of athleticism with physical defense and flopping, neither of which will work very consistently under the new rules.

Just not one to understand how this rule change helps Iowa so much more than every other team in the country. Marble's the only real one Iowa has to drive so I guess it could help him if his FT shooting improves but don't see anything else on the offensive side of the ball it really helps. White's going to get to the line regardless what the rules are.

How does Iowa make up for their lack of athleticism?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

How can Wisconsin possibly flop more than White?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Just not one to understand how this rule change helps Iowa so much more than every other team in the country. Marble's the only real one Iowa has to drive so I guess it could help him if his FT shooting improves but don't see anything else on the offensive side of the ball it really helps. White's going to get to the line regardless what the rules are.

More fouls means more trips to the line for one of the best free throw shooting teams in the country. If teams back off and play by the rules, resulting in fewer fouls, then a team that wants to get out an run has the freedom to do so. If you can't see how the rules help Iowa more than MOST teams (especially within what's been a very physical conference), then you're just trolling.

As for making up for lack of athleticism, Iowa plays a fair amount of zone and does a great job of closing out on shooters while doing that. No one will confuse Iowa with Syracuse, but their zone defense is pretty salty.

How can Wisconsin possibly flop more than White?

White does most of his flopping on offense to get to the line (few players do that more often, or more effectively, than White, I'll give you that). Wisconsin flops on defense all the time, and that's going to be a tougher call to get this year.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
More fouls means more trips to the line for one of the best free throw shooting teams in the country. If teams back off and play by the rules, resulting in fewer fouls, then a team that wants to get out an run has the freedom to do so. If you can't see how the rules help Iowa more than MOST teams (especially within what's been a very physical conference), then you're just trolling.

As for making up for lack of athleticism, Iowa plays a fair amount of zone and does a great job of closing out on shooters while doing that. No one will confuse Iowa with Syracuse, but their zone defense is pretty salty.

White does most of his flopping on offense to get to the line (few players do that more often, or more effectively, than White, I'll give you that). Wisconsin flops on defense all the time, and that's going to be a tougher call to get this year.

Not trolling at all. If anything the new rules helps teams in the half court offense which Iowa struggles with anyways

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Don't get in his way, he's on a roll with that absurdity.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
When Gessell fouls out, then Marble is the PG. Just give Mikey a chance to commit some early fouls.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron