Iowa State Wrestling tournament

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"Wrestling from your knees is stalling" "It can't be stalling if the clocks not ticking" - A few people are making up rules as we go. LOL

I guess Drake Ayala was stalling when he was wrestling from his knees a good portion of that match. How about when David Carr does it? SMH
Jordan Burroughs was the guy who started the trend. I never figured him as a staller.

Reactions: CyGold

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
"Wrestling from your knees is stalling" "It can't be stalling if the clocks not ticking" - A few people are making up rules as we go. LOL

I guess Drake Ayala was stalling when he was wrestling from his knees a good portion of that match. How about when David Carr does it? SMH
Well, they actually shoot from their knees, so there’s that. SMH
Not making it up.

Burroughs never hung out on his knees like that. Got there from defending shots and then reshooting. Big difference.

I don’t agree with booing a high school state champion who won by scoring the only offensive points. I don’t agree with refs trying to decide matches based on who they like. Got enough of that as an Iowa State fan over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyputz

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Well, they actually shoot from their knees, so there’s that. SMH
Not making it up.

Burroughs never hung out on his knees like that. Got there from defending shots and then reshooting. Big difference.

I don’t agree with booing a high school state champion who won by scoring the only offensive points. I don’t agree with refs trying to decide matches based on who they like. Got enough of that as an Iowa State fan over the years.
Soooo - Burroughs is OK to wrestle from his knees because it's different. The refs are trying to decide matches based on who they like by calling stalling on someone who was actually stalling. Did I get that right?

btw - I'm sorry your son lost his match.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I’m not a fan of wrestling on the knees at all. It is a pure defensive position, and there is no denying it.

Im a huge Ayala fan, and he fires off more attacks than anyone, but he should be forced to get off his knees.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Jordan Burroughs was the guy who started the trend. I never figured him as a staller.
Soooo - Burroughs is OK to wrestle from his knees because it's different. The refs are trying to decide matches based on who they like by calling stalling on someone who was actually stalling. Did I get that right?

btw - I'm sorry your son lost his match.
What are you talking about? Lost what match? I thought the right kid won. That made no sense.
Read what Crablegs wrote-maybe you don’t understand wrestling well enough to know what stalling is and isn’t. I’m not going to waste my time explaining wrestling to you. If you think booing is ok that’s your problem.

Last edited:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
With waverly kids Wartburg is always an option.
Typically yes but not this kid, he will be D1. Just beat Rathjen who is a hawk now and Riggins is only a Jr. He will continue to get better and should be a top 10 guy at his weight nationally next year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With waverly kids Wartburg is always an option.
I've had conversations with those associated with Wartburg wrestling and they've told me more than once that Wartburg being in Waverly can actually hurt them more than it can help them with getting WSR kids. Kids want to get out of town and see something different in their college years. I can't say I blame them.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
What are you talking about? Lost what match? I thought the right kid won. That made no sense.
Read what Crablegs wrote-maybe you don’t understand wrestling well enough to know what stalling is and isn’t. I’m not going to waste my time explaining wrestling to you. If you think booing is ok that’s your problem.
I was just joking with the comment about your son losing. I don't even know if you have a son and I interpreted your point of view as if your son (or someone close to you) was the one whom "The ref's didn't like". I probably crossed a line on that and for that I apologize.

As for the booing - If you read all of my posts I didn't address this at all because I don't personally don't agree with booing a high school kid.

We can also agree to disagree on what is, or is not stalling. We're all wrestling fans here and I welcome your POV regardless if I agree with it or not. It's a great sport and I do believe we all want what's best for the competitors and teams.

Go Cyclones!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't care if the kid lays on his stomach and still is firing off shots and being offense minded. Standing on your feet and collar tying is not offense in my mind, so I don't care if they wrestle on their knees or whatever. Are they trying to kill time? Then it's stalling.

I don't care for booing at all. When I was in the corner, I had discussions with refs that just tying up and shoving kids around the mat wasn't offense, it was just shoving. Need to be creating offense in my opinion. Maybe you love watching ear to ear, but it's pretty much impossible to hit shots in that position.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I was just joking with the comment about your son losing. I don't even know if you have a son and I interpreted your point of view as if your son (or someone close to you) was the one whom "The ref's didn't like". I probably crossed a line on that and for that I apologize.

As for the booing - If you read all of my posts I didn't address this at all because I don't personally don't agree with booing a high school kid.

We can also agree to disagree on what is, or is not stalling. We're all wrestling fans here and I welcome your POV regardless if I agree with it or not. It's a great sport and I do believe we all want what's best for the competitors and teams.

Go Cyclones!
I appreciate that, thank you. Yes, we are wrestling fans and Cyclone fans. I think we agree more than disagree, it’s just harder to explain on a message board than in person.
I dislike stalling just as much as poor sportsmanship and showboating.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I don't care if the kid lays on his stomach and still is firing off shots and being offense minded. Standing on your feet and collar tying is not offense in my mind, so I don't care if they wrestle on their knees or whatever. Are they trying to kill time? Then it's stalling.

I don't care for booing at all. When I was in the corner, I had discussions with refs that just tying up and shoving kids around the mat wasn't offense, it was just shoving. Need to be creating offense in my opinion. Maybe you love watching ear to ear, but it's pretty much impossible to hit shots in that position.
Again, I think we agree more than disagree. Lots of ways to stall, doesn’t always get called the same or fairly. Much easier to discuss in person I realize.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Saw someone mention the Villaescusa (Gilbert) v. Mooberry (Osage) match in the finals round, I believe.

I didn't catch the whole thing, but from what I saw it looked like Villaescusa would have had a couple few takedowns on the edge had it been a college meet and easily could have been a state champ as it looked like he pretty handily beat everyone else he saw. In the end, Mooberry won 5-4 without really taking a shot that I saw. To his credit, Mooberry looks to have some standout D.

What are the HS out-of-bounds rules?

Also, if Villaescusa doesn't mind wrestling where his Dad coaches, he looks like he could be a solid guy for the Cyclones in a couple of years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Saw someone mention the Villaescusa (Gilbert) v. Mooberry (Osage) match in the finals round, I believe.

I didn't catch the whole thing, but from what I saw it looked like Villaescusa would have had a couple few takedowns on the edge had it been a college meet and easily could have been a state champ as it looked like he pretty handily beat everyone else he saw. In the end, Mooberry won 5-4 without really taking a shot that I saw. To his credit, Mooberry looks to have some standout D.

What are the HS out-of-bounds rules?

Also, if Villaescusa doesn't mind wrestling where his Dad coaches, he looks like he could be a solid guy for the Cyclones in a couple of years.
HS is supposed to be 2 supporting points in counts, but it’s all up to the ref. Son had a TD to advance to state a few years back in where three were in and was still called out.

• Informative
Reactions: DantheFan

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
HS is supposed to be 2 supporting points in counts, but it’s all up to the ref. Son had a TD to advance to state a few years back in where three were in and was still called out.
Wow - I saw many matches with 2 supporting point in-bounds on TD attempts when they called it OOB. Thanks for the clarification. To be fair the college OOB rules are so much easier to understand and ref. I wonder if this is a change they are considering. I love how the college rules have evolved (OOB rule, injury TO rule, 4 point near fall, 5 seconds on the lower leg is stalling, etc). The sport is only getting better in my opinion... I can see a push out rule next which (I'm in favor of). At least make the person whom steps out first get an automatic stall.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wow - I saw many matches with 2 supporting point in-bounds on TD attempts when they called it OOB. Thanks for the clarification. To be fair the college OOB rules are so much easier to understand and ref. I wonder if this is a change they are considering. I love how the college rules have evolved (OOB rule, injury TO rule, 4 point near fall, 5 seconds on the lower leg is stalling, etc). The sport is only getting better in my opinion... I can see a push out rule next which (I'm in favor of). At least make the person whom steps out first get an automatic stall.
The biggest issue with HSs is mat and gym size. Too many mats are not big enough to drag toes for a take down or even some gyms the wrestler is into the wall when two mats are down. Why Dollamur mats got more popular. They are easier to leave out an outside section in the middle and have more exterior space than the resilite mats.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Recruiting will be interesting. I think there will be a fair amount of transfers with the free year and dead period where freshmen weren't allowed to do official visits to campus and having to stay at the 9.9 scholarships except for your seniors coming back.

With 2 classes of freshman next year, and the 4 classes of redshirts, that is a lot to keep at 9.9 scholarships.