Iowa State wins the Cy-Hawk Trophy for the year

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just saw this, figured we had lost the year after Hawks had the lead 13-8 with football, WBB, wrestling etc. However, we rallied back in the spring and picked up the academics points to win 14-13. Makes us 3-1-1 over the last five years for the trophy. :D

http://cyclones.com/news/2018/5/24/...celebrate-excellence-in-iowa-corn-series.aspx

image_handler.aspx

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
And someplace two Tavern Hoks hear about the Cy-Hawk Series for the first time...

c1920x1080_30.jpg

"The CyClowns probably haven't ever scored a point in that thing, have they?"

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp and NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's interesting how close this is every year considering how tavern hawks ( who only watch football and maybe brag about wrestling) think our entire athletic program is a dumpster fire when compared to the mighty Iowa.

We are currently #43 in the Directors Cup thingy, respectable considering the minimal sports we field. We were up to #32. Iowa is at #53 but way behind the six Big 10 teams in the top twenty. We aren't doing bad considering we came up goose eggs for points in MBB/WBB and got zippo from mens indoor, swimming and softball which is the norm. Going to get some more spring points in golf and outdoor track so we aren't done yet and can maybe hang on to something 40ish.

Interesting that another program Hawks love to deride, the Gophers, are #9 and sitting there in some elite power house schools in the Top 10. Every other Top 10 has football cred the Gophers don't have.

• Agree
Reactions: Prone2Clone

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

I get the humor in this, but have to share that after living in Africa for 4 years for work, I learned not to laugh at this particular reference. During the Rawandan genocide, they referred to people as cockroaches to dehumanize them and make it easier to kill them. Thus, while I understand the good-natured humor play, I can no longer laugh at it. ...cue the buzzkill comments. If you want to read a GREAT book on the subject, try Left to Tell by Immaculee Iligabiza

• Dislike
Reactions: TXCyclones

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013
Can't ever figure this thing out. We lost one year, but Iowa was last or second to last in BONEG. We win this year by one or two but Iowa was terrible. Seems like we lost points somewhere.

Would be interested in knowing more about the criteria. Seems like our margin is never as big as I envision.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I get the humor in this, but have to share that after living in Africa for 4 years for work, I learned not to laugh at this particular reference. During the Rawandan genocide, they referred to people as cockroaches to dehumanize them and make it easier to kill them. Thus, while I understand the good-natured humor play, I can no longer laugh at it. ...cue the buzzkill comments. If you want to read a GREAT book on the subject, try Left to Tell by Immaculee Iligabiza
I've read it. Powerful.

Reactions: CyberJJJ

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Saw the Don Cheadle movie. I are don't read books. Thanks though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron