Iowa State vs. Iowa player by player matchups

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My goodness I realize it is a long time between games but this obsession with a non conference game in the middle of December is a little over the top.

This isn't KU, OSU, or even Baylor coming to Hilton Friday. I've only watched them play for a few minutes and they appeared to be an ok team but they sure don't pass the eye test as an elite team. My quick assessment which may admittedly be too hasty was that I don't think they would finish in the top half of the B12. They reminded me a little of KSU without the athleticism of a KSU team.

If we do not play well a team like this could beat us at home which would suck but it will not make a major difference in the overall success of our season either way.

It's not even that great of a rivalry. I mean since Fred has been coach he has twice as many wins in the series than Fran and Fran hasn't even won at Hilton yet. Pretty lopsided...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's not even that great of a rivalry. I mean since Fred has been coach he has twice as many wins in the series than Fran and Fran hasn't even won at Hilton yet. Pretty lopsided...

But it is a rivalry none-the-less and as such it is for bragging rights. It means more to the fans and players on both sides because they know they are going to hear about the outcome for the next 365 days if not more. How much smack would they have heard from Michigan fans during the next year if they had lost that game? How much ink would the press give it after and at this time next year?

And yes, I said both sides. Whether the particular Iowa fan you talk to will admit it or not, it does mean more to both sides than your average non-con game because of the bragging rights and all of the baggage that comes with it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't think that "player-by-player matchups" is the best way to analyze this game, particularly because Hoiberg tries so hard to create mis-matches?

Reactions: necromancy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But it is a rivalry none-the-less and as such it is for bragging rights. It means more to the fans and players on both sides because they know they are going to hear about the outcome for the next 365 days if not more. How much smack would they have heard from Michigan fans during the next year if they had lost that game? How much ink would the press give it after and at this time next year?

And yes, I said both sides. Whether the particular Iowa fan you talk to will admit it or not, it does mean more to both sides than your average non-con game because of the bragging rights and all of the baggage that comes with it.

Yeah I was joking. It's a big game for both teams but for different reasons. It'd be a big win for Iowa and ISU needs to protect their home court

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
My biggest worry in this game is matching up on McCabe when he comes off the bench. He's got the height and 3-point range to cause some issues if he gets in rhythm, and i'm not certain who defends him. Don't think he's a good matchup for Naz, Matt, or DeAndre. I'm guessing Hogue, but we could get into some matchup issues on the wing if they overload the position at any one point.

McCabe plays the 4 or the 5. Any of Hogue, Ejim or Niang will guard him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My biggest worry in this game is matching up on McCabe when he comes off the bench. He's got the height and 3-point range to cause some issues if he gets in rhythm, and i'm not certain who defends him. Don't think he's a good matchup for Naz, Matt, or DeAndre. I'm guessing Hogue, but we could get into some matchup issues on the wing if they overload the position at any one point.

I'm guessing you're not too concerned about this game then...

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
McCabe is a key matchup. He a tough dude and really brings it physically. His 3 point shot is actually pretty good this year too, I'd even argue he is currently their most consistent outside threat. Again, if I'm a Hawkeye fan I'm scratching my head as to why Woodbury starts over Olaseni. They are both the same height, but Olaseni actually has some build to him AND he is wayyyyy more athletic than Woodbury. I've seen Olaseni run the court and get a few ally oops and dunks, Woodbury hardly dunks for being 7 feet. Olaseni also has a pretty decent mid range jumper for being a 7 footer too.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
See, I think stopping Woodbury is a bigger issue than most on here. He gave us trouble last year. The one thing that we don't have is size, and despite our guys being more skilled and athletic then him I think we may have trouble stopping him. Now, his ability to guard someone on the other side of the floor is a different story...

Bring in the BullEndozier, dude will break him

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
McCabe is a key matchup. He a tough dude and really brings it physically. His 3 point shot is actually pretty good this year too, I'd even argue he is currently their most consistent outside threat. Again, if I'm a Hawkeye fan I'm scratching my head as to why Woodbury starts over Olaseni. They are both the same height, but Olaseni actually has some build to him AND he is wayyyyy more athletic than Woodbury. I've seen Olaseni run the court and get a few ally oops and dunks, Woodbury hardly dunks for being 7 feet. Olaseni also has a pretty decent mid range jumper for being a 7 footer too.
Look at how the minutes usually shake out. Olaseni plays way more than woodbury so I could care less who starts.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My guess is Iowa will try to pound inside with Woodbury and Olaseni and try to get Ejim/Hogue/Niang in early foul trouble. It will work briefly, until Fred sends Edozie and Gibson in to knock some heads together, give a couple hard fouls and force Iowa to do something different. Seems Iowa is one team that will somehow make Iowa State pay for being undersized. No one else seems able to capitalize on that, but it's an old tried and true formula for the Hoks for whatever reason.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I don't think Iowa is as good as many of the top teams on our schedule, but I do think they match up better with us than most teams. It is going to be hard for Fred to create his normal mis-matches unless they play Woodbury a bunch. I think we need to shoot the 3 great and Hilton needs to be rock'n. Historically, one kid normally has a super game and his team wins. I'm hoping Ejim has a Lafester kind of night.

sammmidd

Dec 5, 2013
If you don't think McCabe is going to a factor in the game, you should just not ever post about basketball again, from either side.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't think Iowa is as good as many of the top teams on our schedule, but I do think they match up better with us than most teams. It is going to be hard for Fred to create his normal mis-matches unless they play Woodbury a bunch. I think we need to shoot the 3 great and Hilton needs to be rock'n. Historically, one kid normally has a super game and his team wins. I'm hoping Ejim has a Lafester kind of night.

And don't call me Shirley.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
If you don't think McCabe is going to a factor in the game, you should just not ever post about basketball again, from either side.

He will be a factor in that he will play in the game. Excuse us if we aren't gameplanning for an unathletic 6'7" white dude that averages 9.5 points. He's a role player.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
My prediction for McCabe: He will hit a couple threes, get his shot blocked 3-5 times, get called for a block trying to take a charge, stare at the ref like a doofus, lower his shoulder and bump an ISU player, lose the ball trying to dribble.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
If Ejim and/or Niang get into foul trouble who come in first, Edozie or Gibson? Both seem to have been productive in the minutes they've had this year, personally I'd say Edozie comes in before Gibson.